CSU Signs Multi-year Agreement With World-Renowned Mayo Clinic

Old April 11th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dan[_2_]

Default CSU Signs Multi-year Agreement With World-Renowned Mayo Clinic

I believe the information I found is from 2006, but couldn't find the
exact dates. I was looking at CSU's website because I will be applying
to their veterinary program in the near future and I found this
information, which caught my interest:

Mayo Clinic has signed a multi-year biomedically focused research
agreement with Colorado State University to collaborate on the
development of oncology and infectious disease therapeutics. Colorado
State's world-leading expertise in biomedical research and Mayo's
unparalleled reputation for integrating groundbreaking research and
patient care provide the foundation for this innovative partnership.

Colorado State in Fort Collins will be only the second university with
which Mayo Clinic is collaborating on research and education
initiatives at its Scottsdale, Ariz., campus.

Unique opportunity to combine expertise

The collaboration will allow the unique opportunity for Mayo Clinic
and Colorado State to combine expertise in comparative oncology and
disease treatments. The objective of the collaboration is to identify
research and educational initiatives for vaccinology, oncology and
infectious disease therapies.

"The goal of this collaboration is to bring new diagnostic tests
specifically related to cancer and infectious diseases to aid us in
advancing biomedical research in oncology and to bring potentially new
diagnostics and therapeutics to our patients," said Dr. Ronald J.
Marler, associate director for Research/Research Alliances at Mayo
Clinic.

"Mayo Clinic is a worldwide leader in transferring new technology from
the laboratory directly to patients," said Tony Frank, provost and
senior vice president at Colorado State. "With Mayo, Colorado State
can collaborate on research related to cancer and infectious disease
to find solutions to serious health problems affecting the entire
globe. At the same time, we can learn more from one of the most
successful clinical laboratories in the country about expeditiously
moving our technologies and solutions into the marketplace."

Partnership has potential to help solve a variety of human health
problems

The partnership with Mayo is predicted to expand the pipeline of
treatments that have the potential to solve a variety of serious human
health problems. The basis for this agreement is Colorado State's
excellence in a wide range of biomedical research, which includes its
Animal Cancer Center. The Animal Cancer Center has pioneered numerous
surgical, radiation therapy and chemotherapy procedures associated
with cancer, and its work has had application for both humans and non-
humans. The center, which is a branch of the Veterinary Teaching
Hospital within the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical
Sciences, has trained more veterinary surgical and medical oncologists
than any other veterinary institution in the world.

Research at the Animal Cancer Center translates directly into finding
cures and therapies for human cancer.

Some recent examples:

-Researchers have developed a way to deliver intravenous radiation
drugs to bone cancer patients without causing damage to other healthy
cells and vital organs, drastically reducing illness and other common
side effects of toxic radiation treatments. The technique also allows
doctors to deliver radiation in only one dose - as opposed to the
standard of three to six - and in a higher, more effective
concentration. The doctors are working to pinpoint a dose that will
achieve 90 percent or higher tumor kill in their canine patients; the
goal for traditional treatments in people also is 90 percent tumor die-
off before surgery. Dr. Nicole Ehrhart, a veterinarian and cancer
expert at Colorado State, is leading the effort.

-Dr. Simon Turner, a Colorado State veterinarian, has helped prevent
limb amputations in humans with bone cancer with his research into a
custom-fit bone replacement device. The device, which now is in about
400 people, gives patients facing amputation new hope, providing
implants with extended life and extra stability. Using spring-loaded
compression and a new anchoring technique, the device, which is
designed to replace a segment of bone, helps patients who have little
bone available in which to implant a device because of the location of
a tumor. It also reduces eventual amputations in patients who have had
implants for an extended period of time and encounter common
complications.

I think this bone replacement device is such a great advancement in
veterinary and human medicine, now only if I could talk the orthopedic
surgeon that I work with into using this for patients who face
amputation. The research being done at CSU is the top in the country
and have been since the first half of the 1900's. It is no wonder that
such great veterinarians come out of this university.

If you want to join in more discussions on different health topics for
pets, come check out my blog:

http://www.180-pets.com/index.html

-Dan