Welsh Terrier Experience?

Old April 9th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
quadaces

Default Welsh Terrier Experience?

I have read on several websites that Welsh Terriers can be hard to
house train and train in general. Does anyone have any first hand
experience with this breed and can comment on this?

We are looking for a small/medium sized dog that is affectionate,
loyal, good with kids, trainable, cute and rugged enough to go for
walks and hikes outdoors. It must be able to be trained to be a
polite family member.

I wanted a large breed like a Lab or Golden, wife wanted a lap dog
like a poodle or Pomeranian. We're compromising and looking for a
smaller dog that can meet both our needs.

I do not want a dog that will run wildly out of control and listen to
nothing the owner says. We have a couple neighbors that stand in the
front yard and scream as their dogs run up and down the street out of
control.

We have a house with a small fenced yard. The dog will be an inside
dog and live with our family. It must be able to accompany us on
daily walks as a family.

How "coarse" is the coat on a Welsh Terrier? I can handle it not
being soft but when I read "wire" that doesn't mean painful to touch
like a mans unshaven face?

Unfortunately there are no Welsh Terriers in my area that I can find
and we are going to have to drive 7 hours to look at and get a puppy
we have been looking at. I'm trying to get as much information from
reading and sharing others experiences.

Any insight to this breed would be appreciated.

We have investigated and considered shelter and rescue dogs and we
have had bad experiences with two shelter cats that were fine at the
shelter and we got home and they would not come out from under the bed
for weeks. Several months after getting them they would hiss and bite
if you approached them quickly or without them seeing you coming. We
want a puppy we can raise ourselves and will grow up the way we live.

Thanks so much.
Old April 9th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

In article ,
quadaces wrote:

I have read on several websites that Welsh Terriers can be hard to
house train and train in general. Does anyone have any first hand
experience with this breed and can comment on this?

The first several I knew (back in the 70's) were biters. Bit family
members and strangers/guests as well. Now, there's nature vs nurture
and all that, and it was only 3 of them, but 100% seemed like a bad
thing to me!

We are looking for a small/medium sized dog that is affectionate,
loyal, good with kids, trainable, cute and rugged enough to go for
walks and hikes outdoors. It must be able to be trained to be a
polite family member.

All dogs can be trained. Some take more work than others. Terriers
tend to fit the not-as-easy group.

I wanted a large breed like a Lab or Golden, wife wanted a lap dog
like a poodle or Pomeranian. We're compromising and looking for a
smaller dog that can meet both our needs.

I think a WT is nothing like any of those breeds. Temperament and breed
characteristics are way off any of the above.

I do not want a dog that will run wildly out of control and listen to
nothing the owner says. We have a couple neighbors that stand in the
front yard and scream as their dogs run up and down the street out of
control.

Thats the owners' fault, not the dogs.

We have a house with a small fenced yard. The dog will be an inside
dog and live with our family. It must be able to accompany us on
daily walks as a family.

How "coarse" is the coat on a Welsh Terrier? I can handle it not
being soft but when I read "wire" that doesn't mean painful to touch
like a mans unshaven face?

No. They are relatively soft, especially depending on how they are
trimmed. But again, breed temperament is a bigger issue

Go to the library and get a book called "The Right Dog for You" by
Daniel Tortora. Answer everything COMPLETELY - don't skip around
reading attributes first. Do the lengthy questionnaires toward the rear
of the book. Have you and your wife do them separately. Then read the
results and compare. You may be surprised at the answers, but will have
a much better idea of the kind of dog you really want to live with.

What is your dog owning experience thus far? Any?

--
Janet Boss
Old April 9th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lis

On Apr 9, 7:03 am, Janet Boss
wrote:

snip

Go to the library and get a book called "The Right Dog for You" by
Daniel Tortora. Answer everything COMPLETELY - don't skip around
reading attributes first. Do the lengthy questionnaires toward the rear
of the book. Have you and your wife do them separately. Then read the
results and compare. You may be surprised at the answers, but will have
a much better idea of the kind of dog you really want to live with.

