A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 12th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
mm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

Hi, I've been dogsitting for this dog 5 or 10 years, maybe 2 weeks a
year, or a little more, split into 2, maybe 3 parts, and for the last
year or so, she has gotten less and less "normal"

She used to obey me pretty well when I took her for a walk, but now
sometimes she really fights when I want to go back. She almost never
shows what I would have called real obedience, like I think she used
to. I don't care about that from an emotional pov, but sometimes I
want to go home, or I can't even start to walk her if I don't have
enough time for her prima donna attitude. But that is not the big
problem.

She was here last week for a day and a half, and didn't drink or eat a
thing, afaict, during that time. She went up to look at the food,
once each day, and may have taken a bite each time, but I'm not sure,
and the food level didn't change much. The water level seemed to stay
the same also. The same food and water that she gets at home.

When she didn't drink the water in the kitchen, I moved it upstairs to
the bathroom, where it has been for a few years. But before that it
was in the kitchen, and she drank it and when I moved it to the
bathroom she also didn't complain. I only moved it upstairs so it
would be easier for her to find it in the night. (Do I need to leave
a light on for her to find the water? In the upstairs bathroom, and
what if it is downstairs in the kitchen?)

She's a golden retriever, so when she drinks, it's usually almost a
bowelful.

Finally, just as I was getting ready to take her home last week, she
ate a whole bowl of food. This started as I was going into the fridge
to get the rest of her food to put in the car, but I think she started
eating before she could have figured that out. She might have seen me
pick up her water bowl upstairs, and because that was up already,
there was nothing for her to drink until she got to her home 5 minutes
away, where she promptly drank a whole bowl of water.

That was last Friday. Today is Wednesday, and her family is on
vacation again and she has been here since 10:30 this morning and it
is 8:30 PM now and afaict she hasn't eaten or drunk a thing, and shows
no interest in going out. She ate, and went out twice this morning
before she arrived, but that was 10 hours ago.

Last visit, just last week, once when she heard the door open or shut,
she was at the door and trying to get through my legs to get out.
She'd been walked and I had to leave right away, so I ended up picking
her up by her collar and turning her to face into the house, so I
could escape. She didn't seem angry at me for this, at the time or
when I got home, and she was ready to go out when I was taking her to
the car. But this time I call her, and she doesn't even come to eat.
It's dry food but I would think she could smell it, even when she is
upstairs. After all, I can smell it when I"m pouring it out, in the
kitchen0 So I go upstairs and show her the leash, so there is no
question about what I have in mind.

She'll walk to the top of the stairs, and she used to follow me down
the stairs, but not tonight. When I stood behind her and said Go, she
wouldn't move**. So I went first and she used to follow me, but now
she stood there for a while and then went back to my office where she
spends all her time on the floor.

**That's also been getting worse over the years. IIRC, she would walk
to the stairs and start down. Then she paused at the top, and I would
have to say Go. Then I would have to say Go three times, and now I
can say go over and over and over and she won't go.

This time I was especially in a hurry for her to go out (although it
has been 10 hours since she arrived and she used to be willing to go
out any time I was willing, like every 4 hours.) because a tree fell
on my fence last month, and I haven't had time to repair it well. I
repaired it poorly today, and wanted to see if she would try to make a
break for it at the damaged fence, and if she could knock it down.

Could all of my problems be caused because 2 or 3 years ago, I
replaced the last missing pickets and now I only walk her on a leash
every 2 to 4 days. The rest of the time, I just open the door and let
her do what she wants. I do that about 5 times a day, maybe every 4
hours or so. I was hoping she would claw at the door or bark when she
was ready to come back in. I didn't want to open the door looking for
her, because I thought she would think that meant she HAD to come back
in. At least once she played in the back yard when she was out there,
but I can't see my side yard or even my little front yard, and now
when I open the door she's always there waiting to come in, even after
only 5 minutes.

Her family gives me a couple toys to play with with her or for her to
play with alone, a rope, a tennis ball, a rubber bone, but she's never
been interested in these things at my house. So that doesn't bother
me except that now it looks like the start of some autistic trend at
my house.

She used to get a doggy treat after going out, but they decided she
was over weight, and now I'm supposed to give her salad. In the two
visits last year, sometimes I didn't have any, but I thought she went
out mostly because she had to.

