Hills tested ingredients

Old April 20th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default Hills tested ingredients

From an email I received (not sure how I got on Hill's mail list to vets,
though). I just noticed this email as it went to my unmonitored email
account:

Dear Valued Partner,

April 18, 2007– Update: Hill’s products not affected by rice protein
concentrate recall.

On April 17 the FDA announced a further pet food recall associated with
melamine contaminant, reportedly from a supplier of rice protein
concentrate. No Hill’s products are affected by this recall.

While Hill’s uses rice protein concentrate in 4 of its products, we do
not use the supplier involved with the recall.

Hill’s has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
present in the rice protein concentrate that it uses.

Q. Do any Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. products contain rice protein
concentrate?
A. Yes. Four Hill’s products contain rice protein concentrate; however,
none contain rice protein concentrate from the supplier associated with
this recent recall.

The four Hill’s products that contain rice protein concentrate AND ARE
NOT affected by recent recall announcements:

Prescription Diet ® z/d® Feline Dry
Prescription Diet ® k/d® Canine canned
Science Diet® Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe Puppy Large Breed
Prescription Diet® h/d® Canine Dry
Hill’s has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
present in the rice protein concentrate used in our products.

Q. How do you know Hill’s rice protein concentrate is safe?
A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another
supplier’s rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have
confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hill’s
suppliers do not contain melamine.

Q. Where does Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
A. Hill’s uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice
protein concentrate recall.

Q. What is rice protein concentrate, and why is it used in pet food?
A. Rice protein concentrate is the product remaining after starch has
been washed away from rice. It is a commonly used protein ingredient in
various pet food products.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 20th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
Q. How do you know Hill’s rice protein concentrate is safe?
A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another
supplier’s rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have
confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hill’s
suppliers do not contain melamine.

...............Can I see the laboratory analysis please?

Q. Where does Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
A. Hill’s uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice
protein concentrate recall.

................but are they Chinese?

If I fed Hills, THOSE would be my questions. So far we have 2 separate
Chinese firms involved, so just saying it isn't THAT supplier does not
inspire confidence. Hey Steve - you reading this?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 20th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:35:30 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

..............Can I see the laboratory analysis please?

Yeah, I refrained from commenting but I didn't get a feeling of confidence
from this statement, either.

...............but are they Chinese?

ding! ding! ding!

Old April 20th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Lynne" wrote in message

..........what's more, the Pet Connection people have hit the nail on the
head.....exactly:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...-naming-names/

.......feel like helping Durbin yet? One of the changes he suggests is
mandatory revelation of companies - no more voluntary recalls.

Old April 20th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:07:37 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

.........what's more, the Pet Connection people have hit the nail on
the head.....exactly:

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...all-naming-nam
es/

The FDA has reached new lows, something I really didn't think was
possible--and that was my opinion even before the pet food crisis.

......feel like helping Durbin yet?

I sure do. I hope others will, too.

Old April 20th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
DebbieS

On Apr 20, 7:35 am, "buglady" wrote:
Hey Steve - you reading this?

Yup, he and Gaubby have been _real quiet during this fiasco.

I hurt my back two years ago, and had to send my board/trains home,
and quit boarding for performance people. I also had to go to kibble,
mostly Canidae, Wellness, and Natural Balance. I bought large bags
for 2 border collies, 2 amstaffs, and my GSD. After about a year of
rotating, I noticed that the Canidae was starting to produce stinky,
voluminous stools and their coats didn't look so great by the time we
got to the end of the bag. Scratch Canidae. We still rotated amongst
the varieties of Wellness and Natural Balance.

Just before the recalls, I bought a bag of Eukanuba Premium
Performance, remembering that Robin N. raved about it. It sat in my
closet, and I bought another bag of Wellness two days later... I just
couldn't open the Euk bag, had a real bad feeling about it. My DH
thought I was nuts.

Now Don thinks I'm psychic. And I'll never, ever feed a commercial
product to my dogs again. My back is better, and Don will just have
to help with the cases of meat. While I don't believe any food source
is 'safe', I think we'll fare much better with food that is produced
and inspect for human consumption.

Debbie
feeling like we've escaped bullets

Old April 20th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in
m:

Q. Where does Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein
concentrate? A. Hill's uses two suppliers, neither of which are
involved in this rice protein concentrate recall.

How wonderfully vague.

Tara
Old April 20th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

DebbieS wrote:
While I don't believe any food source
is 'safe', I think we'll fare much better with food that is produced
and inspect for human consumption.

I'd like to be able to think so... but have you looked closely at
how well our food destined for human consumption is inspected?

Have you read "Fast Food Nation", by Eric Schlosser? It's not
just about fast food chains - it also presents a lot of
information about the sorry state of meat processing, lack of
inspections, domination of the industry by just a few
mega-corporations, the successful lobbying efforts of same. It's
pretty horrifying.

Another food processing development that I find alarming is the
injection of saline solutions into the raw meat that's sold in
grocery stores. I found out about this from a vet tech when one
of my dogs needed to go on a low-salt diet, and mentioned that
I'd be preparing his food. She pointed out that raw chicken
isn't necessarily low in salt, because of what's injected. My
local supermarket carries Tyson, and sure enough, I couldn't find
a single Tyson product that wasn't injected (read the fine print
on the package). As were most of the other meat products in the
case, with the exception of those labeled "organic."

I object to paying several dollars a pound for salt water, but
even more, I object to the meat processors messing with the meat.

Organic, locally produced when I can find it, even at more than
2x the price, is all I buy now. (If I were more evolved, I'd
become a vegetarian, but I'm not there yet!)

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 20th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article 6,
Tara wrote:
Lynne wrote in
om:
Q. Where does Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein
concentrate? A. Hill's uses two suppliers, neither of which are
involved in this rice protein concentrate recall.

How wonderfully vague.

You know that kids' game where you make stuff funny by
adding "in bed? to everything? With this recall I'm
starting to add "yet" to press releases that say
"There's no crap in our crap!"

Old April 20th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

Melinda Shore wrote:

You know that kids' game where you make stuff funny by
adding "in bed? to everything? With this recall I'm
starting to add "yet" to press releases that say
"There's no crap in our crap!"

1:40 to food buying time, and I still can't figure out what the hell
to do. It does not help that it is Friday, so I'm expecting that
there will be another bombshell dropped. I really don't like being
paranoid. It makes me feel sick.

--
Shelly