Toy Fox Terriers

Old April 18th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
xntrick

Default Toy Fox Terriers

I have done a lot of research on small breed dogs and am focusing in
on the Toy Fox Terrier as the one that is right for our family. I
have only been able to locate 3 breeders in my area and only one has a
puppy available. Does anyone have any more leads on dealers in the
Minnesota/Iowa/Wisconsin or South Dakota area?

Thank you

Old April 18th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
xntrick

On Apr 17, 9:26 pm, Rocky wrote:
xntrick said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Focusing on your statement that you've done a lot of research,
what research have you done?

Thank you for your reply. I have visited the AKC, UKC, Eukanuba,
Westminster & ATFTC websites where I have read up on the breed. I
also found links to the three breeders on the ATFTC website. In
addition, I have exaustively Googled and searched Yahoo! for breeders
in my area. I've even searched the CKC for breeders that might be
close to Minnesota. Do you have any leads for me?

Old April 18th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"xntrick" wrote in message:

I've even searched the CKC for breeders that might be
close to Minnesota.

Continental Kennel Club is a bogus registry that would register just about
anything if someone sent them the money. I'd stay away from so-called
breeders who register with them.

The breed club is generally your best bet on finding breeders, although that
should be the beginning of your research, not the end. Make sure that the
breeder adheres to the code of ethics of the breed club, and does all the
appropriate health/temperament testing for the breed. Also, don't restrict
yourself geographically (the ATFTC lists 3 breeders in Iowa and 3 in
Minnesota), and if the breeders you've contacted don't have a dog for you in
the right time frame (and don't be in a rush to get a pup; most good
breeders plan their breedings well in advance, and don't produce too many
litters, so you may have to wait), ask them if they can recommend someone
else. Most would be happy to do so.

ATFTC also lists their available rescues he
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/to...ierrescue.html

Don't know if the Fox Terrier rescue also handles toys, but here's their
website: http://www.foxterrierrescue.net/adoptables.html

Good luck,
Suja

Suja

Old April 18th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
xntrick

On Apr 17, 9:26 pm, Rocky wrote:
xntrick said in

Focusing on your statement that you've done a lot of research,
what research have you done?

I replied once already and got the message that my reply posted so I
don't know why it's not showing up. I apologize if this comes out
twice.

I searched the AKC, UKC, Westminster, Eukanuba and ATFTC websites for
breed information. Then I got a list of breeders in my area from the
ATFTC website I also searched Google and Yahoo! for more breeder names
unsuccessfully so I've turned to groups hoping to get some referrals.
Do you have any additional information or referrals for me?

Old April 18th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
xntrick

On Apr 18, 10:14 am, Rocky wrote:
xntrick said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Thank you for your reply. I have visited the AKC, UKC,
Eukanuba, Westminster & ATFTC websites where I have read up
on the breed. I also found links to the three breeders on
the ATFTC website. In addition, I have exaustively Googled
and searched Yahoo! for breeders in my area. I've even
searched the CKC for breeders that might be close to
Minnesota.

Other than Winnipeg, Canada is pretty sparse north of
Minnesota, so I don't think you'll have much luck finding Toy
Fox breeders there.

Do you have any leads for me?

No direct leads, but a few hints. Many good breeders don't
have a web presence, so you'll have to attend some shows to
make contacts. (There's a CKC conformation show in Winnipeg
in a couple of weeks, for example.) And be willing to wait
for the right puppy; from starting your search to getting a
puppy, even in common breeds, a year is not out of the
question. Check the AKC and UKC web sites for their shows.

Even if you attend a smaller show where Toy Fox Terriers
aren't represented, make yourself know to terrier folk and
they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Thank you both for your responses!

