SAS diagnosis

Old April 4th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default SAS diagnosis

At what age can SAS be accurately diagnosed in a puppy?

--
Lynne
Old April 4th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread m: Lynne
whittled the following words:

At what age can SAS be accurately diagnosed in a puppy?

Very early if it's bad enough, as it's a hereditary disease. But it may not
be detected until years later, if it's mild enough. It all depends on the
level the dog is affected.
Old April 4th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in
m:

At what age can SAS be accurately diagnosed in a puppy?

Wait. Are you worried about Cash????

Tara
Old April 4th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:18:16 GMT, Tara wrote:

Wait. Are you worried about Cash????

I just found out he has what is being called an innocent murmur. He was
examined by a veterinary cardiologist, but did not have an echocardiogram.
I'm freaked out and am waiting to talk to the cardiologist who examined
him.

There is no history in his pedigree of SAS, the rest of the puppies in the
litter are fine, and the cardiologist didn't feel that the murmur was
signifcant enough to warrant an echo. From what little I know about SAS at
this point, it appears to me that it would be difficult if not impossible
to distinguish a murmur from SAS from an innocent murmur that a puppy will
outgrow...

I'm supposed to pick him up tomorrow. This sucks so hard.

--
Lynne
Old April 4th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:53:19 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

From what little I know about SAS at
this point, it appears to me that it would be difficult if not
impossible to distinguish a murmur from SAS from an innocent murmur
that a puppy will outgrow...

I should qualify that with, "without an echo."

--
Lynne
Old April 4th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in
m:

on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:53:19 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

From what little I know about SAS at
this point, it appears to me that it would be difficult if not
impossible to distinguish a murmur from SAS from an innocent murmur
that a puppy will outgrow...

I should qualify that with, "without an echo."

Then why not get one?

I know nothing about SAS (had to google it when you posted), but if an echo
can distinguish between an innocent murmer and possible SAS, why not get
one?

Tara
(poorly caffeinated and not thinking too clearly today)
Old April 4th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 15:35:18 GMT, Tara wrote:

Then why not get one?

I know nothing about SAS (had to google it when you posted), but if an
echo can distinguish between an innocent murmer and possible SAS, why
not get one?

I wish it was that simple. An echo may not be conclusive either way until
he is older...

The breeder specifically asked if this murmur could indicate SAS and the
cardiologist said no, but I don't know if the cardiologist qualified that
or explained specifically how she could be certain (or even how certain she
is). The murmur may just be nowhere near the aortic valve (assuming she
could discern its location) and may well be completely innocent, but I know
far too much about cardiology to be comfortable with what little
information I have. I want to hear the specific description of the murmur
straight from the cardiologist's mouth. And I want to know just how sure
she is that it's innocent.

--
Lynne
Old April 4th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in
m:

[...]

Is the breeder going to give permission for you to speak freely with the
cardiologist? That would be a requirement as far as I'm concerned.

Tara
Old April 4th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:18:43 GMT, Tara wrote:

Is the breeder going to give permission for you to speak freely with the
cardiologist? That would be a requirement as far as I'm concerned.

That's a requirement for me as well. As far as I know, the breeder has
asked the cardiologist to contact me and discuss her findings with me.

This blows oh so very hard.

--
Lynne
Old April 4th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in
m:

on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:18:43 GMT, Tara wrote:

Is the breeder going to give permission for you to speak freely with
the cardiologist? That would be a requirement as far as I'm
concerned.

That's a requirement for me as well. As far as I know, the breeder
has asked the cardiologist to contact me and discuss her findings with
me.

This blows oh so very hard.

Yes it does.

I wish you luck