Jack Russell won't walk! Help!!

Old April 6th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Planet X

Default Jack Russell won't walk! Help!!

Hi,

My elderly neighbour has had a series of serious operations and has
been unable to walk her dog. So, for the past 4 months, I have walked
her 3-year old Jack Russell every evening without any problems at all.
We have walked in the dark, rain, snow and wind and both of us have
enjoyed these long walks.

Until now, that is! The weather has improved and the evenings are
fine, light and warm.

But the dog walks out of the gate and simply stops! It just refuses to
move. It will spend a penny about 20 yards away, but wants to go back
to the house more or less immediately.

This has been going on for about two weeks. Nothing in her physical
surroundings has changed and she is just as pleased to see me when I
arrive.

She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds tend to
startle her. But that has never been a problem before. If we go with
another dog, she will be more or less fine, but this is not always
possible.

What should I do? Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Old April 6th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Take the dog to the vet. It sounds like walking long distances is
painful for her. She's still knows to poop and pee a distance from the
house but isn't enjoying anything longer. When another dog comes along,
she weighs the pros of the walk with the other dog against the cons of
whatever pain she is feeling and decides to go farther. At least,
that's my theory. See what a vet says.

--Lia

Old April 6th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

Planet X wrote in
:

She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds tend to
startle her. But that has never been a problem before. If we go with
another dog, she will be more or less fine, but this is not always
possible.

While its really hard to tell, if this seriously only started happening
when the weather got nicer, and if this dog is easily startled by sounds,
its possible that the increased noise levels outside could be contributing
to (if not causing) the anxiety. When the weather gets milder, more people
tend to spend time outside. And those people tend to make noise. Its the
stuff that we learn to filter out and almost don't hear. Sound sensitive
dogs not only hear it, but can actually get anxious just anticipating the
noises.

To start, try bringing really nummy treats (or even some small boiled
chicken pieces) on your walks and see if that helps a little.

Tara
Old April 6th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Darla Vladschyk

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 08:48:39 GMT, Planet X
wrote:

Until now, that is! The weather has improved and the evenings are
fine, light and warm.

But the dog walks out of the gate and simply stops! It just refuses to
move. It will spend a penny about 20 yards away, but wants to go back
to the house more or less immediately.

Have the dog's nails been clipped? Long nails on bare sidewalks can
be painful and awkward for the dog, and they can even be spooked by
the noise they make. My dog gets "paralyzed" on the tile floor of the
bathroom if his nails are too long. He's terrified he'll slip. Check
nails and pads for length and injuries.

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/
Old April 6th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

wrote:

Hi,

My elderly neighbour has had a series of serious operations and has
been unable to walk her dog. So, for the past 4 months, I have walked
her 3-year old Jack Russell every evening without any problems at all.
We have walked in the dark, rain, snow and wind and both of us have
enjoyed these long walks.

Until now, that is! The weather has improved and the evenings are
fine, light and warm.

Anything remotely untoward ever happen to you or to her on a walk?

But the dog walks out of the gate and simply stops! It just refuses to
move. It will spend a penny about 20 yards away, but wants to go back
to the house more or less immediately.

How far do you usually walk? Always in the same direction? Are you
walking her for exercise, or to go to the bathroom?

Did her owner walk her every day? For exercise, or to go to the
bathroom?

Are the walks the only times the dog is outside?

This has been going on for about two weeks. Nothing in her physical
surroundings has changed and she is just as pleased to see me when I
arrive.

Is/was her owner home during all these walks?

She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds tend to
startle her. But that has never been a problem before. If we go with
another dog, she will be more or less fine, but this is not always
possible.

Could you try letting her out another way?

Could you try carrying her past her no-go point?

Has she ever been formally obedience trained? E.g., does she know
what a formal "heel" is?

If so, you might try "heeling" her out the gate and past the no-go
spot.

Absent any of these things working (and/or the other advice you've
received), it might be time to see a vet.

