New Weird Doxie Behavior

Old April 10th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mdginzo

Default New Weird Doxie Behavior

Bob, my 8 year old mini-Doxie is used to sleeping in bed with me. For
the last 8 years he has slept soundly through the night and way into
the morning. Trying to wake him might get you growl even. So now all
of a sudden he has gotten into the habit of waking me up in the middle
of the night by either nudging my hand (as if to pet him) or else
nudging my face with his nose. This doesn't stop until I put him in
his crate. I hate to have him sleep in his crate, but I need my
sleep. What should I do? I thought of maybe leashing him in such a
way so that he can't get to my face or hands while I am sleeping.

Old April 10th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lis

On Apr 10, 7:33 am, "mdginzo" wrote:
Bob, my 8 year old mini-Doxie is used to sleeping in bed with me. For
the last 8 years he has slept soundly through the night and way into
the morning. Trying to wake him might get you growl even. So now all
of a sudden he has gotten into the habit of waking me up in the middle
of the night by either nudging my hand (as if to pet him) or else
nudging my face with his nose. This doesn't stop until I put him in
his crate. I hate to have him sleep in his crate, but I need my
sleep. What should I do? I thought of maybe leashing him in such a
way so that he can't get to my face or hands while I am sleeping.

Take him to the vet and get him checked out for any possible medical
problems, first. Behavior changes are often a sign of an underlying
medical problem, and at 8 your Doxie isn't a kid anymore.

If there are no medical problems, then, yes, stick him in his crate
every time he wakes you up. He'll learn that he can EITHER sleep with
you, or wake you up in the middle of the night, but not both.

Lis

Old April 10th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

mdginzo wrote:
Bob, my 8 year old mini-Doxie is used to sleeping in bed with me. For
the last 8 years he has slept soundly through the night and way into
the morning. Trying to wake him might get you growl even. So now all
of a sudden he has gotten into the habit of waking me up in the middle
of the night by either nudging my hand (as if to pet him) or else
nudging my face with his nose. This doesn't stop until I put him in
his crate. I hate to have him sleep in his crate, but I need my
sleep. What should I do? I thought of maybe leashing him in such a
way so that he can't get to my face or hands while I am sleeping.

First, as was suggested, get him checked out by the vet.

Does he want to go outside? Older dogs (like older humans)
sometimes can't hold their bladder or bowels through the night.

Has sleeping on the bed become aversive for him? What does he do
when you put him in his crate - does he bark? whine? or just go
to sleep? Is there somewhere else he'd prefer to sleep?

I've gone through this - frequent wakening by nudging - for the
past six months or so with my fifteen year old chihuahua. The
vet visits (yes, she has problems, but nothing that explained
frequent night wakening). Letting her out whenever she nosed me.
Crating her (she barked). Feeding her earlier in the evening.

Finally, one night after I let her out, the bedroom door was open
and she took off, ran down the hall and plopped herself on her
bed in the living room. Aha, I thought, she wants to sleep in
her doggie bed. (She doesn't jump off the bed, waits to be put
down. Otherwise this would have occurred to me sooner.)

But no - when I brought that back to the bedroom, she again took
off down the hall and curled up on an afghan that was on the
living room floor. Hmm - maybe she wants to sleep in the living
room? Fine - I've got to get some sleep!

So I left her there, and she has slept there every night for the
past two weeks. I guess THAT is what she was trying to tell me by
nosing me awake three or four times a night - that she wanted to
sleep elsewhere. I have no idea why - our snoring keeps her
awake? The bed is too warm? She can't get comfortable?

I'd prefer that she sleep in the bedroom, but she seems perfectly
content to sleep in the LR, and I'm finally getting enough sleep.

So try some creative problem solving about what your dog is
trying to tell you. He's not doing it just to be obnoxious, no
matter how tempting that thought is at 3 AM.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 10th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

mdginzo wrote:
Bob, my 8 year old mini-Doxie is used to sleeping in bed with me. For
the last 8 years he has slept soundly through the night and way into
the morning. Trying to wake him might get you growl even. So now all
of a sudden he has gotten into the habit of waking me up in the middle
of the night by either nudging my hand (as if to pet him) or else
nudging my face with his nose. This doesn't stop until I put him in
his crate. I hate to have him sleep in his crate, but I need my
sleep. What should I do? I thought of maybe leashing him in such a
way so that he can't get to my face or hands while I am sleeping.

An odd thought: Is it possible that YOUR sleeping habits have changed?
Maybe you're snoring or twitching in a way that disturbs or frightens
him? If that's the case, he's awakened by your (to him) odd behavior,
and then he nudges you awake to stop the behavior or to tell you about
it. He feels safer in his crate and is less disturbed by you there.

I'd just put him in his comfortable crate at the beginning of the night.
Think of it like an old married couple whose relationship is fine but
who find, as they get older, that they're more comfortable in separate beds.

--Lia, who has, more than once, flipped a snoring man on to his side in
the middle of the night

Old April 10th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mdginzo

On Apr 10, 10:29 am, Julia Altshuler wrote:
mdginzo wrote:
[...]

Now that you mention it, Bob slept one night on the couch (with his
favorite blanket on it) without even asking to come to bed. I will
bring the blanket back to bed and if not, just let him sleep on the
couch. Third thing is to let him sleep in the crate.

Old April 12th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Hey ASSHOWE!
I am Lisa, Mike Dufort's girlfriend. (You still have not learned how
to spell Dufort...I guess you are in serious need of a spelling
instructor)
Oh and I was wondering...could you answer me WHY you insidiously
insist on putting your name into every freaking word that happens to
have an *o* in it?
What is your damage? Insecure much, or anything? God complex or
something? You, sirrah, (yeah look it up, it's an INSULT, dickweed)
are a danger to the community and I sincerely hope someone arrests
your lame idiot ass before you can molest another child or rape
another woman! Oh, I would like to know why you call Mike a coward,
when you refuse to meet him in a public place? Are you afraid the cops
will find you and take you away? Well I've got a newsflash for
ya...they already know where ya are...just wait for them...and the men
in the white coats with the nice jacket that lets you hug yourself.
You are the only one who would be willing to hug you anyway. Oh, and
the next time you decide to threaten Mike with his life...you will
find yourself dealing directly with me....don't **** me off, sicko
molester. This goes out to all those who have been the victims of Mr.
Hoe's drivel...DON'T EVER spike a dog's temperature! That is just as
dangerous as a child with a temp of over 104. Anything over 104 can
cause IRREPAIRABLE BRAIN DAMAGE! Anyone with half a friggin brain cell
knows this! Obviously, Mr. Hoe doesn't have any brains at all
whatsoever! If you care about your pets, people, do them a favor and
DON'T listen to Jerry Hoe...cus thats what he is...a HO...pimping out
his drivel, because he doesn't have a day job! He beats his wife and
treats her like crap...starves her and dehydrates her...think of that
people! Is THAT the person you want teaching YOUR precious dogs/cats/
horses? I could do a better job!

Question About My Little 11 Yr Old Doxie [email protected] Dog health 1 April 27th 05 01:47 PM
My Doxie is howling! Scott Whittaker Dog behavior 6 August 26th 03 12:09 AM
My Doxie is howling! Scott Whittaker Dog behavior 0 August 25th 03 11:35 PM
Weird Behavior randomme Dog health 10 August 2nd 03 11:31 PM
Weird eating behavior.... Holier Than Thou Dog behavior 8 July 25th 03 06:29 PM