? on pet foods

Old April 3rd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Default ? on pet foods

I would love to cook full time for the dogs but with work and my health I
just do not have the time it takes to prepare meals for them all the time.
I did away with canned food for them and have been cooking some meat to add
to their evening meal but I'd like to switch their kibble now to something
better.

I know someone posted information with a list of pet foods that are all
natural and ones that don't contain wheat gluten but for the life of me can
not find it. I was looking at Innova since I notice some people seem to use
it but the closest supplier is almost an hour away. What others are out
there that I could possibly buy at Petco that I wouldn't have to worry about
killing my dogs. I'd also like to find something along the line of weight
control. I'm trying terribly to get some weight off Buddy and not having
much success.

Thanks
Celeste

--
Unique one of a kind beaded Jewelry By Celeste
http://www.blujay.com/JewelryByCeleste

Old April 3rd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Spot" wrote in message:

What others are out
there that I could possibly buy at Petco that I wouldn't have to worry

about
killing my dogs.

You are unlikely to find some of these smaller/lower volume foods at Petco
or petSmart, although I heard that Petco does carry Solid Gold, and you may
want to look into that. If you have feed stores in your area or small,
independent pet stores, they are your best bet for these foods.

When I used to feed Canidae, I had it shipped to me for less than what it
would've cost (also, no driving, finding parking, aggravation, etc.) from
petfooddirect; they send coupons that would cover the shipping charges, but
that depends largely on where you live. It's still worth a shot.

As for weight control, what kind of dog is Buddy, how old, how much does he
weigh, and how much weight should he lose? How much exercise does he get,
and what kind? It surprises people that Khan gets 1 1/3 cup of dog food
plus fillers, while dogs half his size sometimes eat twice as much.

Suja

Old April 3rd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 20:23:23 -0400, "Suja" wrote:

"Spot" wrote in message:

What others are out
there that I could possibly buy at Petco that I wouldn't have to worry

about
killing my dogs.

You are unlikely to find some of these smaller/lower volume foods at Petco
or petSmart, although I heard that Petco does carry Solid Gold, and you may
want to look into that. If you have feed stores in your area or small,
independent pet stores, they are your best bet for these foods.

Petco stores seem to vary in what they carry. Pet Supplies Plus
carries Solid Gold and Canidae. Their price per bag for Canidae is $5
more than what we charge. There's a store called Pet Supermarket that
carries Solid Gold, Merrick and Wellness. I don't know whether there
is a Pet Supplies Plus or Pet Supermarket near you.

Mustang Sally

Old April 3rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Buddy is a 7 year old beagle/cheasapeake retriever mix. At the vets last
week he weighed 54 lbs and could stand to loose about 10 lbs. He's not very
active I walk him as much as I can but as for chasing a ball and playing
he's not very motivated. He has arthritis and I know getting even a few
pounds off him would help.

My biggest problem is not what I feed him it's getting it through Mikes
thick head that he doesn't need something to eat every time he fusses. I
yelled at him last week when I found out how much food he was giving him at
bed time. Why on earth he thought the dogs need another cup of food at
night is beyond me. I usually just put a enough kibble1 layer thick on the
bottom of their bowl before bed. Buddy has to have a little something in
his stomach or else he's throwing up bile before morning.

Celeste

Old April 3rd 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Spot" wrote in message:

He has arthritis and I know getting even a few
pounds off him would help.

Is he on anything for the arthritis? It's probably difficult for him to
exercise with joints that hurt, and of course, hard to lose weight without
exercise.

My biggest problem is not what I feed him it's getting it through Mikes
thick head that he doesn't need something to eat every time he fusses.

Got one of those myself, and understand how hard that can be. Is it
possible for you to lock up the dogs' food, and only give him access to a
day's worth of rations?

Buddy has to have a little something in
his stomach or else he's throwing up bile before morning.

A friend of mine has a dog that does that. They just split up her evening
feeding, so she gets a half cup in the evening, and another half cup right
before bed.

BTW, the current coupon for PFD is 13%; they have sent ones for 20 or 22%
off as well. What I do is to buy stuff that is light but expensive (like
freeze dried raw), and that really helps bump up the "savings" to offset the
shipping. Let me know if you want the coupon code. Also, PFD participates
with iGive. If you sign up there, you can designate a charity of your
choice, then enter the PFD site through iGive, and a portion of your
purchase goes to the charity you've designated. There are plenty of other
stores that participate, including the likes of Amazon and Dell.

Suja

Old April 3rd 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Suja,

The coupon would be a great savings and I like the suggestion of going
through igive. Could you please send it to me I'm pretty sure even after
checking locally that I'm going to end up ordering online. The funny thing
is I can see them at work when I have dog food delivered. Delivery is $2.00
cheaper to have it delivered to where I work.

If you don't want to post the code here you can send it
.

Thanks
Celeste