start over post - fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Old March 30th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
David in Florida

Default start over post - fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Hi everyone,

I screwed up sorry folks you know who you are... let me further explain.

I have a beautiful white German Shepherd Female named "Sasha" I have
had her since she was 7 weeks old. We have been socializing in various
dog parks in my town since she was 9 weeks old. She was fearless. She
would play with any size dog. Things have changed. She is now 9 months
old.

At about 3 months old my back yard neighbors Shar Pei broke through my
wooden fence and attacked my dog and my dog ended up with about 20
stitches in the face. The neighbor and I agreed it was a one time thing
maybe the fence was bad right there (fooling myself eh?) So replaced
section of fence and life continued. Sasha and I went back to the dog
parks she played but I could tell she was a bit more cautious.

About 1 month later. Same dog same fence. Sasha this time about 40
stitches (legs). Ok this time I tell owner dog goes or I sue next day
dog is gone. I have no idea where. (plus I install chain link fence
inside my wooden fence)

Now at any park or actually anywhere anysize dog comes near her she
goes in to mega fear mode tail way under. Sometimes going into a dog
park with half a dozen dogs greeting her she will pee.
Now you are probably asking then why take her to the dog park? Well
because she does like it. She loves to play ball in the lake. She loves
to just lie and watch everything. She loves the attention of the kids
and adults and when I say "park" at home and grab my keys you can't
keep her from not going
And it is also very good for me as we do a ton of walking when we goto parks.

I thought after 5 months I would start to see some improvement but I am
not really. Anyone have ideas to help boost her confidence with other
dogs?

Thanks
David

Old March 30th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Puddin' Man

Got a friend or relative with an incredibly gentle dog?

Offer to dog-sit at your home or just borrow the pooch for
a few hours. Put 'em together in a totally non-threatening
environment, watch very carefully. If they don't become
at least moderately friendly, I guess I'd run it by a
good vet.

Just a thought. One step at a time.

Puddin'

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:11:59 -0400, David in Florida wrote:

[...]

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Old March 31st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:11:59 -0400, David in Florida

I thought after 5 months I would start to see some improvement but I am
not really. Anyone have ideas to help boost her confidence with other
dogs?

Puddin' Man's idea is Great! Be careful in selecting the dog(s) for this
maneuver, because you don't want it to backfire.

A strong emotional force warped your puppy; so, mere exposure to other
dogs is not going to straighten her out. You have to apply some very
gentle correcting force in the opposite direction.

Is Sasha spayed, yet?

A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.