A better Pooper Scooper??

Old March 27th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
whostolemybike

Default A better Pooper Scooper??

Hello Folks,

I'm a design student doing some research for a school project. I'm in
a class called "Design for An aging Population"
we have been looking at products which could be redesigned to better
suit the traits of elderly people. You can read a little more about
the class he http://web.mac.com/ghougan/iWeb/Desi...0/Welcome.html
, if you like.

Our final project is to redesign a pet product for elderly people.
As I'm sure many of you pet lovers know pets have been proven to
greatly improve the quality of life of
elderly people. As a result of this more and more elderly people are
getting pets.
The product that I have chosen to attempt to redesign is the pooper
scooper.

And I have a couple of questions for you folks.

What kind of pooper scooper/ poop scooping method do you find works
the best?

Is there a brand name for this product?

What are the biggest problems that you have with the product/method
you use?

Thats pretty much it.

Thanks a lot.

Old March 27th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

whostolemybike wrote:
[...]

12 year old boy wearing latex gloves and carrying a plastic grocery bag.

Is there a brand name for this product?

Julian.

What are the biggest problems that you have with the product/method
you use?

Needs reminding.

Thats pretty much it.

Thanks a lot.

Old March 27th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

My biggest gripe is none of them on the market have a handle long enough for
me to use without having to stoop over. I have a bad back and bending over
even leaning over puts me in pain.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old March 27th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

[...]

We have multiple dogs.

We use a plastic manure shovel and a straight-edged hoe.

Kind of heavy.

Would be nice if the shovel had a longer and bent handle, more ergonomic,
and if it also had a "rest" so that I didn't always have to hold it up.
I'll bend over a bit and rest the handle against my left leg, and use the
hoe to pull the waste onto the shovel. If I could rest the shovel (on a
tripod?) that would be convenient.

What I like about the method, though, is it holds a lot of poop before I
have to dump it.

flick 100785

Old March 27th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

whostolemybike wrote:

The product that I have chosen to attempt to redesign is the pooper
scooper.

That should be fun!

And I have a couple of questions for you folks.

What kind of pooper scooper/ poop scooping method do you find works
the best?

I use a plastic dustpan (I think it may be also called a "lobby
pan") that's hinged to a 3' handle, closed on all but one side.
It lies flat on the ground while I swipe in the poop with a small
rake with closely-spaced teeth, and then swings down when I lift
the handle so that the poop is contained in the bottom. The pan
measures about 1' x 1' x 3". I periodically dump it in a bucket.

Is there a brand name for this product?

Probably, but I don't recall it. It resembles the waste pans
that I've seen janitors use to sweep up bits of stray dirt.

What are the biggest problems that you have with the product/method
you use?

The handle on the dustpan is too short. And I'm only 5'5". And
if the capacity of the dustpan were greater, I wouldn't need the
bucket.

Writing this made me wonder if using the rake to pull the poop
into a back-saver snow shovel (with a bent handle) would work
just as well - or would there be a problem with picking it up and
dumping it into a bucket? Maybe I'll try this tomorrow...

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old March 27th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
chris jung

[...]

I use one of these from PetEdge:
X-Large Poop Scoop with Aluminum Handle : http://tinyurl.com/2xqnop

Is there a brand name for this product?

none that I know of

What are the biggest problems that you have with the product/method
you use?

We have two collies, our tenants (two vet students) have two large dogs and
we often have visiting dogs. I'm the one who does the poop patrol. I've
tried making do with other things (using a regular hoe & dustbin/shovel to
hold the poop) but a real poop scooper works the best for me. I'm short
(5'1") and the handles are just long enough. I like the angle and size of
the "hoe" part. I've used this thing for about 8 years and I've developed
some finesse with it and can pick up even little poops (from Smudgie the
Lhasa) with little difficulty. The only problem I had was from me using the
"hoe" edge to chip frozen poop from ice and the edge was bent badly. My DH,
Dave, used pliers and straightened it out again. I tried to be more careful
this winter and it's still ok. On one hand, I wish the bin part could hold
more so I didn't have to take so many trips to clean up the back yard
(especially now that the snow has melted) but OTOH I also realize that if it
was bigger, it would be more difficult to haul around.

I wish it had a poop detector on the end - for the times when I KNOW a dog
has pooped in an area and I can't find it. Or I wish there was a true
harmless additive that we could give to the dogs that made their poop
brightly colored so it would easy to find. Even better if the additives
would be different colors so each dog would be "assigned" a certain color
and then it would be easy to know which dog did what (had diarrhea or such).
Besides think of how festive the backyard could look when the snow melts!

Thats pretty much it.

Thanks a lot.

You're welcome,
Chris and her smoothies,
Pablo, Lucy and Bree (visiting 1 year old smooth collie)

Old March 27th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
whostolemybike

On Mar 27, 7:55 am, "chris jung" wrote:
[...]

Hey, thanks everybody for your responses. These are terrific answers.
And please keep it up. I will try and post some of my working drawings
and maybe get some thoughts on that as well.

Thanks again.

Old March 27th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
chris jung wrote:
I use one of these from PetEdge:
X-Large Poop Scoop with Aluminum Handle : http://tinyurl.com/2xqnop

I use one of those, too, with a rake rather than a metal
scraper. I'm not sure I like the rake, but I'm not sure I
don't, either. I use it to fill a bucket and I take the
bucket to the compost bin.

The only problem I had was from me using the
"hoe" edge to chip frozen poop from ice and the edge was bent badly.

This may be a little gross, but since the poop is frozen
anyway I kick it out. (Yes, I wash my boots afterward).

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old March 27th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"chris jung" wrote:

I use one of these from PetEdge:
X-Large Poop Scoop with Aluminum Handle : http://tinyurl.com/2xqnop

That's what I use as well. 3 large breed dogs.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 27th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
flick wrote:
What about beets?

Too much like blood.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle

Bush pooper.... Gary G Dog health 37 December 28th 06 03:42 PM
Help! Mini-dachshund sneak pooper! Anonymous Dog behavior 16 October 12th 04 03:27 AM
Help! Mini-dachshund sneak pooper! Anonymous Dog behavior 0 October 11th 04 10:17 PM