Why are we getting wheat products from China?

Old April 2nd 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
musikgal

Default Why are we getting wheat products from China?

Why in God's name is any wheat or grain product coming into either
Canada or the US from China? The 2 countries are wheat importers
not exporters. Something is rotten in Denmark, and I think our food
industry has a lot of answering to do.
SD

Old April 2nd 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
flick wrote:
We export wheat, and we import wheat. We export cows, we import cows.

Also, it's not clear where the wheat that went into the
wheat gluten came from. It's probably a safe guess that
it's from China but it could easily have come from somewhere
else (including the US).

Gives me a headache.

It's a combination of several things, including 1) basic
comparative advantage (Ricardo)/globalization, 2) screwed-up
trade policy, and 3) incredibly screwed-up agricultural
subsidies. Pretty much the same forces that bring you cheap
underwear are the ones driving Big Food.

If you can't say it clearly, you don't understand it yourself -- John Searle
Old April 2nd 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick

"musikgal" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why in God's name is any wheat or grain product coming into either
Canada or the US from China? The 2 countries are wheat importers
not exporters. Something is rotten in Denmark, and I think our food
industry has a lot of answering to do.

Try to make sense of the data at this site:
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FATUS/

We export wheat, and we import wheat. We export cows, we import cows.

Gives me a headache.

flick 100785

SD