fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Old March 30th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
David in Florida

Default fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone with experience especially with German
Shepherds might be able to help me out. I have a female I have had
since 7 weeks. She is now a little over 9 months. At about 3 months she
was attacked by a Sher pei in the face (20 stitches) she was fine after
that emotionally at the dog park and at home with my 2 other Rack
Russels. Then at 4 months same Sher pei attacked again (40 stitches and
now Sher pei is gone). Ok so here is issue now with other dogs I take
her to dog park almost everyday she walks in with tail tucked way under
hair up. Most times other dogs just sniff and walk away. But, then
there is always one who persists in making her pee on the sidewalk. So
the rest time at dog park she basically sits at my feet and watches and
you can see her almost jump at the puppy running by but then something
in her head stops her. She does not fear kids or adults. She is very
relaxed around people.

At home my 2 Jacks are 5 years old and they basically keep her at the
bottom of the pack and don't play fight or anything to give her
confidence. I am confused on the alpha(me) and playing rope tug though
thats just minor confidence builder.

Thanks in advance
David

Old March 31st 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:26:16 -0400, David in Florida
wrote:

... I have a female I have had
since 7 weeks. She was attacked by a Sher pei in the face...Then at
4 months same Sher pei attacked again ...So
the rest time at dog park she basically sits at my feet and watches.
She does not fear kids or adults. She is very
relaxed around people.

At home my 2 Jacks are 5 years old and they basically keep her at the
bottom of the pack and don't play fight or anything to give her
confidence. I am confused on the alpha(me) and playing rope tug though
thats just minor confidence builder.

I'm not an expert, but I consider it a big mistake, almost cruelty, to
separate a puppy from the mother and siblings, at seven weeks. But
that's in the past for you two.

Did the Shar Pei attacks happen at the dog park? Two Shar pei attacks,
60 stitches and untold soreness is a lot for a four-month-old puppy to
endure. :-(

You spoke of building her confidence, and I consider that the challenge,
the solution, and so forth. Unlike some folks, I consider playing tug of
war a good way to begin rebuilding her self confidence. Make certain she
wins quite often, at first.

Try rough housing with her. Lie on the floor, or the grass, so you can
be on her level. Let her be hungry, and make her become assertive in
order to get a treat your concealing.

Once her face is completely healed, complete absence of pain, help come
to realize that teeth are not always out to hurt her. I think you can
help make this happen by moving your hand toward her nose, so that it
looks like you're about to pluck something from her nose. Your fingers
should close on your thumb, but not touch the puppy for a couple of
days; and then only the nose. As soon as she stops avoiding your finger
teeth, then you can contact her nose, but do not latch on, until she
tolerates it.

The logic progression is for her to allow your finger teeth to chomp all
over her muzzle and face. Try nuzzling her face with your's as you chomp
at her. Because all of this is meant to approximate a scuffle, make some
noise, get excited and have fun.

Your puppy didn't get to experience much of this, but dogs--even
adults--like playing bitey games.

Anything you can do to build her self confidence is fabulous, but she
still needs to learn that teeth are not always her mortal enemy.

I like both of these breeds, and I'm sorry this happened. Fortunately, I
do have hope that your dog's psyche can be mended. I hope you will keep
us posted. I'd love to learn more about this sort of rehabilitation.

Whatever it takes.

German Shepherd/Blue Heeler possible fear aggression? Paddington Dog behavior 1 January 23rd 05 08:55 AM
German Shepherd Jo Wolf Dog breeds 3 September 10th 04 06:13 PM
German German Shepherd agressive towards neighbors. AndreaS Dog behavior 19 July 18th 04 01:41 PM
2 pics of my German shepherd dog Scott Dog behavior 0 March 29th 04 08:51 PM
Dog Allergies German Shepherd Park Dog behavior 0 February 17th 04 11:54 PM