OR and MI numbers, ASPCA advisory, no Chinese visas for FDA

Old April 19th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default OR and MI numbers, ASPCA advisory, no Chinese visas for FDA

http://www.oregonvma.org/news/recallcases.asp
April 18, 2007
Of the 118 suspect cases, 43 are dogs and 75 are cats.
Of the 118 suspect cases, at least 45 pets have died:

Michigan State Vet Assn: April 16, 2007 - doc. file at top
http://www.michvma.org/index.cfm?id=278
The following results were reported by these members on animals they have
examined who
have consumed recalled Menu Foods pet food:
114 suspected cases of CATS in various stages of kidney disease
41 suspected cases of DOGS in various stages of kidney disease
35 suspected cases of CATS that have died
17 suspected cases of DOGS that have died

ASPCA issues urgent advisory and admits the #s are more than 16
(They've opened a resource center, but early reports were it was not up to
date on recalls)
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...release_041807
[..]“Until the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has conclusively
identified all the contaminants in the affected pet food, where they came
from, and which products they were used in, we cannot consider this crisis
over,” said Dr. Steven Hansen, a board-certified toxicologist....
[..]
Though the FDA has officially confirmed 16 animal deaths as being linked
conclusively to the recall, unofficial estimates, including by those in the
veterinary community, suggest the number of recall-related deaths may be far
higher, perhaps in the hundreds, or even thousands.

“With the FDA today expanding the recall to include products containing rice
protein concentrate, it is imperative that we stay abreast of recall news,
and remain extremely vigilant to our pets’ wellbeing. If they show any of
the signs generally attributed to kidney failure—or illness in
general—please take them to your veterinarian immediately.”
[..]
- Until we know exactly what is making pets sick, continue to be alert for
early signs of a problem that may be recall-related, such as excessive
thirst, decreased appetite, or vomiting, and take your pet to the
veterinarian immediately. “This is especially important, even if your pet’s
food is not among those that have currently been recalled,” said Dr. Murray.
[..]
- Don’t assume that just because a certain product is still available on a
store shelf, it is safe. Because of the growing number of additional
recalls, store inventory may not reflect the latest recalls. “This is
extremely important,” said Dr. Murray. “As recently as last week, we were
still admitting pets into BMAH that were unwittingly being fed contaminated
products.

Durbin & DeLauro meet with FDA head, China refusing visas to FDA inspectors
http://tinyurl.com/2fkna6

A House Committee is holding a Food Safety hearing next Tuesday (4-24),
dirty bag blamed for rice protein concentrate contamination, and Menu Foods
spokesperson still can't find his papers
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3627652.html

Why we're in this mess - from 1998:
http://www.cspinet.org/new/safoo_7_9.htm

Waggin' Tails letter to a customer listing foods they're going to stock and
why:
http://tinyurl.com/2gqx2u

Also apparently many pet food companies are addressing this latest issue on
their websites. Haven't looked yet, but you should check out your company.

Old April 19th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

buglady wrote:

Durbin & DeLauro meet with FDA head, China refusing visas to FDA inspectors
http://tinyurl.com/2fkna6

Well *that's* interesting!

--
Shelly
Old April 19th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Shelly" wrote in message
et...
://tinyurl.com/2fkna6

Well *that's* interesting!

........I suspect it's a lot like the old USSR days.....nothing wrong,
everything fine, that's a lie. Though I doubt inspecting anything will get
them to how this happened.

Old April 19th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

buglady wrote:

.......I suspect it's a lot like the old USSR days.....nothing wrong,
everything fine, that's a lie.

They've already claimed that, haven't they? So I guess it's not
surprising that they'd not want to be inspected. But it's also kind
of dim of them to think that the problem will just go away if they
tell it to.

Though I doubt inspecting anything will get
them to how this happened.

Maybe not, but sometimes folks who try to cover their tracks forget
things.

In the meantime, I *have* to buy cat and dog food tomorrow, and I'm
stumped. The good news, though, is that I still have a dog and a
cat to buy food for. For that, I'm very thankful.