By CKC I was referring to the Canadian Kennel Club, never heard of the
Continental Kennel Club but I appreciate your comments and will keep
them in mind. I totally understand and am not in a hurry to get a
puppy, I would just like to increase my pool of resources beyond 3
breeders in Minnesota & 3 in Iowa. I'm not really interested in
looking in a much larger area than the surrounding states though
because I would want to see the pup before I decide to purchase it.
I've read on many breeder's websites that they ship dogs but buying a
pup site unseen makes me a bit nervous. Is that a common practice?

Thanks again!

Old April 18th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"xntrick" wrote in message:

I'm not really interested in
looking in a much larger area than the surrounding states though
because I would want to see the pup before I decide to purchase it.

Good, ethical breeders generally choose the right dog from the litter for
the right family; for example, they wouldn't want to place a pushy dog with
a wimpy owner. Given that, you will need to establish a good relationship
with the breeder, one based on trust. If you find a responsible breeder
whose breeding practices you are comfortable with, and establish a
relationship with them, you may find that this particular requirement is not
as set in stone as you might think. After all, you're trusting (okay, with
proof to back up their claims) that they are choosing good, healthy breeding
stock of sound conformation, temperament and health.

I've read on many breeder's websites that they ship dogs but buying a
pup site unseen makes me a bit nervous. Is that a common practice?

I don't know about common, but it is not necessarily unusual. Sometimes,
the best of owners are not local to the breeder, and it is in their best
interest to make sure that the pup goes to the best possible home. Maybe
instead of being shipped, you can take a little vacation to visit the pup's
litter and bring him/her home.

Suja

Old April 18th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Mary Healey

xntrick wrote in news:1176912803.101342.254080
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

...I totally understand and am not in a hurry to get a
puppy, I would just like to increase my pool of resources beyond 3
breeders in Minnesota & 3 in Iowa.

Understandable. Another way to contact breeders/owners is to attend shows
where TFT might be expected to participate (conformation shows, for
example). Get a catalog. Make notes! Most people are happy to talk about
their dogs, as long as they're not preparing to go in the ring.

You didn't mention whether you've owned a TFT before, or how many you've
met / spent time with / lived with / trained. If you've only encountered a
few "in the flesh", and are basing your desire for a TFT on how well they
match your needs in theory, *please* take the time to hunt down a few and
spend enough time with them to know if they're REALLY what you want to live
with.
Old April 18th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lis

On Apr 18, 12:13 pm, xntrick wrote:
On Apr 18, 10:14 am, Rocky wrote:

xntrick said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

[...]

Thanks again!- Hide quoted text -

It's not necessarily a bad thing to buy a puppy from a breeder that
isn't local to you, and people who are seriously into showing have to
ship dogs all the time, so they feel differently about. Also,
responsible breeders will want to match the puppy to the person/
family, rather than have someone who's new to the breed pick the one
they think they like but who might be the wrong personality for that
household. But you do want to know more about the breeder than you can
learn from a website, and a responsible breeder will want to know
quite a bit about you. Plan on taking a trip to visit any breeder that
you're seriously interested in. If they don't want you to come visit,
run away. Run far away.

Another thing that you should do, if at all possible, is go to some
dog shows. Talk to people who own, show, breed Toy Fox Terriers and
similar breeds. The research you've done is a good start, but it's
only a start, and talking to people who know, love, and live with the
breed on a daily basis will tell you things you'll never learn from a
book or a website. It will also get YOU known to breeders, AND you'll
get a feel, from what they say about each other, of who's really a
responsible breeder, has healthy dogs, dogs with good temperaments,
etc. And being known TO them can result in you connecting with a puppy
or young adult who's perfect for your needs that you might not have
been offered otherwise.

Lis

Toy Manchester Terriers ohwell Dog behavior 10 October 26th 04 06:25 PM
Toy Manchester Terriers ohwell Dog behavior 0 October 24th 04 08:07 PM
in Patterdale Terriers Number 9 Dog behavior 19 June 3rd 04 04:24 PM
Rat terriers bmuesli Dog breeds 10 October 16th 03 07:16 PM
bull terriers Elizabeth DeLeo Dog breeds 0 July 10th 03 12:05 AM