However, if in the presence of another dog she's *always* just fine,
there's almost certainly nothing physically wrong with her.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

So long! Ta-ta! Somewhere Winston's weeping.
http://www.farsnews.com/plarg.php?nn=M234959.jpg
More "crazy ****":
http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001412.html
Secretary of State Nancy Pelosi’s Muddle Diplomacy:
http://austinbay.net/blog/?p=1731
Washington Post Slams Pelosi - A "Shadow Presidency" (to be filed in the "Be careful what you wish for" category)
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...residency&only
Another conspiracy theory for Sandman and Mel Shore to believe in!
http://maddox.xmission.com/
Way to go, Madame Speaker! Olmert denies peace message to Assad!
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
Way to go, Britain! You freakin' pussies.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=27672
Not everyone in Europe is a stupid as Rosie O'Donnell:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...474636,00.html
Your United Nations at work!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEw0lZ3k_Y&eurl=
How modern liberals think!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaE98w1KZ-c&eurl=
Gore's Global Warming Religion:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19927
Researchers Question Validity Of A 'Global Temperature':
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0315101129.htm
Liberal eco-preeners: Do as we say, not as we do!
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...599714,00.html
Danish scientist: Global warming is a myth.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science...-012154-7403r/
Scientists threatened with death for 'climate denial'!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ngreen211.xml
The Great Global Warming Swindle - the video:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...global+warming
Old April 8th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Planet X

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 06:06:22 -0500, diddy
wrote:

She's probably exhibiting separation anxiety because she knows her owner is
not well and is uncomfortable leaving her.

I've thought long and hard about the contributions made in this thread
and I think Diddy is probably closest to the mark. I say that because
I recalled when the lady went into hospital the first time, she put
the dog with a vet who kept the dog in her home with other dogs. All
she did was sit by the door and sulk. She wouldn't eat or drink and
they were very worried about her.

As soon as the lady took the dog back, it ate and drank as normal but
would not leave her owner's side.

Subsequently the dog has been placed in various homes during her
owners spells in hospital. Some successful, some not. I know if I was
the dog, I would be very confused!! However, her owner is a very
experienced and caring dog lover, and there is no blame there. It's
just a few bad circumstances.

Why her refusal to walk has happened now I'm not sure but I think the
best thing is to 'rest' the longer walks for a week or so and then try
again.
Old April 8th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jeff Dege

wrote:

She's probably exhibiting separation anxiety because she knows her owner
is not well and is uncomfortable leaving her.

I've thought long and hard about the contributions made in this thread
and I think Diddy is probably closest to the mark. I say that because I
recalled when the lady went into hospital the first time, she put the
dog with a vet who kept the dog in her home with other dogs. All she did
was sit by the door and sulk. She wouldn't eat or drink and they were
very worried about her.

As soon as the lady took the dog back, it ate and drank as normal but
would not leave her owner's side.

Terriers in general are notoriously social dogs, and Jacks are the
ultimate terrier. They do bond very strongly with people.

--
Of all the dogs I have known the terrier has the best memory for friends.
Even casual friends are not forgotten if once accepted. As for the

Old April 8th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Planet X

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your input. Oh and by the way, how is the old padded cell
these days? Hope they're making you comfortable...

On 8 Apr 2007 06:50:05 -0700,

wrote:

HOWEDY planet X,

.. .
wrote:

She's probably exhibiting separation anxiety because
she knows her owner is not well and is uncomfortable
leaving her.

That's ABSURD!:

"She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds
tend to startle her. But that has never been a problem before.
If we go with another dog, she will be more or less fine, but
this is not always possible."

Seems the dog LACKS CONFIDENCE bein alone
which MEANS the dog is havin OBSESSIVE
COMPULSIVE PAINICK ATTACKS {}: ~ (

I've thought long and hard about the contributions made in this thread

Yeah? You've been askin LIARS DOG ABSERS COWARDS
and ACTIVE ATUTE CHRONIC LIFE LONG INCURABLE
MENTAL PATIENTS for "advice" THEY AIN"T GOT.

and I think Diddy is probably closest to the mark.

Agreed. diddler is the MOST PATHETIC of the miserable
stinkin lyin animal murderin MENTAL PATIENTS you're
askin for "ADVICE". If the vet finds NUTHING WRONG
diddler and her pals will ADVISE you to JERK CHOKE
BRIBE or SHOCK the dog to MAKE IT follow you.

I say that because I recalled when the lady went into
hospital the first time, she put the dog with a vet who
kept the dog in her home with other dogs.

That's IRRELEVENT, accordin to YOUR OWN WORDS:

"So, for the past 4 months, I have walked her 3-year old Jack
Russell every evening without any problems at all. We have
walked in the dark, rain, snow and wind and both of us have
enjoyed these long walks. Until now, that is! "

"She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds
tend to startle her. But that has never been a problem before.
If we go with another dog, she will be more or less fine, but
this is not always possible."

All she did was sit by the door and sulk.

That was PRYOR to THIS:

"So, for the past 4 months, I have walked her 3-year
old Jack Russell every evening without any problems
at all. We have walked in the dark, rain, snow and wind
and both of us have enjoyed these long walks.