She has to take a Bufferin twice a day, and 2 pills for arthritis
twice a day. I've just mixed them in with the food, and until last
week, she just gobbled it all down. And last week they forgot the
pills so that was not why she wouldn't eat the food.

It was one thing for her to go a day and a half without eating,
butthey won't be back for 4 1/2 days this time.

Help, please.


If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
  #2  
Old April 12th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

You might try mixing something good in with the food but that's no guarantee
she will eat.

My dog Barney got this way later in life. I had always left him with my mom
and we was find but someplace but the time I was in the hospital for 10 days
he barely ate a thing. He got so bad that he would sit at the door and fuss
constantly when I left him. After that I never took off without him I made
sure if I had to go away that he could go along.

Celeste

"mm" wrote in message
...
Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

Hi, I've been dogsitting for this dog 5 or 10 years, maybe 2 weeks a
year, or a little more, split into 2, maybe 3 parts, and for the last
year or so, she has gotten less and less "normal"

She used to obey me pretty well when I took her for a walk, but now
sometimes she really fights when I want to go back. She almost never
shows what I would have called real obedience, like I think she used
to. I don't care about that from an emotional pov, but sometimes I
want to go home, or I can't even start to walk her if I don't have
enough time for her prima donna attitude. But that is not the big
problem.

She was here last week for a day and a half, and didn't drink or eat a
thing, afaict, during that time. She went up to look at the food,
once each day, and may have taken a bite each time, but I'm not sure,
and the food level didn't change much. The water level seemed to stay
the same also. The same food and water that she gets at home.

When she didn't drink the water in the kitchen, I moved it upstairs to
the bathroom, where it has been for a few years. But before that it
was in the kitchen, and she drank it and when I moved it to the
bathroom she also didn't complain. I only moved it upstairs so it
would be easier for her to find it in the night. (Do I need to leave
a light on for her to find the water? In the upstairs bathroom, and
what if it is downstairs in the kitchen?)

She's a golden retriever, so when she drinks, it's usually almost a
bowelful.

Finally, just as I was getting ready to take her home last week, she
ate a whole bowl of food. This started as I was going into the fridge
to get the rest of her food to put in the car, but I think she started
eating before she could have figured that out. She might have seen me
pick up her water bowl upstairs, and because that was up already,
there was nothing for her to drink until she got to her home 5 minutes
away, where she promptly drank a whole bowl of water.

That was last Friday. Today is Wednesday, and her family is on
vacation again and she has been here since 10:30 this morning and it
is 8:30 PM now and afaict she hasn't eaten or drunk a thing, and shows
no interest in going out. She ate, and went out twice this morning
before she arrived, but that was 10 hours ago.

Last visit, just last week, once when she heard the door open or shut,
she was at the door and trying to get through my legs to get out.
She'd been walked and I had to leave right away, so I ended up picking
her up by her collar and turning her to face into the house, so I
could escape. She didn't seem angry at me for this, at the time or
when I got home, and she was ready to go out when I was taking her to
the car. But this time I call her, and she doesn't even come to eat.
It's dry food but I would think she could smell it, even when she is
upstairs. After all, I can smell it when I"m pouring it out, in the
kitchen0 So I go upstairs and show her the leash, so there is no
question about what I have in mind.

She'll walk to the top of the stairs, and she used to follow me down
the stairs, but not tonight. When I stood behind her and said Go, she
wouldn't move**. So I went first and she used to follow me, but now
she stood there for a while and then went back to my office where she
spends all her time on the floor.

**That's also been getting worse over the years. IIRC, she would walk
to the stairs and start down. Then she paused at the top, and I would
have to say Go. Then I would have to say Go three times, and now I
can say go over and over and over and she won't go.

This time I was especially in a hurry for her to go out (although it
has been 10 hours since she arrived and she used to be willing to go
out any time I was willing, like every 4 hours.) because a tree fell
on my fence last month, and I haven't had time to repair it well. I
repaired it poorly today, and wanted to see if she would try to make a
break for it at the damaged fence, and if she could knock it down.

Could all of my problems be caused because 2 or 3 years ago, I
replaced the last missing pickets and now I only walk her on a leash
every 2 to 4 days. The rest of the time, I just open the door and let
her do what she wants. I do that about 5 times a day, maybe every 4
hours or so. I was hoping she would claw at the door or bark when she
was ready to come back in. I didn't want to open the door looking for
her, because I thought she would think that meant she HAD to come back
in. At least once she played in the back yard when she was out there,
but I can't see my side yard or even my little front yard, and now
when I open the door she's always there waiting to come in, even after
only 5 minutes.

