HELP!!! My New puppy wont pee outside!!!

Old March 27th 07, 02:32 AM
Tinksmomma Tinksmomma is offline
Junior Member

Send a message via AIM to Tinksmomma
Default HELP!!! My New puppy wont pee outside!!!

I just recently got a new long haired Chihuahua. She is 13 weeks old and her name is Tink. Shes the sweetest little girl and she behaves so well. She will poo for me every time I take her outside but I have yet to be able to get her to pee outside. I stand outside with her for atleast 15 minutes(most of the time more.) She poops and I still wait for her to pee and she gets bored and starts playing. I keep putting her in the yard and telling her to "go potty", but she wont. So I give up and take her inside. But within afew minutes she pees inside. Ive tried picking her up before shes done and taking her outside but she still wont go. Im not sure what to do? Its very frustrating.

Last edited by Tinksmomma : March 27th 07 at 04:35 AM.
Old March 27th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

On 2007-03-26 21:32:29 -0400, Tinksmomma
said:

I keep putting her in the
yard and telling her to "go potty", but she wont. So I give up and take
her inside. But within afew minutes she pees inside. Ive tried picking
her up before shes done and taking her outside but she still wont go.
Im not sure what to do? Its very frustrating.

Are you going outside with her? When you bring her back inside, are you
crating her for a few minutes and taking her back outside again?

Have you cleaned where she pees indoors with an enzyme cleaner?

What have you done to eliminate all opportunities for her to make a
mistake indoors?

Great questions, all. One that I'd add (from experience with
Chihuahuas): is the grass long enough where you take her to
tickle her butt when she squats? A forest of grass (from a
Chihuahua pup's point of view) can be an obstacle to peeing. If
the grass is long in the designated spot, try keeping it trimmed
to "putting green" length for a while, until she gets accustomed
to going there.

A couple more suggestions on eliminating the opportunity indoors
- it's much more effective if you can prevent the behavior:

Take her out regularly - every couple of hours, and especially
right after getting up from sleep.

Don't let her roam around the house freely unless she has just
peed within the past hour. Tether her to you or carry her in a
sling when you can, otherwise keep her confined in her crate.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old March 27th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

On Mar 26, 9:32 pm, Tinksmomma
wrote:
I just recently got a new long haired Chihuahua. She is 13 weeks old and
her name is Tink. Shes the sweetest little girl and she behaves so well.
She will poo for me every time I take her outside but I have yet to be
able to get her to pee outside. I stand outside with her for atleast 15
minutes(most of the time more.) She poops and I still wait for her to
pee and she gets bored and starts playing. I keep putting her in the
yard and telling her to "go potty", but she wont. So I give up and take
her inside. But within afew minutes she pees inside. Ive tried picking
her up before shes done and taking her outside but she still wont go.
Im not sure what to do? Its very frustrating.

--
Tinksmomma

When she pees inside rub her nose in it tell her no.Then carry her to
the door and you whine at the door with you holding her up on her hine
feet.Then carry her outside tell to go pee not potty.

Old March 27th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
frog wrote:

I found much of this advice confusing. For example,

When she pees inside rub her nose in it tell her no.

I'm unclear on why she should have her nose rubbed in it
rather than, say, her ears. Also,

Then carry her outside tell to go pee not potty.

My dogs are Siberian Huskies, and I don't know *any* words
in the Chukchi language. What should someone whose dogs
come from a non-English-speaking country do?

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 27th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

frog wrote:

When she pees inside rub her nose in it tell her no.Then carry her to
the door and you whine at the door with you holding her up on her hine
feet.Then carry her outside tell to go pee not potty.

That's about the worst advice I've ever read. That is, the parts of
it that were parsable.

--
Shelly
Old March 27th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Melinda Shore wrote:

I'm unclear on why she should have her nose rubbed in it
rather than, say, her ears. Also,

Noses are easier to clean? Personally, I prefer that *no* portion
of my dog's body be shoved in waste matter. O ick!

My dogs are Siberian Huskies, and I don't know *any* words
in the Chukchi language. What should someone whose dogs
come from a non-English-speaking country do?

I dunno, but I guess I'd better sign up for a German class tout de
suite!

--
Shelly
Old March 27th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Tinksmomma" wrote in message

I just recently got a new long haired Chihuahua. She is 13 weeks old and
her name is Tink. Shes the sweetest little girl and she behaves so well.
She will poo for me every time I take her outside but I have yet to be
able to get her to pee outside. I stand outside with her for atleast 15
minutes(most of the time more.) She poops and I still wait for her to
pee and she gets bored and starts playing. I keep putting her in the
yard and telling her to "go potty", but she wont. So I give up and take
her inside. But within afew minutes she pees inside. Ive tried picking
her up before shes done and taking her outside but she still wont go.
Im not sure what to do? Its very frustrating.

============
This might be worth a try. Try putting her on a leash and walking her.
Allow her to stop and sniff the ground once in awhile and maybe she will
pee. If there are places where other dogs walk near you, they usually sniff
those spots and leave their own mark on it. Of course, praise her when she
does pee outdoors. If she does not pee after a lot of walking, bring her
back in and put her in her cage, wait awhile and try it again. Eventually,
she will have to go and will not want to soil her cage. If you have an area
outdoors where other dogs walk, that might stimulate her to mark that spot.
If not, just keep walking her around on the leash allowing her to sniff. I
think eventually you'll get lucky.

Old March 28th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

On Mar 27, 1:16 pm, Rocky wrote:
"frog" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

When she pees inside rub her nose in it tell her no.Then
carry her to the door and you whine at the door with you
holding her up on her hine feet.Then carry her outside tell
to go pee not potty.

Incomplete advice. You forgot the part where you disrobe and
squat on the lawn to show her how it's done.

ooooh! My neighbors are in for a treat soon!!