Best way to hit your dog?

Old April 8th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Bullseye

Default Best way to hit your dog?

I have a small puggie and he becomes disobedient sometimes. I would
like to know what is the best way to hit your dog? Should I use my
hand (I'm afraid she will become afraid of the hand if I do.) Or
should I use a belt. stick, or other object? Please advise. Also where
is the best place to hit, the rump or other part of the body?
Old April 8th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:16:46 GMT, Bullseye wrote:

I have a small puggie and he becomes disobedient sometimes. I would
like to know what is the best way to hit your dog? Should I use my
hand (I'm afraid she will become afraid of the hand if I do.) Or
should I use a belt. stick, or other object? Please advise. Also where
is the best place to hit, the rump or other part of the body?

You should find a brick wall, brace yourself in front of it in whatever way
possible, and then slam your head into the bricks repeatedly, as hard as
you can, until you pass out. That will be a very good start. HTH!

--
Lynne
Old April 8th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jeff Dege

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:16:46 +0000, Bullseye wrote:

I have a small puggie and he becomes disobedient sometimes. I would like
to know what is the best way to hit your dog? Should I use my hand (I'm
afraid she will become afraid of the hand if I do.) Or should I use a
belt. stick, or other object? Please advise. Also where is the best place
to hit, the rump or other part of the body?

Rolled-up newspaper.

Roll it tightly, so that you don't have frayed bits falling off, then beat
the owner around the head and shoulders, while shouting "bad owner!"

--
"When childhood dies, its corpses are called adults and they enter
society, one of the politer names of hell. That is why we dread

Old April 8th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Bullseye wrote:
I have a small puggie and he becomes disobedient sometimes. I would
like to know what is the best way to hit your dog? Should I use my
hand (I'm afraid she will become afraid of the hand if I do.) Or
should I use a belt. stick, or other object? Please advise. Also where
is the best place to hit, the rump or other part of the body?

You may be puzzled by the answers you've gotten. They're trying
to tell you that punishment is not an effective training method.
True, a whack on the butt can stop a behavior in its tracks,
but it's more likely to train the dog to fear you, but it doesn't
train him very effectively not to do the behavior again,
especially when you - the giver of punishment - are not around.
Is that the kind of relationship you want with your dog?

There are better ways. Check out Pat Miller and Jean Donaldson's
book, "The Power of Positive Dog Training."

I don't know what you mean by "disobedient." Are there specific
behaviors you are targeting, such as like chewing shoes,
urinating in the house?

In brief, here are some other things you can do instead of
punishment a

1. Don't give the dog the opportunity to make the mistake. Put
away your shoes; or take the dog outside every couple of hours,
tether him to you when he hasn't been outside for at least an
hour, crate him when you can't supervise (this doesn't mean
keeping him in a crate 22 hours a day, however!).

2. Teach him the behaviors that you want him to do: designate
chewies and toys and play with him using only them (don't give
him an old shoe!); praise him lavishly when he urinates outdoors
(this means taking him out, not letting him out).

3. Teach him behaviors that are incompatible with the problem
behaviors, and reward him for doing them on command. If he jumps
on you when you come home, teach him to sit on command instead.
(Can't jump and sit at the same time.)

4. Take him to an obedience class that emphasizes positive
training methods; the instructor will teach you how to train your
dog, and you and your pug will end up with a much better
relationship.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 8th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tom[_2_]

On Apr 8, 7:37 am, FurPaw wrote:
Bullseye wrote:
[...]

Basically, the way it has been explained to me is, dogs don't hit each
other in the wild. They don't understand why they are being hit,
don't understand it as a punishment.

Old April 8th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jeff Dege

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:37:28 -0600, FurPaw wrote:

Bullseye wrote:
I have a small puggie and he becomes disobedient sometimes. I would
like to know what is the best way to hit your dog? Should I use my hand
(I'm afraid she will become afraid of the hand if I do.) Or should I
use a belt. stick, or other object? Please advise. Also where is the
best place to hit, the rump or other part of the body?

You may be puzzled by the answers you've gotten. They're trying to tell
you that punishment is not an effective training method.

No. Punishment can be a very effective training method, but it has risks
that must be understood. I use corrections, I use praise, I use treats, I
use play, I use attention, and isolation.

But I don't hit my dog.

Most trainers use corrections in some circumstances. But hitting your dog
is an ineffective correction, and is unlikely to teach what you intend it
to.

Old April 8th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Bullseye wrote:
I have a small puggie and he becomes disobedient sometimes. I would
like to know what is the best way to hit your dog? Should I use my hand
(I'm afraid she will become afraid of the hand if I do.) Or should I
use a belt. stick, or other object? Please advise. Also where is the
best place to hit, the rump or other part of the body?

You may be puzzled by the answers you've gotten. They're trying to tell
you that punishment is not an effective training method.

No. Punishment can be a very effective training method,

Sorry to put words in your mouth, and I didn't write precisely
what even I meant.

I should have said that *I* don't think that *physical, positive
punishment* is an effective training method. {"Positive" in the
sense that something aversive is added to the situation; negative
punishment is taking away something desirable.}

but it has risks
that must be understood. I use corrections, I use praise, I use treats, I
use play, I use attention, and isolation.

But I don't hit my dog.

Most trainers use corrections in some circumstances. But hitting your dog
is an ineffective correction, and is unlikely to teach what you intend it
to.

Yes.

FurPaw

Old April 9th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:03:36 -0600, FurPaw
wrote:

[...]
No. Punishment can be a very effective training method,

Sorry to put words in your mouth, and I didn't write precisely
what even I meant.

I should have said that *I* don't think that *physical, positive
punishment* is an effective training method.

Given your definition above, and then considering that simple color
pops would seem to qualify as such, what would it take to convince you
that punishment (P+) is indeed an "effective training method"?

{"Positive" in the
sense that something aversive is added to the situation

[...]

Yes, P+, in the behavioral sense.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old April 9th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.animals.dog,alt.pets.dogs.labrador
Bullseye

wo great techniques there. I'll be sure to try all of them out then
use the one that works best brother. She'll be glad I did in the end.
Get it, in the end. hehe.
Old April 9th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Bullseye

wrote:

You may be puzzled by the answers you've gotten. They're trying
to tell you that punishment is not an effective training method.

These people are just the type of people that would tell a mother
spanking their child in public to stop it or else they'll call the
authorities. These people never got the discipline when they were a
child and have probably become immature adults.

True, a whack on the butt can stop a behavior in its tracks,
but it's more likely to train the dog to fear you, but it doesn't
train him very effectively not to do the behavior again,
especially when you - the giver of punishment - are not around.
Is that the kind of relationship you want with your dog?

There are better ways. Check out Pat Miller and Jean Donaldson's
book, "The Power of Positive Dog Training."

I don't know what you mean by "disobedient." Are there specific
behaviors you are targeting, such as like chewing shoes,
urinating in the house?

Nah man, it's just sometimes she's annoying and looks like she wants
me to pat her on the head. I tell her No! Go away and play with your
toys! Pointing my finger to them. But no she sits there and doesn't
listen. It's really annoying, she's just being a little brat dog.

In brief, here are some other things you can do instead of
punishment a

1. Don't give the dog the opportunity to make the mistake. Put
away your shoes; or take the dog outside every couple of hours,
tether him to you when he hasn't been outside for at least an
hour, crate him when you can't supervise (this doesn't mean
keeping him in a crate 22 hours a day, however!).

Well I do, I keep her in a cage for days sometimes to punish her but
she still doesn't seem to understand.