Her family gives me a couple toys to play with with her or for her to
play with alone, a rope, a tennis ball, a rubber bone, but she's never
been interested in these things at my house. So that doesn't bother
me except that now it looks like the start of some autistic trend at
my house.

She used to get a doggy treat after going out, but they decided she
was over weight, and now I'm supposed to give her salad. In the two
visits last year, sometimes I didn't have any, but I thought she went
out mostly because she had to.

She has to take a Bufferin twice a day, and 2 pills for arthritis
twice a day. I've just mixed them in with the food, and until last
week, she just gobbled it all down. And last week they forgot the
pills so that was not why she wouldn't eat the food.

It was one thing for her to go a day and a half without eating,
butthey won't be back for 4 1/2 days this time.

Help, please.


If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)



  #3  
Old April 12th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
mm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

On 12 Apr 2007 16:46:19 GMT, Rocky wrote:

"Spot" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

You might try mixing something good in with the food but
that's no guarantee she will eat.


She finally ate late last night, and again today late morning, after
she went out. In the past she would eat right before she went out,
but I'll settle for after, I guess.

Assuming she'll continue to eat, I continue to have two other problems
remaining.

She still hasn't drunk anything, after 30 hours,

And she doesn't want to go downstairs. She comes upstairs I think
primarily because I am here, but an hour ago she was nuzzling me,
which I think means she wants to go out. Used to be she would just go
to the steps and wait there, but now I have to say Go, and she'll walk
about 3 feet, look back and pause. Then I say Go, and she goes
another 3 to 6 feet. Aftter about 4 of these she got to the steps,
but then when I said Go, she wouldn't go. Prodding her from behind
has never helpd, and leading her no longer helps. I would pick her up
but I'm afraid she'll struggle and I'll drop her, and she could hit
the wrought iron railing, or go over the railing all the way to the
main floor. I tried to pull by the collar but she turned around and
went back to my office.

According to the poster, the owners want the dog to have only
low calorie treats.


That'w true, but I'm thinking under the circumstances I could ignore
that for a few days.

What I used to do with Good Ol' Murphy,
when she got old and picky, was to drop a couple of pieces of
kibble into her bowl of kibble


You put kibble in her kibble?

At the moment, the problem is the water. Could I just put a teaspoon
of sugar in the water? How will she know when she doesn't even get
close to the water, no closer than the food bowl which is part of the
same double bowl.

after she turned her nose up at
it. Dog candy!

Other low calorie tricks which have worked he water,


Water in the food? I could certainly do that,... except I have been
mixing her Bufferin and her Glucosamine/Condroiten in with her dry
food. She eats it as if it were food. I'm afraid the capsules and
tablets will dissolve in the bowl instead of her stomach?

(Oout of pure curiosity, unrelated to the dog, last year I tested some
of my own capsules -- different drug -- in cold water, and they took a
long time to dissolve, but I haven't tried tablets. I could test one.
Maybe this is not a problem.

pumpkin,


Pumpkin seeds? Canned pumpkin custard?

mushroom stems...


I could get some of those, if she starts avoiding the food again.

Her vet was closed last night, when I posted here, and I was waiting
for your answers, but I'm going to call him soon. Well, I called him
and he's going to call me back.



If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
  #4  
Old April 12th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,732
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

In article ,
mm wrote:
She still hasn't drunk anything, after 30 hours,


Not drinking is a far more serious problem than not
eating. I'd see a vet ASAP and in the meantime try
to figure out how to get some fluids into her. Among
performance dogs it's common to "bait" the water with
something like chicken or beef broth - something to
make it a lot more tempting than just plain old water.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community
  #5  
Old April 13th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,368
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

In article ,
mm wrote:

I would pick her up
but I'm afraid she'll struggle and I'll drop her, and she could hit
the wrought iron railing, or go over the railing all the way to the
main floor. I tried to pull by the collar but she turned around and
went back to my office.


Put her leash on and just go. If you act squirrely, she'll continue to.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
  #6  
Old April 13th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sue and Atty
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 293
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.


