how do i take care of great danes

Old April 8th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
[email protected]

Default how do i take care of great danes

my dad and I are thinking of breeding great danes as a business
and starting our own kennel. The hard part is, we have never bred
Great Danes before and don't know much about them.(ie. grooming,
excersise, food.etc.)

if anyone has any advice as to how i should properly take care of
a great dane puppy, please help me.

~*thx*~

Old April 9th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot

STOP Before you even start. There are too many dogs and cat in the world
now that don't have homes. People like you and who know absolutely NOTHING
about proper breeding are the whole reason why.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old April 12th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Shadow Walker

Please if you are considering such a thing you really should go to your
local pounds, Google rescues online, visit the SPCA and look at all the
homeless animals. You should ask how many are euthanized everyday and every
month and every year. Then you need to think about every puppy you breed
that will be abandoned, lost and or neglected. Think about every dog you
breed that will end up in a shelter and die because it is either no longer
wanted or was lost due to circumstances.

If you know nothing about the breed you should try reading books, searching
the internet, talk to owners, breeders, research every disease they can get,
transmit to their offspring, learn about all the tests you should run on the
breeding pair and then try being the companion of a rescued altered Dane
before even attempting to breed them.

I'm sorry about the lecture but I end up with many left over pups out of
litters that were bred and never sold. I have been the limbo stop for dogs
for divorce, the dumping ground for the neighbor-hoods unwanted.

DON'T LITTER, SPAY OR NEUTER.

Gina's Home For Wayward Pets

ups.com...

Old April 13th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
[email protected]

On Apr 11, 5:45 pm, "Shadow Walker"
wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

ups.com...

my dad and I are thinking of breedinggreatdanes as a business
and starting our own kennel. The hard part is, we have never bred
GreatDanes before and don't know much about them.(ie. grooming,
excersise, food.etc.)

if anyone has any advice as to how i should properly take care of
agreatdanepuppy, please help me.

~*thx*~- Hide quoted text -

I would highly, highly recommend that you do some serious and long
research before you consider breeding Great Danes. I have a Great
Dane and I also have several friends that are owners of Danes and a
couple that are Breeders. Breeding is not to be taken lightly. You
have to be so very careful as this breed is so incredibly special.

My first advice would be to sign up on a Great Dane online group
(Yahoo! Groups or Google Groups). There are several...I belong to 2.
I would put you in touch with one of the breeders (the best breeder) I
know. She is amazing and has been doing it for years...she is VERY
upfront and to the point...it's easy to get your feelings hurt is what
I'm trying to get across. She shows dogs, breeds them, and has
beautiful, beautiful puppies that are so high quality in temprement,
disposition, aesthetics...everything. I've met several of her dogs &
bitches at various showings.

Please, I ask you to be very careful and really research before you
start the breeding process. If you want more information, you may
email me at .

Old May 12th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dale Atkin

Three words,

Research, research, research.

Ok, now more helpful, in no particular order.

1. Have you ever owned a Great Dane? If not, start with that. I'd probably
get the dog spayed/neutered regardless of your intention to eventually
breed. You don't want to be tempted to rush in to things before you are
ready.
2. Learn as much as humanly possibly about the breed.
3. What conditions are they prone to?
4. Is it known how these conditions are inherited?
5. How/can these conditions be screened for.
6. Talk with other great dane breeders.
7. Learn some genetics.
8. Research the lines of the dogs you are getting.
9. If you actually intend to make money off of this, seriously consider the
finances of what you are doing. Vet bills, feeding, care of a new litter
(time), size of litter, show entry fees, travel costs to go to shows (in
order to gain access to good lines, you'll likely have to prove to the owner
of the other dog that your lines are 'worth' breeding to), expected price
per puppy. The only great dane breeder I know doesn't to particularly well
financially out of the deal. It certainly isn't a 'get rich quick' kind of
deal.
10. Are you willing to take responsibility for every puppy you bring in to
the world? If not, then DO NOT BREED MORE!. As has been pointed out, there
are already far too many dogs in this world. This isn't to say I'm against
dog breeding, or anything of the sort. By and large, its not the well bred
dogs that end up in the shelters (although it does of course happen). But if
you bring a puppy in the world, you need to recognize that puppy as your
responsibility, even after its left your home. After all, you picked out
where it was going to live, didn't you? If they turn out not to be a good
home, don't you bear part of the responsibility for sending the dog there?
Shouldn't YOU take responsibility for rehoming the dog should the need
arise, rather than dumping the responsibility off on your local animal
shelter?

That about wraps up my advice.

Dale
ups.com...

Great Danes? Tony V. Dog breeds 16 April 23rd 05 07:31 PM
great danes Clel93 Dog breeds 3 January 29th 05 10:25 PM
Need Some Help on Great Danes Big Brad Dog rescue 18 July 24th 03 02:57 AM
Need Some Help on Great Danes Big Brad Dog rescue 0 July 23rd 03 01:20 AM
Need Some Help on Great Danes Big Brad Dog rescue 0 July 23rd 03 01:20 AM