fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Old March 30th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities
David in Florida

Default fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone with experience especially with German
Shepherds might be able to help me out. I have a female I have had
since 7 weeks. She is now a little over 9 months. At about 3 months she
was attacked by a Sher pei in the face (20 stitches) she was fine after
that emotionally at the dog park and at home with my 2 other Rack
Russels. Then at 4 months same Sher pei attacked again (40 stitches and
now Sher pei is gone). Ok so here is issue now with other dogs I take
her to dog park almost everyday she walks in with tail tucked way under
hair up. Most times other dogs just sniff and walk away. But, then
there is always one who persists in making her pee on the sidewalk. So
the rest time at dog park she basically sits at my feet and watches and
you can see her almost jump at the puppy running by but then something
in her head stops her. She does not fear kids or adults. She is very
relaxed around people.

At home my 2 Jacks are 5 years old and they basically keep her at the
bottom of the pack and don't play fight or anything to give her
confidence. I am confused on the alpha(me) and playing rope tug though
thats just minor confidence builder.

Thanks in advance
David

Old April 2nd 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities
Shadow Walker

Give her time. Keep socializing her and just take it slow. She is scared
because it happened twice not once but twice.
If you stop taking her to the park she will start to turn all that confusion
into herself and she might become a fear biter. She just has to come out of
her shell that's all. Has she been to any obedience class's. That could help
her bonding with you and help her feel more in control and focused. This way
she would place her focus on you and not what happed to her. So if she
starts to freak out during a moment you gently get her attention and have
her sit. Don't make a big deal about it. Imagine if you had been in two car
accidents one not long after you started to heal from the first, you would
be kinda scared to get back in a car. Good Luck

"David in Florida" wrote in message
[...]

fear in a german shepherd pup. Help! David Dog behavior 11 April 2nd 07 06:32 PM
fear in a german shepherd pup. Help! David in Florida Dog health 1 March 31st 07 03:47 PM
German Shepherd/Blue Heeler possible fear aggression? Paddington Dog behavior 1 January 23rd 05 09:55 AM
German Shepherd Jo Wolf Dog breeds 3 September 10th 04 06:13 PM
German German Shepherd agressive towards neighbors. AndreaS Dog behavior 19 July 18th 04 01:41 PM