"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
...
In article ,
mm wrote:
She still hasn't drunk anything, after 30 hours,


Not drinking is a far more serious problem than not
eating. I'd see a vet ASAP and in the meantime try
to figure out how to get some fluids into her. Among
performance dogs it's common to "bait" the water with
something like chicken or beef broth - something to
make it a lot more tempting than just plain old water.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community


When Atty went through a phase of not drinking, we switched her to canned
food because it had a higher moisture content. However..... with the
issues with canned food lately, I would be very leary and very very
selective in what canned I offered.

Another option was pedialyte (plain - although it's not as balanced to
canines as some of the dog varieties) or both Jadee (my kidney dog) and Atty
liked a product called Rebound (available from a vet) - which is a chicken
(I think?) version and more tailored to canines. Places like PetSmart, etc.
carry a couple of varieties of other electrolyte drinks around here. Of
course, you could always give a dose or 2 of sub-q fluids. A vet can do it,
or show you how.

Sue and Atty


  #7  
Old April 13th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
mm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:48:15 -0400, mm
wrote:

On 12 Apr 2007 16:46:19 GMT, Rocky wrote:

"Spot" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

You might try mixing something good in with the food but
that's no guarantee she will eat.


She finally ate late last night, and again today late morning, after
she went out. In the past she would eat right before she went out,
but I'll settle for after, I guess.

Assuming she'll continue to eat, I continue to have two other problems
remaining.

She still hasn't drunk anything, after 30 hours,


Thanks for all the advice.

I called the vet, as I said I had, and though his office closes at 7,
he didn't get back to me until 7:30. I'm not complaining, just saying
that I guess he has a lot to do after the office closes.

He wasn't too worried, and said if she didn't drink in another 24
hours, or maybe 36, to bring her in.

He said she would drink when she was thirsty (and indeed, it's
probably always been warmer when she's stayed here in the past. It
doesn't even seem to be 68 in here for the last few days, but I don't
bother to check because I expect warm weather any second. And in the
summer I don't use AC, so it probably 80 many of the days she is here.
Maybe that is enough to make a difference.

I also mixed in some water with her dry food tonight, and I think she
licked it all up, but I forgot to look.

He said that Bufferin lasts longer in dogs, so even thought the label
said it was good for 4 hours in adults and children, it was good for
more than that. He said that vets don't suggest the pills given to
the dog more than twice a day. But I don't see how "more than 4
hours" can equal 12 hours. Frankly, I don't believe there is that
much difference between dogs and people, at least as it concerns how
long Bufferin will be effective. Seems to me that if she takes 4
pills a day, they shoudl be better spread out. She should get them at
6 hour intervals, or if everyone works, 9 hours during the day, and 8
or 9 hours at night, and the rest when the first person comes home
from work. But that is not my decision. I'll look into it a little
more -- Any comments? -- and regardless, I'll say something to the
person in the family who is in charge of this (I never got that
straight before, because there never were any issues. For example,
she's only been taking these drugs for about a year, and I think last
time she visited it was only one in the morning and one in the
evening.)

She's 12+ now.

She seemed eager to get up around 7:40, but again hesitated at the top
of the stairs. Turning on the lights helped, but it wasn't dark there
earlier. Maybe she was actually hungry, because she did go downstairs
and she ate, with a little water added. She continues to ignore the
water bowl, in the kitchen and in the upstairs bathroom.

She used to want to go out all the time. Whenever I went to the
kitchen she would go to the door. Now I can get up from my desk and
she doesn't even stand up. I guess she's getting old and that doesn't
bother me except when she doesn't eat or drink (or go out).

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
  #8  
Old April 13th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shadow Walker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 131
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

As dogs get older and they suffer from arthritis it can be extremely painful
to climb up and down stairs. Even pain killer doesn't always help. Eye sight
and hearing as well as her sense of smell could be going. If she's not able
to smell her food it is less interesting than it once was. Also aging causes
them to slow down so if she is not burning carbs she will gain weight and
the cycle continues.

Slowing down also requires less food and less water intake. If she's not
drinking and or eating she will not need to go potty. If she is not panting
she will drink less water. Just leave multiple bowls of fresh water out for
her so you don't have to move the bowls around. As for the going for walks
and not wanting to go back, well her pace is less painful than the one you
want to set for her.

Good luck with her, enjoy her while you have her.