And after doing the questionaire in Tortora's book, get and read "Your
Purebred Puppy" by Michelle Welton. Her breed descriptions are more up-
to-date, accurate, and complete than Tortora's (whose book is now
fairly old), and they're very realistic.

Lis

Old April 9th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lis

On Apr 9, 3:10 am, quadaces
wrote:
I have read on several websites that Welsh Terriers can be hard to
house train and train in general. Does anyone have any first hand
experience with this breed and can comment on this?

Terriers _generally_ are on the "harder to train" side; they have
minds of their own, because they were bred for work where they
couldn't be under the constant direction of a human being. "Harder"
doesn't mean "can't be done" though. But you might want to consider a
breed with a softer personality.

We are looking for a small/medium sized dog that is affectionate,
loyal, good with kids, trainable, cute and rugged enough to go for
walks and hikes outdoors. It must be able to be trained to be a
polite family member.

This is mostly training, but as regards kids, see the books Janet and
I have recommended, talk to breeders, and consider the ages of your
children. Very small children + dogs who are either relatively
fragile, or have relatively strong prey drives = bad combination.
Slightly older children + sturdier and/or less prey-oriented dogs =
wonderful combination--PROVIDED you teach the children how to interact
appropriately with the dog.

I wanted a large breed like a Lab or Golden, wife wanted a lap dog
like a poodle or Pomeranian. We're compromising and looking for a
smaller dog that can meet both our needs.

I do not want a dog that will run wildly out of control and listen to
nothing the owner says. We have a couple neighbors that stand in the
front yard and scream as their dogs run up and down the street out of
control.

This is entirely training. 100%. Some dogs are more work to train than
others, but any normal, healthy dog can be trained to be obedient and
responsive.

We have a house with a small fenced yard. The dog will be an inside
dog and live with our family. It must be able to accompany us on
daily walks as a family.

Requirements like this will help endear you to any responsible breeder
of whatever breed you finally decide on. Seriously.

How "coarse" is the coat on a Welsh Terrier? I can handle it not
being soft but when I read "wire" that doesn't mean painful to touch
like a mans unshaven face?

Unfortunately there are no Welsh Terriers in my area that I can find
and we are going to have to drive 7 hours to look at and get a puppy
we have been looking at. I'm trying to get as much information from
reading and sharing others experiences.

Find some dog shows, and go to them. Talk to people. I used Tortora's
book that Janet Boss mentions, and Michelle Welton's, and learned a
lot from both (you want Tortora's questionaire, and Welton's breed
descriptions), but talking to people who actually lived with, worked
with, and loved the breeds made a huge difference. Dog show people are
generally friendly and, if they're not actually primping the animal
for the ring right then, generally eager to have interested people
meet their dogs.

Any insight to this breed would be appreciated.

We have investigated and considered shelter and rescue dogs and we
have had bad experiences with two shelter cats that were fine at the
shelter and we got home and they would not come out from under the bed
for weeks. Several months after getting them they would hiss and bite
if you approached them quickly or without them seeing you coming. We
want a puppy we can raise ourselves and will grow up the way we live.

Shelters are a great option for adopting pets, but not right for
everyone, or every time. I've had a number shelter rescue pets, with
great success, but my newest dog is a Chinese Crested Powderpuff,
bought from a breeder. It's no favor to the shelter animal if you
adopt it and then find you're not prepared to cope with its possible
baggage and unknown history. Don't ever feel that you have to explain
to anyone why you want a puppy to grow up with your family.

Lis

Experience with pet products [email protected] Dogs - general 3 March 12th 06 01:37 PM
Welsh Terrier Info Tee Dog breeds 42 October 4th 05 07:02 PM
First Boarding Experience Suja Dog behavior 10 July 7th 05 12:18 PM
Welsh Terrier running away [email protected] Dog breeds 3 December 29th 04 02:46 AM
Welsh Terrier Update Jo Wolf Dog health 3 August 6th 03 04:26 PM