Until now, that is!"

She wouldn't eat or drink and they were very worried about her.

THAT was THEN. THIS is NHOWE:

"This has been going on for about two weeks. Nothing
in her physical surroundings has changed and she is just
as pleased to see me when I arrive.

She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds
tend to startle her. But that has never been a problem before.
If we go with another dog, she will be more or less fine, but
this is not always possible.

What should I do? Any advice would be gratefully recieved."

DOGS DIE from PAINICK ATTACKS, Planet X {}: ~ (

As soon as the lady took the dog back, it ate and
drank as normal but would not leave her owner's side.

The dog is havin PAINICK ATTACKS.

The MENTAL PATIENTS you're asking for advice
DON'T RECOGNIZE painick attacks on accHOWENTA
they GOT THE SAME PROBLEMS themselves. You're
dealin with ACTIVE ACUTE CHRONIC LIFE LONG
INCURABLE MENTAL PATIENTS, who'll DO an SAY
ANY THING to DEFEND their alleged RIGHT to HURT
INTIMIDATE MUTILATE an MURDER innocent defenseless
dumb critters an LIE abHOWET it, Planet X {): ~ (

Subsequently the dog has been placed in various
homes during her owners spells in hospital. Some
successful, some not. I know if I was the dog, I
would be very confused!!

You think you'd be THIS CONfHOWENDED?:

"So, for the past 4 months, I have walked her 3-year
old Jack Russell every evening without any problems
at all. We have walked in the dark, rain, snow and wind
and both of us have enjoyed these long walks.

Until now, that is!"

"She is a bit of a nervous dog though and everyday sounds
tend to startle her. But that has never been a problem before.
If we go with another dog, she will be more or less fine, but
this is not always possible."

However, her owner is a very experienced and
caring dog lover, and there is no blame there. It's
just a few bad circumstances.

"WHATEVER"!

It's IRRELEVENT. Your dog is havin PAINICK ATTACKS.

Your veterinarian CAN'T DO NUTHIN for her other
than TRY SELLIN you some ANTI PSYCHOTIC
medications which DO NOT WORK as EVIDENCED
by the MENTAL PATIENTS you're ASKIN FOR
ADVICE'S, OWN POSTED CASE HISTORIES.

Why her refusal to walk has happened now I'm not sure

The dog has developed an OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER.

You can EXXXTINGUISH ANY obsessive compulsive
behavior NEARLY INSTANTLY if you simply DO EVERY
THING EXXXACTLY PRECISELY OPPOSITE of HOWE
these pathetic miserable stinkin lyin animal murderin MENTAL
PATIENTS recommend.

but I think the best thing is to 'rest' the longer
walks for a week or so and then try again.

And the dog's OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORER
will CONTINUE TO GET WORSE: "ANY undesirable
behavior that's IGNORED AVOIDED or REPRESSED
will ONLY GET WORSE or CHANGE to OTHER, often
WORSE, seemingly NON RELATED behaviors as
anXXXIHOWESNESS relief mechanisms and TRAINsfer
behaviors" {): ~ (

You might wanna let us know HOWE she's doin after takin
a couple weeks off of not walkin with you. The problem WILL
GET WORSE... UNLESS you care enough to LEARN HOWE
to pupperly handle an train this dog so she FEELS SAFE with
you walkin her again:

"So, for the past 4 months, I have walked her 3-year
old Jack Russell every evening without any problems
at all. We have walked in the dark, rain, snow and wind
and both of us have enjoyed these long walks.

Until now, that is!"

WELCOME to The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard's
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog, Child, Kat And Horse Training Method
Manual Forums And Human And Animal Behavior Forensic Sciences
Research Laboratory {); ~ )

I'm Jerry Howe, The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard {) ; ~ )

Here's your own FREE COPY of The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin
Insanely Simply Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And
Horsey Wizard's

The *666* Edition Of Your Own
FREE COPY
Of
The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply Amazing
GRAND
Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard's
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog, Child, Kat And Horsey Training Method Manual{) ; ~ )

{#}: ~ } 8 { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ }
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3AD21A3D { ~ :{@}

Jack Russell Pico Dog breeds 2 September 16th 05 07:50 PM
Jack Russell Rescue Deb Dog breeds 1 September 3rd 05 07:33 PM
Jack Russell Rescue [email protected] Dog behavior 0 September 3rd 05 07:33 PM
Jack Russell Terriers Shadymac Dog behavior 0 November 25th 03 03:23 AM
Parsons Jack Russell Tracie Dog breeds 4 July 30th 03 09:46 PM