"mm" wrote in message
...
Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

Hi, I've been dogsitting for this dog 5 or 10 years, maybe 2 weeks a
year, or a little more, split into 2, maybe 3 parts, and for the last
year or so, she has gotten less and less "normal"

She used to obey me pretty well when I took her for a walk, but now
sometimes she really fights when I want to go back. She almost never
shows what I would have called real obedience, like I think she used
to. I don't care about that from an emotional pov, but sometimes I
want to go home, or I can't even start to walk her if I don't have
enough time for her prima donna attitude. But that is not the big
problem.

She was here last week for a day and a half, and didn't drink or eat a
thing, afaict, during that time. She went up to look at the food,
once each day, and may have taken a bite each time, but I'm not sure,
and the food level didn't change much. The water level seemed to stay
the same also. The same food and water that she gets at home.

When she didn't drink the water in the kitchen, I moved it upstairs to
the bathroom, where it has been for a few years. But before that it
was in the kitchen, and she drank it and when I moved it to the
bathroom she also didn't complain. I only moved it upstairs so it
would be easier for her to find it in the night. (Do I need to leave
a light on for her to find the water? In the upstairs bathroom, and
what if it is downstairs in the kitchen?)

She's a golden retriever, so when she drinks, it's usually almost a
bowelful.

Finally, just as I was getting ready to take her home last week, she
ate a whole bowl of food. This started as I was going into the fridge
to get the rest of her food to put in the car, but I think she started
eating before she could have figured that out. She might have seen me
pick up her water bowl upstairs, and because that was up already,
there was nothing for her to drink until she got to her home 5 minutes
away, where she promptly drank a whole bowl of water.

That was last Friday. Today is Wednesday, and her family is on
vacation again and she has been here since 10:30 this morning and it
is 8:30 PM now and afaict she hasn't eaten or drunk a thing, and shows
no interest in going out. She ate, and went out twice this morning
before she arrived, but that was 10 hours ago.

Last visit, just last week, once when she heard the door open or shut,
she was at the door and trying to get through my legs to get out.
She'd been walked and I had to leave right away, so I ended up picking
her up by her collar and turning her to face into the house, so I
could escape. She didn't seem angry at me for this, at the time or
when I got home, and she was ready to go out when I was taking her to
the car. But this time I call her, and she doesn't even come to eat.
It's dry food but I would think she could smell it, even when she is
upstairs. After all, I can smell it when I"m pouring it out, in the
kitchen0 So I go upstairs and show her the leash, so there is no
question about what I have in mind.

She'll walk to the top of the stairs, and she used to follow me down
the stairs, but not tonight. When I stood behind her and said Go, she
wouldn't move**. So I went first and she used to follow me, but now
she stood there for a while and then went back to my office where she
spends all her time on the floor.

**That's also been getting worse over the years. IIRC, she would walk
to the stairs and start down. Then she paused at the top, and I would
have to say Go. Then I would have to say Go three times, and now I
can say go over and over and over and she won't go.

This time I was especially in a hurry for her to go out (although it
has been 10 hours since she arrived and she used to be willing to go
out any time I was willing, like every 4 hours.) because a tree fell
on my fence last month, and I haven't had time to repair it well. I
repaired it poorly today, and wanted to see if she would try to make a
break for it at the damaged fence, and if she could knock it down.

Could all of my problems be caused because 2 or 3 years ago, I
replaced the last missing pickets and now I only walk her on a leash
every 2 to 4 days. The rest of the time, I just open the door and let
her do what she wants. I do that about 5 times a day, maybe every 4
hours or so. I was hoping she would claw at the door or bark when she
was ready to come back in. I didn't want to open the door looking for
her, because I thought she would think that meant she HAD to come back
in. At least once she played in the back yard when she was out there,
but I can't see my side yard or even my little front yard, and now
when I open the door she's always there waiting to come in, even after
only 5 minutes.

Her family gives me a couple toys to play with with her or for her to
play with alone, a rope, a tennis ball, a rubber bone, but she's never
been interested in these things at my house. So that doesn't bother
me except that now it looks like the start of some autistic trend at
my house.

She used to get a doggy treat after going out, but they decided she
was over weight, and now I'm supposed to give her salad. In the two
visits last year, sometimes I didn't have any, but I thought she went
out mostly because she had to.

She has to take a Bufferin twice a day, and 2 pills for arthritis
twice a day. I've just mixed them in with the food, and until last
week, she just gobbled it all down. And last week they forgot the
pills so that was not why she wouldn't eat the food.

