start over post - fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Old March 30th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
David

Default start over post - fear in a german shepherd pup. Help!

Hi everyone,

I screwed up sorry folks you know who you are... let me further explain.

I have a beautiful white German Shepherd Female named "Sasha" I have
had her since she was 7 weeks old. We have been socializing in various
dog parks in my town since she was 9 weeks old. She was fearless. She
would play with any size dog. Things have changed. She is now 9 months
old.

At about 3 months old my back yard neighbors Shar Pei broke through my
wooden fence and attacked my dog and my dog ended up with about 20
stitches in the face. The neighbor and I agreed it was a one time thing
maybe the fence was bad right there (fooling myself eh?) So replaced
section of fence and life continued. Sasha and I went back to the dog
parks she played but I could tell she was a bit more cautious.

About 1 month later. Same dog same fence. Sasha this time about 40
stitches (legs). Ok this time I tell owner dog goes or I sue next day
dog is gone. I have no idea where. (plus I install chain link fence
inside my wooden fence)

Now at any park or actually anywhere anysize dog comes near her she
goes in to mega fear mode tail way under. Sometimes going into a dog
park with half a dozen dogs greeting her she will pee.
Now you are probably asking then why take her to the dog park? Well
because she does like it. She loves to play ball in the lake. She loves
to just lie and watch everything. She loves the attention of the kids
and adults and when I say "park" at home and grab my keys you can't
keep her from not going
And it is also very good for me as we do a ton of walking when we goto parks.

I thought after 5 months I would start to see some improvement but I am
not really. Anyone have ideas to help boost her confidence with other
dogs?

Thanks
David

Old March 30th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

David wrote:

Things have changed. She is now 9 months old.

I really think you should seek out in person help from someone who
works with GSDs. My understanding is that GSDs are a little
different from other breeds, in that they go through a fear stage at
about this age, and that you can *really* screw up your dog by
mishandling her.

--
Shelly
Old March 30th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

Shelly wrote in news:KycPh.10529$JZ3.1393
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

David wrote:

Things have changed. She is now 9 months old.

I really think you should seek out in person help from someone who
works with GSDs. My understanding is that GSDs are a little
different from other breeds, in that they go through a fear stage at
about this age, and that you can *really* screw up your dog by
mishandling her.

True that. But I *think* (can't be sure from the description) that this
dog never came out of the last fear response from that last attack. That
would be a totally different issue.

With that said, to the OP, I really confused about whether or not she's
having fun. You describe a dog that's pissing where she stands, who's
tail is tucked deeply between her legs and who is obviously terrified
about interacting with other dogs. How often does this actually happen
in proportion to the overal experience?

First things first: if she's been terrified of directly meeting other
dogs for **5** months now STOP IT. Stop it now. There is no need at all
for her to be exposed, over and over and over again to the thing that
terrifies her.

The fact that you keep putting her into situations that scare the ****
out of her (literally) and *still* hasn't gotten reactive yet is a
testament to her sweet nature. But stop pressing your luck and her
ability to hang on.

And get the book "Cautious Canine" by Patricia McConnell. Now.

Oh, and work with a trainer. Like 5 minutes ago. Please.

Tara

Old March 30th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Tara wrote:

The fact that you keep putting her into situations that scare the ****
out of her (literally) and *still* hasn't gotten reactive yet is a
testament to her sweet nature. But stop pressing your luck and her
ability to hang on.

I agree, I have seen German Shepherd Dogs gotten reactive in about 5
minutes of pestering from a large dog when they are fearful of large
dogs. Depending on the reaction of the owner and/or the other dog
that can easily be a self reinforced action, which just means more
work for you in the long run.

Old March 30th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Junior

Now you are probably asking then why take her to the dog park? Well
because she does like it. She loves to play ball in the lake. She loves
to just lie and watch everything. She loves the attention of the kids
and adults and when I say "park" at home and grab my keys you can't
keep her from not going

Anyone to tell you to give up and quit going is crazy and just lazy. I
have had 3 GSD's and basically they have all been a little fearful of
something that we had to overcome. And hiding from it does not make it
go away. I suggest trying to get someone to give you some one on one
time with a gentle dog/puppy for playtime visits.
I would also maybe see about a daytime puppy daycare and apprise them
and see if the can help. Your problem was broke by a dog it will need
to be fixed by a dog period. Anyway keep going to the parks in the
meantime just keep her away from the crowds of dogs and keep her
relaxed as you can in the parks.

Junior

I freaked out today I thought I was breathing backwards

Old March 31st 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

Junior wrote in news:2007033017113977923-
always@strippedcom:

Anyway keep going to the parks in the
meantime just keep her away from the crowds of dogs and keep her
relaxed as you can in the parks.

Interesting how you first call the advice of others "lazy and crazy" and
then you pretty much just ape that same advice.

I'm curious about how that works.

Tara
Old April 2nd 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shadow Walker

Give her time. Keep socializing her and just take it slow. She is scared
because it happened twice not once but twice.
If you stop taking her to the park she will start to turn all that confusion
into herself and she might become a fear biter. She just has to come out of
her shell that's all. Has she been to any obedience class's. That could help
her bonding with you and help her feel more in control and focused. This way
she would place her focus on you and not what happed to her. So if she
starts to freak out during a moment you gently get her attention and have
her sit. Don't make a big deal about it. Imagine if you had been in two car
accidents one not long after you started to heal from the first, you would
be kinda scared to get back in a car. Good Luck

Old April 2nd 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shadow Walker

Default Let me add to that....

Make sure your trainer has experience in dealing with dogs with
posttraumatic stress disoders.

Old April 5th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
David[_3_]

Thanks all for the feedback. I did in fact did learn a lesson. Yes I
have to answer a question she is very well trained actually she does
things in 3 ways english, german and hand signals that was a response
to obedience question and someone asked about spayed yes she is. And
folks believe me she is my child and I would never terrorize her.
Anyway the "broke by a dog fix by a dog" I really think this is the
cure for her.

http://www.ibuzzbeer.com/sasha.html

Anyway if you interested in seeing for yourself the link above will
show you a period of about 8 hours with a 4 month old lab mix I
borrowed from someone. Keep in mind where they are playing is the place
where the attacks happened my backyard. What really surprised me was
later on that evening inside was how Sasha submitted on her back and
let puppy on top! I never thought I would see that and especially after
just hours.

Anyway thanks for the help
David in Florida