Distemper infected pup: Prognosis/recommendations please.

Old April 3rd 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Everyone

Default Distemper infected pup: Prognosis/recommendations please.

hi,
Roughly a couple of months ago we brought in a puppy off the street,
around 5 - 6 months old. She was, at the time, in obvious distress
with bouts of vomiting coupled with severe loss of appetite. The vet
diagnosed as a GI infection, and the treatment succeeded after nearly
a week. This was followed by a high temperature which was again
treated .. apparently successfully .. but such ailments continued off-
and-on. Indisposed as she was , neither the vet, nor we dared to
proceed with her shots ... in hindsight our worst mistake.
Around a fortnight ago, we observed a twitching in her leg which
started just around when she was finally given her shots. We realize
now that the distemper virus may already have been in her body at the
time. Over the last week her condition has worsened and she is
obviously in great pain.

What is the prognosis for her? Is there a possibility that the disease
may be reversed, or atleast stopped? Will a premature booster shot
help?

Please reply

regards,
abhishek

Old April 4th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick

"Everyone" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Disclaimer: I am not a vet.

Here is a page with an overview of canine distemper:
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/d...html#prognosis

You really should discuss this with your vet, who can give you a much more
expert opinion than non-vet strangers in a newsgroup.

IMO, the prognosis is probably not good. If she were my dog, and in great
pain as you describe, as painful as it might be to my heart, I would take
her back to the vet and help her cross the Rainbow Bridge (i.e., euthanize
her). Distemper causes neurological damage that is irreversible.

I am so sorry that you have had this awful experience. But how lucky she
was, to find you, and you have been able to treat her and at least make her
more comfortable and happier than she would have been alone on the street.

flick 100785

Dog broke a nail on her paw, now it is infected... [email protected] Dog health 5 January 4th 07 04:50 PM
Dog - both eardrums ruptured (gone?). Prognosis? [email protected] Dog health 1 September 2nd 06 12:45 AM
Prognosis for dogs broken toe/toenail injury? [email protected] Dog health 0 August 29th 05 08:02 AM
Infected Anal Gland Suzie-Q Dog health 1 March 16th 05 09:13 PM
Parvo and Distemper Mali More Dog behavior 13 February 2nd 05 12:47 AM