It was one thing for her to go a day and a half without eating,
butthey won't be back for 4 1/2 days this time.

Help, please.


If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)



  #9  
Old April 13th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

On Apr 13, 12:22 am, "Shadow Walker"
wrote:
As dogs get older and they suffer from arthritis it can be extremely painful
to climb up and down stairs. Even pain killer doesn't always help. Eye sight
and hearing as well as her sense of smell could be going. If she's not able
to smell her food it is less interesting than it once was. Also aging causes
them to slow down so if she is not burning carbs she will gain weight and
the cycle continues.

Slowing down also requires less food and less water intake. If she's not
drinking and or eating she will not need to go potty. If she is not panting
she will drink less water. Just leave multiple bowls of fresh water out for
her so you don't have to move the bowls around. As for the going for walks
and not wanting to go back, well her pace is less painful than the one you
want to set for her.

Good luck with her, enjoy her while you have her.

"mm" wrote in message

...

Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.


Hi, I've been dogsitting for this dog 5 or 10 years, maybe 2 weeks a
year, or a little more, split into 2, maybe 3 parts, and for the last
year or so, she has gotten less and less "normal"


She used to obey me pretty well when I took her for a walk, but now
sometimes she really fights when I want to go back. She almost never
shows what I would have called real obedience, like I think she used
to. I don't care about that from an emotional pov, but sometimes I
want to go home, or I can't even start to walk her if I don't have
enough time for her prima donna attitude. But that is not the big
problem.


She was here last week for a day and a half, and didn't drink or eat a
thing, afaict, during that time. She went up to look at the food,
once each day, and may have taken a bite each time, but I'm not sure,
and the food level didn't change much. The water level seemed to stay
the same also. The same food and water that she gets at home.


When she didn't drink the water in the kitchen, I moved it upstairs to
the bathroom, where it has been for a few years. But before that it
was in the kitchen, and she drank it and when I moved it to the
bathroom she also didn't complain. I only moved it upstairs so it
would be easier for her to find it in the night. (Do I need to leave
a light on for her to find the water? In the upstairs bathroom, and
what if it is downstairs in the kitchen?)


She's a golden retriever, so when she drinks, it's usually almost a
bowelful.


Finally, just as I was getting ready to take her home last week, she
ate a whole bowl of food. This started as I was going into the fridge
to get the rest of her food to put in the car, but I think she started
eating before she could have figured that out. She might have seen me
pick up her water bowl upstairs, and because that was up already,
there was nothing for her to drink until she got to her home 5 minutes
away, where she promptly drank a whole bowl of water.


That was last Friday. Today is Wednesday, and her family is on
vacation again and she has been here since 10:30 this morning and it
is 8:30 PM now and afaict she hasn't eaten or drunk a thing, and shows
no interest in going out. She ate, and went out twice this morning
before she arrived, but that was 10 hours ago.


Last visit, just last week, once when she heard the door open or shut,
she was at the door and trying to get through my legs to get out.
She'd been walked and I had to leave right away, so I ended up picking
her up by her collar and turning her to face into the house, so I
could escape. She didn't seem angry at me for this, at the time or
when I got home, and she was ready to go out when I was taking her to
the car. But this time I call her, and she doesn't even come to eat.
It's dry food but I would think she could smell it, even when she is
upstairs. After all, I can smell it when I"m pouring it out, in the
kitchen0 So I go upstairs and show her the leash, so there is no
question about what I have in mind.


She'll walk to the top of the stairs, and she used to follow me down
the stairs, but not tonight. When I stood behind her and said Go, she
wouldn't move**. So I went first and she used to follow me, but now
she stood there for a while and then went back to my office where she
spends all her time on the floor.


**That's also been getting worse over the years. IIRC, she would walk
to the stairs and start down. Then she paused at the top, and I would
have to say Go. Then I would have to say Go three times, and now I
can say go over and over and over and she won't go.


This time I was especially in a hurry for her to go out (although it
has been 10 hours since she arrived and she used to be willing to go
out any time I was willing, like every 4 hours.) because a tree fell
on my fence last month, and I haven't had time to repair it well. I
repaired it poorly today, and wanted to see if she would try to make a
break for it at the damaged fence, and if she could knock it down.


