Coyotes and dogs

Old April 27th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tom[_2_]

Default Coyotes and dogs

I live in an area where there are coyotes. They are most active, I've
read, in the springtime when pups are born. One neighbor recently had
his small dog taken from his back yard. The yard backs up to a hilly
area so it was a matter of the critter getting over the fence and
taking the "small" dog. I also saw one in the street in the dark
early morning when I was leaving for work. I've been told many
stories about how big a dog a coyote will attack, how high of a fence
they can get over, etc. Wondering if anyone has any accounts about
this subject. I leave my dog outside during the day. She is a young
adult, part lab and part pit bull, about 55 lbs. Curious if there is
anything to worry about. Thanks.

Old April 27th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Tom wrote:
I live in an area where there are coyotes. They are most active, I've
read, in the springtime when pups are born. One neighbor recently had
his small dog taken from his back yard. The yard backs up to a hilly
area so it was a matter of the critter getting over the fence and
taking the "small" dog. I also saw one in the street in the dark
early morning when I was leaving for work. I've been told many
stories about how big a dog a coyote will attack, how high of a fence
they can get over, etc. Wondering if anyone has any accounts about
this subject. I leave my dog outside during the day. She is a young
adult, part lab and part pit bull, about 55 lbs. Curious if there is
anything to worry about. Thanks.

We've seen coyotes in our area twice in the past couple of weeks.
Two were walking down the middle of the street in front of our
house one night, and one was about 100 feet ahead of us on a
walking trail that passes about 1/4 mile away from our house -
this was about 10 AM. It trotted along the trail for about 200
feet, then turned off and headed into a ravine.

We're concerned, too, that one could get over our chain-link
fence, so we don't let our chihuahua out unsupervised any more.

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 27th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Tom wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any accounts about
this subject. I leave my dog outside during the day. She is a young
adult, part lab and part pit bull, about 55 lbs. Curious if there is
anything to worry about. Thanks.

Leaving a dog outdoors unattended all day is risky for a lot of
reasons. Most coyotes won't be active during daylight, but the ones
that are, are likely to be sick.

I've had some close encounters with coyotes. My experience was that
they were more active in my area in the fall and winter months, not
spring. I assume that's because local coyotes follow the deer, and
the deer have a general migration pattern within the different
sections of the state forest.

A coyote can clear a 4' fence with no problem, and a determined
coyote will be able to scale a 6' fence. I would not assume that a
normal fence is sufficient to keep them out.

As for how big a dog coyotes will attack, that depends. The coyotes
in my area live in packs. This is not universal--it depends on the
type and quantity of food available to them. In many areas, they
are solitary animals. IME packs of coyotes are not shy about going
after large dogs, or even multiple large dogs.

--
Shelly
Old April 27th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article .com,
Tom wrote:

Wondering if anyone has any accounts about
this subject. I leave my dog outside during the day. She is a young
adult, part lab and part pit bull, about 55 lbs. Curious if there is
anything to worry about. Thanks.

Yes, and not just from coyotes.

--
Janet Boss
Old April 27th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Apr 26, 10:21 pm, Tom wrote:
I live in an area where there are coyotes. They are most active, I've
read, in the springtime when pups are born. One neighbor recently had
his small dog taken from his back yard. The yard backs up to a hilly
area so it was a matter of the critter getting over the fence and
taking the "small" dog. I also saw one in the street in the dark
early morning when I was leaving for work. I've been told many
stories about how big a dog a coyote will attack, how high of a fence
they can get over, etc. Wondering if anyone has any accounts about
this subject. I leave my dog outside during the day. She is a young
adult, part lab and part pit bull, about 55 lbs. Curious if there is
anything to worry about. Thanks.

I read a news article once where animal control cornered a coyote and
it jumped the 8 foot wall they had cornered it with. So I wouldn't
trust any fence to keep a coyote outside.

I worry about my cairn terrier with the coyotes in my area but we
don't let him out unsupervised. I don't worry about them with my 72
lb bully/mastiff mix, with the amazing feats I've seen him do, a
solitary coyote wouldn't be a problem. He still doesn't go out
unsupervised though, that is just a general rule in my house.
Luckily, I've never seen one around yard, but I have seen them while
walking in the fields behind my house, somewhere I've got some
pictures I took with the digital camera. Other than that, the only
ones I have seen were dead by the side of the road. I do have friends
that lost a cat to a coyote though, so it does happen around me.

Nick

Old April 27th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"
wrote in
oups.com:

I don't worry about them with my 72
lb bully/mastiff mix, with the amazing feats I've seen him do, a
solitary coyote wouldn't be a problem.

Just for what it's worth, not all coyotes are solitary. Their
social structure is based on habitat and food sources. If they
live where small game predominates, they are likely to be solitary,
but if large game predominates, they tend to live in packs.

--
Shelly

Harriet Brown wears a man's felt hat that she bought in Spain
Harriet Brown, what a lovely name, such a lovely face.
-- Opal, Harriet Brown
Old April 27th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
Just for what it's worth, not all coyotes are solitary.

There's also the question of rabies.

Old April 27th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Apr 27, 10:25 am, Shelly wrote:

Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

Harriet Brown wears a man's felt hat that she bought in Spain
Harriet Brown, what a lovely name, such a lovely face.
-- Opal, Harriet Brown

Which I am aware of, but they are solitary where I live.

Nick

Old April 27th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Apr 27, 11:31 am, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,

Shelly wrote:
Just for what it's worth, not all coyotes are solitary.

There's also the question of rabies.

Is that not why rabies vaccines are given to dogs? Not saying I want
my dogs to be exposed to rabies, or a coyote for that matter, but I
certainly do not have to be paranoid that it could happen. If for
some reason a coyote decided he was going to try and make a meal out
of my dog, which is far larger than any coyote that lives in my area I
feel that my dog is more than suited to take care of himself. That
isn't saying that I wouldn't be retrieving a gun to help him out, but
I certainly do not have to be paranoid about it. I am outside with my
dogs at all times, so it wouldn't happen without me being aware of it.

Nick