What is my breed?

Old April 20th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default What is my breed?

We always had dogs when I was a child, and now I've just purchased a
home and finally have the space to have a dog of my own. I have only
begun my search and I was hoping I could get some opinions on the
different breeds I should start looking at. Size, amount of hair, and
so fourth are not a big deal for me. I'm at work five days a week for
eight hours of the day, but I usually, but am not always able to, come
home for lunch. I'm looking for a companion dog that will not try to
eat my cat. I also have a smallish fenced yard (70'x50') and most of
it is a garden, with a lot of plants that I have just recently learned
are poisonous to animals. I am willing to dig up all these plants that
may be a threat, and it is of my highest concern. If my dog needs
walking I will dedicate myself to the task each day. For the most part
he will be inside, although I'm not sure about the situation while I
am gone at work. Is it best to crate him, or can I let him wander
around the house while I'm gone, I'd prefer to let him wander, and
maybe even install a doggie door, once I can take care of the plant
situation outside. Any advice you can give would be much
appreciated...

Thanks,
Dave

Old April 21st 07, 03:22 AM
Chester's Mom Chester's Mom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ

Hi, Dave!

First, I want to stress the fact I am NOT an expert, just a dog lover!

Personally, I've had the best training, companion, love experience with Lab mixes. While you don't know the exact size if you get a mix, I've found that the Lab part gives you the best mix of intelligence, loyalty and affection. Females tend to be smaller than males.

Once they're spayed/neutered, it doesn't seem to matter much in terms of being a "pet", but I've found males are a "little" more apt to try to assert their dominance... even if you've adopted them as pups.

The Lab coat usually has natural lanolin which stays clean and washes easily when you do choose to bathe your doggie if he/she gets dirty. I've also found my Lab mixes have somehow been resistant to flea infestation. I'm not sure if it was the coat or not, but that has been my personal experience.

A hint for pet introduction: If possible, take a towel with you to hold your new pet and let your existing pet smell the towel. Don't wash that towel!!! Take the same towel (with your existing pet's scent) back to your new baby to exchange the scent. It worked when I was bringing home a new kitten (who was too young to bring home) and let my doggie, Chester, get the scent.

If you don't have that luxury, present the pets for the first time to each other butt first. I know it sounds silly, but that's how they check each other out. So do it in a controlled environment. Either hold the puppy to the kitty or vice versa (depending on size, age, etc.)

ALWAYS give the older pet preferencial treatment! Feed them first, let them out first, give them attention first, etc.

Crate training: In my opinion... a MUST for you AND for your puppy! A lot of folks (not usually "dog" people) think it's cruel. Here's how I was advised about it when I thought it was mean:

Dogs are "den" animals.

Put the crate where you want your dog to have a home/safe spot. Make sure if he/she thinks they have "misbehaved" DON'T EVER drag him/her from that spot. I know that's hard, especially if there has been an accident... peeing, pooping, chewing, etc. But they have to have a "safe" spot... so don't violate it.

DON'T feed your dog in the crate. Find a place where you are going to feed him/her regularly and keep it consistant.

A dog won't mess in an area where they sleep. Make sure you get a crate large enough for your new puppy's full size when grown and partition off a section for him/her to turn around and lie down comfortably. (you can use the cardboard box the crate came in!) Allow for further growth! They won't pee/poop where they sleep, so they will learn to control their bladder/bowels.

It's YOUR responsibilty to make sure to see the signs of needing to "go". YOU MUST TAKE THEM OUT OFTEN ENOUGH TO AVOID ACCICENTS!!!

"When?", you say? About 5 to 10 minutes after eating take him/her out to the spot you want them to go "potty" and IMMEDIATELY after playtime.

Another tip from my own experience... use the crate for a LONG time after your puppy is house trained. Your puppy still has "baby teeth" until he/she is about 9 months old. That means they will want to chew EVERYTHING available. Just like a human baby, they teethe. Be sure you supervise (and inspect the teeth!) before leaving your new baby alone in the house.

When you think it's "time", SLOWLY remove the crate. What do I mean?
Well... when you think the time is right, leave the door open. Let your new friend go in when he/she is ready.

When you think they're ready, THEN put in a pillow, towel, etc. to get their scent on that item. Again, this is the "spot" they have come to know and love as "theirs".

I've had crates that were easily disasembled by the top, sides, bottom, etc. so use your judgement.

Yes... this takes time. What do you get???

A well behaved LOVING life long companion you can be proud of. Not only because he/she is SMART, but because YOU did a good job.

My love to you and your new buddy,
Chester's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

__________________
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935
Old April 22nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lis

On Apr 20, 4:57 pm, wrote:
[...]

If you get a puppy, you MUST come home every day at lunch, or have an
ABSOLUTELY reliable backup for the days you can't. A puppy can't stay
that long without pottying, and shouldn't go that long without being
fed and watered. If you can't be certain you can do that, consider
getting an older dog. Shelters, breed rescue organizations, and
responsible breeders will all have older dogs who are house-trained,
whose history with other pets is known (helpful since you have a cat),
and depending on history may already have basic obedience training.
But if you can be certain you can provide for the puppy's midday
needs, puppies can be a lot of fun. A lot of work, but a lot of fun,
and you can train it according to your own needs and wants.

ALL dogs need to be walked. I have a Chinese Crested Powderpuff,
twelve and half pounds sopping wet, and we walk half an hour in the
morning, and half an hour in the evening. Higher-energy dogs need more
than that, some of them lots more. This is why, even though any pet
you interact with regularly is good for your health, dogs have the
biggest effect--because they force you to walk regularly!

Read two books: Daniel Tortura's The Right Dog For You, and Michelle
Welton's Your Purebred Puppy. You want Tortura's questionaire and
Welton's breed descriptions (they're much more current, more
objective, and more complete than Tortura's.) Narrow your choice down
to a few breeds. And then, if at all possible, go to some dog shows.
Talk to people who have the breeds you're interested in. They'll tell
you things you'll never read in books about what these breeds are like
to live with, take care of, etc. Contacting the breed rescue
organizations for the breeds you're interested in is also helpful, and
not just if you decide you want an older dog. They'll be able to tell
you the most common reasons that members of that breed are given up by
their original owners--which could be an important factor in deciding
whether it's really the right breed for you.

Lis