Could all of my problems be caused because 2 or 3 years ago, I
replaced the last missing pickets and now I only walk her on a leash
every 2 to 4 days. The rest of the time, I just open the door and let
her do what she wants. I do that about 5 times a day, maybe every 4
hours or so. I was hoping she would claw at the door or bark when she
was ready to come back in. I didn't want to open the door looking for
her, because I thought she would think that meant she HAD to come back
in. At least once she played in the back yard when she was out there,
but I can't see my side yard or even my little front yard, and now
when I open the door she's always there waiting to come in, even after
only 5 minutes.


Her family gives me a couple toys to play with with her or for her to
play with alone, a rope, a tennis ball, a rubber bone, but she's never
been interested in these things at my house. So that doesn't bother
me except that now it looks like the start of some autistic trend at
my house.


She used to get a doggy treat after going out, but they decided she
was over weight, and now I'm supposed to give her salad. In the two
visits last year, sometimes I didn't have any, but I thought she went
out mostly because she had to.


She has to take a Bufferin twice a day, and 2 pills for arthritis
twice a day. I've just mixed them in with the food, and until last
week, she just gobbled it all down. And last week they forgot the
pills so that was not why she wouldn't eat the food.


It was one thing for her to go a day and a half without eating,
butthey won't be back for 4 1/2 days this time.


Help, please.


If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)



Does she have stairs in her home? carpeted vs hard wood? Just trying
to figure differences.. Do her nails need to be trimmed? I know my
senior walks differently if his are too long. I've used the canned
pumpkin to give medicine. I have used it like i do peanut butter on a
spoon

  #10  
Old April 14th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 568
Default Dog doesn't want to eat, drink, or go out, when at my house.

"mm" wrote in message
...

Thanks for all the advice.

I called the vet, as I said I had, and though his office closes at 7,
he didn't get back to me until 7:30. I'm not complaining, just saying
that I guess he has a lot to do after the office closes.

He wasn't too worried, and said if she didn't drink in another 24
hours, or maybe 36, to bring her in.

He said she would drink when she was thirsty (and indeed, it's
probably always been warmer when she's stayed here in the past. It
doesn't even seem to be 68 in here for the last few days, but I don't
bother to check because I expect warm weather any second. And in the
summer I don't use AC, so it probably 80 many of the days she is here.
Maybe that is enough to make a difference.

I also mixed in some water with her dry food tonight, and I think she
licked it all up, but I forgot to look.

He said that Bufferin lasts longer in dogs, so even thought the label
said it was good for 4 hours in adults and children, it was good for
more than that. He said that vets don't suggest the pills given to
the dog more than twice a day. But I don't see how "more than 4
hours" can equal 12 hours. Frankly, I don't believe there is that
much difference between dogs and people, at least as it concerns how
long Bufferin will be effective. Seems to me that if she takes 4
pills a day, they shoudl be better spread out. She should get them at
6 hour intervals, or if everyone works, 9 hours during the day, and 8
or 9 hours at night, and the rest when the first person comes home
from work. But that is not my decision. I'll look into it a little
more -- Any comments? -- and regardless, I'll say something to the
person in the family who is in charge of this (I never got that
straight before, because there never were any issues. For example,
she's only been taking these drugs for about a year, and I think last
time she visited it was only one in the morning and one in the
evening.)

She's 12+ now.

She seemed eager to get up around 7:40, but again hesitated at the top
of the stairs. Turning on the lights helped, but it wasn't dark there
earlier. Maybe she was actually hungry, because she did go downstairs
and she ate, with a little water added. She continues to ignore the
water bowl, in the kitchen and in the upstairs bathroom.

She used to want to go out all the time. Whenever I went to the
kitchen she would go to the door. Now I can get up from my desk and
she doesn't even stand up. I guess she's getting old and that doesn't
bother me except when she doesn't eat or drink (or go out).

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)


If she's getting glucosamine chondroitin, there's an implication that her
joints aren't what they were years ago. Maybe it's bothering her to go up
and down stairs now.

As far as the Bufferin, dogs and people do metabolize it differently. I
would stick with the vet's orders on that one, if I were you.

flick 100785


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 20 February 5th 04 03:22 PM
Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 03:33 PM
Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 03:33 PM
Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 03:33 PM
Don't drink the water! Tricia9999 Dog behavior 0 August 5th 03 05:16 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright 2004-2019 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.