agility question

Old April 28th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

Default agility question

I was talking to a friend today about agility and the various venues. She
mentioned that supposedly NADAC was falling apart. Since I'm not training a
dog in agility at the moment I thought I would ask if this is at all true.
It would be a shame because if I ever bother to run Star in agility I think
NADAC courses would be more his style.

Beth

Old April 28th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

bethgsd wrote:
I was talking to a friend today about agility and the various venues. She
mentioned that supposedly NADAC was falling apart. Since I'm not training a
dog in agility at the moment I thought I would ask if this is at all true.
It would be a shame because if I ever bother to run Star in agility I think
NADAC courses would be more his style.

Hmmm. I don't think so. Now I think NADAC has absolutely suffered since
splitting from ASCA. And Sharon seems to be on yet another "let's add
new rules!" kicks with the addition of Even! More! Classes! But no, I do
not think it's falling apart per se.

I don't think NADAC is ever again, at this point, going to be a true
major player on the agility scene. And I know NADAC people are going to
scream at me over that, but there are too many other venues out there,
and a lot of people just get tired of the ever-changing landscape that
is NADAC. AKC and USDAA are, and for the forseeable future will continue
to be, the big dogs on the block, with AKC being the biggest.

In a coincidence, I went to my first ASCA agiligy trial today and we had
a great time. Cala did not Q but as usual left her indelible impression
on the crowds. We had some super Matt McCarter courses (he's also a
NADAC judge of course) and we got to do real, true Gamblers again! That
I loved. I really had to think and strategize how I was going to do my
course. It was so nice to actually be trusted to know how I could best
run my own dog.

Old April 29th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:
Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We had some super Matt McCarter courses (he's also a
NADAC judge of course) and we got to do real, true Gamblers
again! That I loved. I really had to think and strategize
how I was going to do my course. It was so nice to actually
be trusted to know how I could best run my own dog.

Ditto!!

I love Gamblers (ran a nice one today in AAC - didn't Q though
it was doable but difficult).

This one was interesting. There was a tunnel and a dogwalk facing the
first jump, so that if you did either one it would seem like it would be
a good lead in to the gamble. But I don't think anyone to tried using
either was successful. The 2nd jump of the gamble was to the left and
pretty far out there, and somehow going straight out from Tunnel/dogwalk
made the dogs want to loop straight back to the handler. I tried to
bring Cala across the ring and across the faces of the DW/Tunnel, but
that didn't work either, and she's a good distance dog.

In trying to plan our opening strategy I realized how rusty my skills
there really are. It's been three years since NADAC eliminated the gamble.

I might give ASCA a try. I'm
also considering a USDAA trial coming up, though I'm not sure
about Friday (probably) jumping 26" at 6 years old - I'll have
to look into their various height classifications.

You can do Performance and jump a lower height. 22" I think? I'm not a
USDAA expert. I have never done USDAA because I don't like the jump
heights but more importantly, I don't like the equipment specs for the
big dogs. You can still have sharp-sided slats as far as I know, and the
tire is only 18" in diameter. Weaves can be spaced as close as 18" and
that's very narrow for my big dogs, who do best on 21" or 22" spacing.

I did a fun match once but that's it.
Old April 29th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message
bethgsd wrote:
I was talking to a friend today about agility and the various venues.
She mentioned that supposedly NADAC was falling apart. Since I'm not
training a dog in agility at the moment I thought I would ask if this is
at all true.
It would be a shame because if I ever bother to run Star in agility I
think NADAC courses would be more his style.

Hmmm. I don't think so. Now I think NADAC has absolutely suffered since
splitting from ASCA. And Sharon seems to be on yet another "let's add new
rules!" kicks with the addition of Even! More! Classes! But no, I do not
think it's falling apart per se.

I just had an email from a friend that used to adore doing NADAC. She
said that Sharon has gotten to the point of changing rules every week it
seemed

I don't think NADAC is ever again, at this point, going to be a true major
player on the agility scene. And I know NADAC people are going to scream
at me over that, but there are too many other venues out there, and a lot
of people just get tired of the ever-changing landscape that is NADAC. AKC
and USDAA are, and for the forseeable future will continue to be, the big
dogs on the block, with AKC being the biggest.

Basically same thing that the email said. She said there is no challenge
left in NADAC, that the handler doesn't have to worry about approaches,
etc 'cause all you have to do is run straight on.