For Buglady - E.R.D. Test

Old April 10th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

Default For Buglady - E.R.D. Test

Just thought I'd let you know about the Heska E.R.D. test that you had
mentioned, for Khan's possible kidney issue. I had a bunch of questions for
the vet, and talked to her yesterday. She said that they used this
particular test extensively when she was at Cornell, and her opinion is that
unless you do 3 tests over a 9 week period (3 weeks apart), and the results
are consistant over that period, the results are meaningless or difficult to
interpret. She said that she's spoken since with consulting internists, and
they're also of the opinion that the test has limited utility in the
diagnosis of kidney disease, and she's really rather do radiographs to
identify stones and as a baseline for a follow-up with an ultrasound.

I did ask her how they go about measuring blood pressure in dogs (which she
said would be a next step anyway, if his 12 hour water deprivation urine
still had low specific gravity). Shave dog above the wrist joint. Make
sure dog is not putting any weight on the leg. Use a doppler like device to
detect the heart rhythm, instead of a stethescope. The rest of the process
is pretty much like it is in humans. She said that she prefers to use the
front leg in both cats and dogs, although some cats can be "funny" about it,
and do better with tail (which is not her preference).

Suja

Old April 10th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Suja wrote:

I did ask her how they go about measuring blood pressure in dogs (which she
said would be a next step anyway, if his 12 hour water deprivation urine
still had low specific gravity). Shave dog above the wrist joint. Make
sure dog is not putting any weight on the leg. Use a doppler like device to
detect the heart rhythm, instead of a stethescope. The rest of the process
is pretty much like it is in humans. She said that she prefers to use the
front leg in both cats and dogs, although some cats can be "funny" about it,
and do better with tail (which is not her preference).

Both Oppie and Chile have had their blood pressure measured in
the past few weeks, and I got to observe it with Chile. Talk
about a TINY cuff! It was about 1" wide and 4" long. They
measured it three times, and got values of 148, 152 and 160
(high, but not unusual in a vet office. They get concerned when
they are over 180). They only measure systolic, but not
diastolic pressure.

I don't understand why BP isn't routinely measured as part of the
dog's annual physical. It took about five minutes, from shave to
cuff removal. Our vet. ophthalmologist said that a significant
proportion of the eye problems he sees are due to high blood
pressure, and he thinks that that was the reason Oppie lost his
vision in one eye and was showing vascular engorgement in the
other one (and that had decreased a couple of weeks after he
started a BP med.)

We haven't had a urine SG check on Oppie since his LP surgery and
start on BP meds, but his drinking has dropped to a more
reasonable 4-5 cups of water per day. One data point.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 10th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
Suja wrote:

........Hey, thanks to both for interesting information!

.......As to why they don't do BP, I imagine most owners don't want their
dogs shaved continually. They might night mind as much of they took a
little more care, but when my cat had to have blood drawn, they shaved the
ugliest looking patch on her neck I've ever seen. It just went everywhere.
I understood the need to uncover both jugular veins, but it didn't have to
wander over to her shoulder!

Old April 10th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:06:13 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

.......Hey, thanks to both for interesting information!

......As to why they don't do BP, I imagine most owners don't want
their dogs shaved continually. They might night mind as much of they
took a little more care, but when my cat had to have blood drawn, they
shaved the ugliest looking patch on her neck I've ever seen. It just
went everywhere. I understood the need to uncover both jugular veins,
but it didn't have to wander over to her shoulder!

I'm going to start requesting BP checks at our annual visits, as
humiliating as the shaving part will be for the cats. My dog won't care,
and neither will I.

--
Lynne
Old April 10th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to start requesting BP checks at our annual visits, as
humiliating as the shaving part will be for the cats. My dog won't care,
and neither will I.

.......my cat was old and ready to go any time. I think it's harder when you
have to look at a dead pet that looks like she'd been in close contact with
a weed whacker. Not rational, but there it is. Fortunately she lived long
enough to grow her hair back.

Old April 10th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:47:09 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

......my cat was old and ready to go any time. I think it's harder
when you have to look at a dead pet that looks like she'd been in
close contact with a weed whacker. Not rational, but there it is.
Fortunately she lived long enough to grow her hair back.

There's nothing rational about losing a beloved pet...
My cats are young enough that I won't mind subjecting them to the
humiliation of a bad haircut, though the little one may not do well with
the stress of being shaved come to think of it. He's got FHV and stress is
bad bad bad for him.

It's a shame there isn't an easier way to measure bp in dogs and cats.
Maybe I can shave them at home first and that will make it less traumatic.

--
Lynne
Old April 10th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Lynne" wrote in message
It's a shame there isn't an easier way to measure bp in dogs and cats.
Maybe I can shave them at home first and that will make it less traumatic.

.........I always wished (for cats especially) that they had a smaller
(narrower) shaver and could run a strip up both jugular veins rather than
use that big honking thing they use on dogs. Cats just do not like anyone
messin' with their fur. How about a shaver the size of a dremel tool? g

Old April 10th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:04:14 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

........I always wished (for cats especially) that they had a smaller
(narrower) shaver and could run a strip up both jugular veins rather
than use that big honking thing they use on dogs. Cats just do not
like anyone messin' with their fur. How about a shaver the size of a
dremel tool? g

You know, they have these tiny little shavers now for ladies faces...
The thing on the right he

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES22...rves-Personal-
Groomer/dp/B00066Y0M2

I never saw a need for anything like that (and I hope I never will!), but I
wonder if they could get through cat fur? They are small and they look
quiet. Might be worth buying one just to test, and doG help me, I'll have
it if I ever need it for myself! gasp

--
Lynne
Old April 11th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

How about a shaver the size of a dremel tool? g

like this.......

http://tinyurl.com/4m6yk

Old April 11th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:05:58 GMT, "MauiJNP" wrote:

like this.......

http://tinyurl.com/4m6yk

oooh! That's nice, and there are replacement blades available. Good find.

--
Lynne

Buglady - how's your dog's back? Sharon Dog health 3 March 14th 06 12:24 PM
For buglady: Re been to vet still baffled update.. Andrea S Dog health 6 July 26th 05 04:52 PM
PING buglady jokerpit Dog health 24 August 11th 04 03:10 AM
test shader Dog behavior 0 March 29th 04 01:50 AM
Luke won't eat: Suddenly... Buglady ;and kind? ZPL Dog health 17 August 9th 03 08:13 PM