FDA to test human food for melamine

Old April 25th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Default FDA to test human food for melamine

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/24...ine/index.html

"The Food and Drug Administration says it will test ingredients imported for
human consumption in connection with the recall of pet food that has killed at
least 16 pets and perhaps more than 100.

"In addition, the FDA on Tuesday announced plans to expand testing of the animal
food supply after hogs on farms in three states were quarantined after testing
positive for melamine, the toxic substance at the center of the recall."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/24...ine/index.html

The article mentions that the FDA is still reporting only 16 animal deaths in
connection with the contaminated pet food. ONLY 16?

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 25th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick

"FurPaw" wrote in message
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/24...ine/index.html

"The Food and Drug Administration says it will test ingredients imported
for human consumption in connection with the recall of pet food that has
killed at least 16 pets and perhaps more than 100.

"In addition, the FDA on Tuesday announced plans to expand testing of the
animal food supply after hogs on farms in three states were quarantined
after testing positive for melamine, the toxic substance at the center of
the recall."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/24...ine/index.html

The article mentions that the FDA is still reporting only 16 animal deaths
in connection with the contaminated pet food. ONLY 16?

What about chicken feed? Imported ingredients in that?

I don't see how we could manage to never buy groceries, and grow all our own
food. But I'm tempted.

flick 100785

Old April 25th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"flick" wrote in message
What about chicken feed? Imported ingredients in that?

.......I read a bag of chick feed once and the most alarming thing about it
was animal protein. Are they feeding cows to chickens?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 25th 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"FurPaw" wrote in message
The article mentions that the FDA is still reporting only 16 animal deaths

in
connection with the contaminated pet food. ONLY 16?

......yeah, the FDA will never say otherwise, they don't have time at this
point. Who knows how long the AVMA is going to take compiling cases.

Old April 25th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article t,
buglady wrote:
......I read a bag of chick feed once and the most alarming thing about it
was animal protein. Are they feeding cows to chickens?

Yes, and they're feeding cows to cows, cows to sheep, sheep
to sheep, sheep to cows, and so on, which is why they're
concerned about the spread of "mad cow" disease. Food
production really is a scandal.

Old April 25th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

"buglady" wrote in
k.net:

"flick" wrote in message
What about chicken feed? Imported ingredients in that?

......I read a bag of chick feed once and the most alarming thing
about it was animal protein. Are they feeding cows to chickens?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Have you ever read any of the books by this lady? http://eatwild.com/

She wrote a book advocating grassfed only meats, and goes into what the
feed lot industry feeds their "product". They did a widespread (and very
expensive) study to determine how high a percentage of the feed lot
cows' doet could be *gum wrappers* before it had a negative impact on
output.

Gum wrappers.

They funded an actual study on this. So they could feed the maximum
amount of *Gum Wrappers* to cattle....you know, to save on the cost of
all that expensive rendered discarded animal parts they feed them.

Feed lot farming is THE reason I became a vegetarian 22 years ago. I
wish I could better wrap my brane around eating meat again, because if I
could find it appealing, I would *totally* buy grass fed meats. Those
guys need more support, and its a *part* of the life system, rather than
an abuse of it.

End of rant.

Tara
Old April 25th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:
"The Food and Drug Administration says it will test
ingredients imported for human consumption in connection
with the recall of pet food that has killed at least 16
pets and perhaps more than 100.

A little more background:
SHANGHAI -- Something was wrong with the babies. The
villagers noticed their heads were growing abnormally
large while the rest of their bodies were skin and
bones. By the time Chinese authorities discovered the
culprit -- severe malnutrition from fake milk powder --
13 had died.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Old April 25th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article t,
buglady wrote:
......I read a bag of chick feed once and the most alarming thing about

it
was animal protein. Are they feeding cows to chickens?

Yes, and they're feeding cows to cows,

..........that one I think NO. It's the only one we're regulating due to
BSE.

Old April 25th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

Barton quoted here is Joe Barton (R) TX, ex officio member of O&I
subcommittee
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...od_safety.html

The suspicion of international contamination is eerily similar to past
incidents in China," Barton said. "A dozen years ago, 89 children in Haiti
died after taking cough medicine made with, believe it or not, poisonous
antifreeze that was traced back to China. The world never got an answer from
the Chinese on how this crime occurred.

"In an investigation started in 1998 when I was the chairman of this
subcommittee, we found that 155 Americans were sickened by impure gentamicin
sulfate made by a Chinese firm," Barton continued. "We never got a
definitive answer on how this unapproved, impure drug ingredient got into
that particular product."

The poisoning of thousands of pets with dangerous food imported from China
demonstrates how easily terrorists could kill Americans by poisoning food
imported through a porous food inspection network.

........Gee ya think? And still this isn't front page news........hmmmmmmm

Old April 25th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article t,
buglady wrote:
.......Gee ya think? And still this isn't front page news........hmmmmmmm

Well, at least maybe this will motivate a few more people to
vote. (And eat fewer prepared foods and plant more
gardens).