FDA update - food recall

Old April 9th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
buglady

Default FDA update - food recall

April 5, 2007
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopi...od_update.html
FDA's priority now is to assure that all contaminated product is identified
and removed from store shelves. All the contaminated wheat gluten has been
traced, and all the pet food manufacturers who have received contaminated
ingredients have been identified and have initiated recalls;

........I'm reading this as there will be no more pet food recalls WRT the
wheat gluten. One can only hope.

.........Since the FDA is now up to date for all recalls, it is the best
place to find out which products were recalled.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 9th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Shelly

"buglady" wrote in
nk.net:

........Since the FDA is now up to date for all recalls, it is
the best place to find out which products were recalled.

Thank you. And thank you for making all those updates here.

We were talking about the recall at work on Friday, and I was
surprised to seen that folks were relying solely on Menu's recall
website. One of my coworkers was actually feeding wet Alpo,
thinking it was safe because it wasn't on Menu's list. It didn't
occur to her that it might not be made by Menu. I told her to
check Purina's website, and she did.

The same thing happened with a good friend of mine. She gives her
cats Pounce treats (Del Monte) and had no idea that they, too, had
been recalled. Ditto Lassie dog greats.

So that's three dogs and three cats who might still be eating
tainted product if it hadn't been for your posts here. Thank you!

--
Shelly

The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.
-- Carl Jung
Old April 9th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
buglady

"Shelly" wrote in message
. 102...
We were talking about the recall at work on Friday, and I was
surprised to seen that folks were relying solely on Menu's recall
website.

..........Our two local papers had ONE story about the recall. Now, I can't
imagine what else local papers are for, but to disseminate this kind of info
in a small town. One has a whole section dedicated to announcing church
services - pages long, yet never mentioned the recall once. The paper that
at least published the story once, later reprinted 24 column inches about -
who else - Anna Nicole Smith to fill space they could have used to update
the recalls. They fell down on the job miserably. TV shows don't update
their web links either - I checked on big city site - and in fact were 24
hours late announcing some recalls. Everyone tells you to go to the web.
If you have no web access, don't have CNN and your local paper doesn't cover
it, the TV is behind and doesn't give you complete info, well you're up sh*t
creek. The lack of communication from top to bottom has been way beyond
irritating.

Add to that the *comedy* of errors in retail outlets - one shift of
employees pulling recalled food, the next shift putting it back out. Stores
not doing anything until they got the official FDA announcement, even though
a pet food company had a recall notice on their site. Some dollar stores
putting the recalled product on sale. GAK......A human recall of food of
this scope would have panicked the nation. And would have been news, with
continuous updates about numbers of *suspected* illnesses due to food.

So when anything like this happens (especially for pets, who are apparently
out of the loop), run a few copies off of the recall notices and pass them
around at work. Bug your local newspaper to cover it. Call your local TV
stations and bug them for coverage. Check out at least one local grocery
store and find out what their policies are on recalls. Check to see if they
have announcements on recalls taped to those empty shelves, so people can
check what they bought last week.

And above all, start writing to local, state and govt officials to let them
know we'd like a system for food safety that works, for pets and people.
This isn't just about a bunch of loony pet people, it's about food safety
across the board.

end of sermon

Old April 9th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
[email protected]

On Apr 9, 9:02�am, "buglady" wrote:
April 5, 2007http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood_update.html
FDA's priority now is to assure that all contaminated product is identified
and removed from store shelves. All the contaminated wheat gluten has been
traced, and all the pet food manufacturers who have received contaminated
ingredients have been identified and have initiated recalls;

.......I'm reading this as there will be no more pet food recalls WRT the
wheat gluten. *One can only hope.

........Since the FDA is now up to date for all recalls, it is the best
place to find out which products were recalled.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I don't know if these sites have already been posted here, but they
have a lot of good info.
http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/

Regards

Old April 9th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Shelly

"buglady" wrote in
news
later reprinted 24 column inches about - who else - Anna Nicole
Smith to fill space they could have used to update the recalls.

Good grief! She's *still* hogging the news?

TV shows don't update their web links either - I checked on big
city site - and in fact were 24 hours late announcing some
recalls.

I don't get the local paper and I don't watch much TV news. I did
notice that the one local station I watch has had regular updates,
though, both on air and on their website. But they are generally
good at quietly doing their *job*.

Everyone tells you to go to the web.
If you have no web access,

It's easy to forget that there are folks who don't have web access,
but there are.

don't have CNN and your local paper
doesn't cover it, the TV is behind and doesn't give you complete
info, well you're up sh*t creek. The lack of communication from
top to bottom has been way beyond irritating.

And you can't even really rely on your vet, either, because vets
have had to rely on the same news sources as us.

Add to that the *comedy* of errors in retail outlets - one shift
of employees pulling recalled food, the next shift putting it
back out.

Holy crap!

Some dollar stores putting the recalled
product on sale.

I'm boggled by that, but I probably shouldn't be.

And would have been news, with
continuous updates about numbers of *suspected* illnesses due to
food.

I remember not being able to turn on the television without seeing
something on the spinach recall.

So when anything like this happens (especially for pets, who are
apparently out of the loop), run a few copies off of the recall
notices and pass them around at work.

I have not done that, but boy will I make sure to do so in the
future. Just about everyone I work with has pets, and we have
several bulletin boards and areas for posting notices.

end of sermon

A good sermon, though. Thank you!

--
Shelly

If you see a tree as blue, then make it blue.
-- Paul Gauguin

News update - recall buglady Dog health 0 March 30th 07 05:28 PM
the pet food recall Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 6 March 20th 07 06:23 PM
URGENT -- Pet food recall MaryL Dog health 0 December 23rd 05 07:37 AM
pet food recall Lydia Dog health 0 October 27th 03 08:10 PM
pet food recall Lydia Dog health 0 October 27th 03 08:10 PM