--
Shelly
Old April 19th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
In the meantime, I *have* to buy cat and dog food tomorrow, and I'm
stumped.

Kibble or wet stuff? Neither Blue Buffalo nor Eagle Pack
Holistic Select contain wheat or rice glutens. There are
others. I bet the people who run your local feed store
know.

Old April 19th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

Melinda Shore wrote:

Kibble or wet stuff?

Kibble. Yeah, even for the old toothless cat. She does not do well
on canned (makes her vomit and turns her hair greasy), though she
gets a small amount of it as a treat.

Neither Blue Buffalo nor Eagle Pack
Holistic Select contain wheat or rice glutens.

Thanks! I'll add them to the list of options.

There are
others. I bet the people who run your local feed store
know.

I bet they do, and that's where I'm heading. It's well worth the
trip across town. I know they carry Innova/Evo/CalNat and Canidae
kibble, which so far seem to be unaffected. I've been feeding Euk
Premium Performance (dog) and some flavor of Iams (cat*), and have
been happy with them, but I'm a little leery. Paranoid might be a
more accurate description. With a 19yo cat, I just don't want to
take chances.

*Pitched the bag as soon as I got the food, which I won't be doing
again!

--
Shelly
Old April 19th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article ,
Shelly wrote:
In the meantime, I *have* to buy cat and dog food tomorrow, and I'm
stumped.

Kibble or wet stuff? Neither Blue Buffalo nor Eagle Pack
Holistic Select contain wheat or rice glutens. There are
others. I bet the people who run your local feed store
know.

Evo doesn't have any grains, does it? I know they make cat food but I
haven't checked to see if they make dog food.

I'm about due to buy some more Canidae. Canidae claims that they are fine
and that they don't buy anything from China but their foods do contain
"rice" - but what does that really mean(?). I want to have faith in them -
since unlike a company the size of Purina they are fatally harmed by putting
out bad food but I wonder if that would make them more likely to hide.
Cynic that I am.

Yes, I have found the people at our local feed store (which isn't all that
local to me) to know off the top of their heads which foods to direct people
to.

Judy

Old April 19th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

"Shelly" wrote in message
et...
Paranoid might be a
more accurate description. With a 19yo cat, I just don't want to take
chances.

My brother - whose cat isn't quite that old - is considering feeding canned
fish until they get it all straightened out.

Judy

Old April 19th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

Judy wrote:

My brother - whose cat isn't quite that old - is considering feeding canned
fish until they get it all straightened out.

I've considered it, and she does get some JackMack, because I buy it
for the dog, but it's awfully high in salt for a regular diet. It
doesn't make her coat oily, though, and it stays put when she eats it.

--
Shelly
Old April 19th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:33:33 GMT, "Judy" wrote:

Evo doesn't have any grains, does it? I know they make cat food but I
haven't checked to see if they make dog food.

There is a grain-free Evo for dogs. I've never fed it so I can't
comment. My cats have done very well on Evo for cats, FWIW.

I'm about due to buy some more Canidae. Canidae claims that they are
fine and that they don't buy anything from China but their foods do
contain "rice" - but what does that really mean(?). I want to have
faith in them - since unlike a company the size of Purina they are
fatally harmed by putting out bad food but I wonder if that would make
them more likely to hide. Cynic that I am.

I would like to believe that rice is safe, as opposed to any kind of
gluten. Since melamine makes the protein content of glutens look higher,
I'm very suspicious that this was done intentionally.

Canidae's statement:

"It appears from the latest news within our industry that all recalls are
from Glutens imported from China, a protein source that is extracted from
Wheat or Rice. The wheat or rice is not the issue, but the glutens
extracted, stored, and then imported from China. Again, CANIDAE does not
use Glutens in any form, and we do not import any ingredients from China
or overseas."

Unless we are going to cook for our pets, we have to trust someone... I
just got my first bag of Canidae 2 days ago.

*sigh*

Yes, I have found the people at our local feed store (which isn't all
that local to me) to know off the top of their heads which foods to
direct people to.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech