OT - googling for barometric pressure

Old April 29th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default OT - googling for barometric pressure

I'm counting on y'all to be better googlers than I am and to give me
some help. I'm looking for a weather site where I can type in my zip
code and get a history of the barometric pressure over the past day or
so, plus maybe a prediction of what the pressure will be. It's easy
enough to find that for the temperature; I want it for the pressure. I
can find the current pressure easily. I want a web page that will keep
track of it for me, instead of making me check hourly, and chart it for
me so I don't have to do that myself.

(I have health symptoms that I'm pretty sure are related to swings in
pressure but want data to back it up. Right now I think I'm in pain
when a low pressure front comes through, except sometimes pain is
associated with high pressure. Hard to say.)

--Lia

Old April 29th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
I'm counting on y'all to be better googlers than I am and to give me
some help. I'm looking for a weather site where I can type in my zip
code and get a history of the barometric pressure over the past day or
so, plus maybe a prediction of what the pressure will be.

Weather Underground (wunderground.com). Look for local
stations.

Old April 29th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Melinda Shore wrote:

Weather Underground (wunderground.com). Look for local
stations.

That was fast. Thanks! The funny thing (embarrassing) is that I'd
gotten there before, gotten as far as the personal weather stations, but
hadn't realized they had what I was looking for at historical data &
charts. I hadn't clicked there, but there it is, graph form and
everything. Thanks.

--Lia

Old April 29th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
I hadn't clicked there, but there it is, graph form and
everything.

NOAA and the National Weather Service will tend to have
unbelievable amounts of historical data available, but just
what and where and how to get at it varies by region.

Between my Active Outdoor Lifestyle and the fact that I'm
really just a huge nerd, I tend to be kind of a weather
geek. I have a weather station, myself (although it's not
online) and my watch has a barometer. If you're interested
in the weather the "real" blogs at wunderground.com are
really fascinating. The local blogs are ghastly ("it rained
today"), but hey, at least their owners love them.

Old April 29th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Melinda Shore wrote:

NOAA and the National Weather Service will tend to have
unbelievable amounts of historical data available, but just
what and where and how to get at it varies by region.

Between my Active Outdoor Lifestyle and the fact that I'm
really just a huge nerd, I tend to be kind of a weather
geek. I have a weather station, myself (although it's not
online) and my watch has a barometer. If you're interested
in the weather the "real" blogs at wunderground.com are
really fascinating. The local blogs are ghastly ("it rained
today"), but hey, at least their owners love them.

So let's say I wanted to find out the pressure on April 15,16, 17, this
year, a time when I was in a lot of pain. How would I find that?

Or if I wanted to buy a barometer for my bedroom or on my watch, where
would I get one, and how much would it cost?

(It may turn out that there's no connection between the pressure and my
episodes with pain, but I'm interested in exploring the possibility.
Makes me feel more in control of it somehow.)

--Lia

Old April 29th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
So let's say I wanted to find out the pressure on April 15,16, 17, this
year, a time when I was in a lot of pain. How would I find that?

I'd poke around noaa.gov and weather.gov - find whatever
office covers your area and see what data they've got
online. Also, if a nearby university has a meteorological
program they've probably got climate data online, too.

Or if I wanted to buy a barometer for my bedroom or on my watch, where
would I get one, and how much would it cost?

You can get very snazzy home weather stations from around
$350 on up. Less snazzy ones (from La Crosse or Oregon
Scientific) can run under $100. Try weatherbuffs.com.

For watches with barometers and whatnot, nearly any outdoor
outfitter should have something. Campmor usually has one or
two on sale in their "Hot Deals" section - for example,
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...rId=1250022 6
I've found mine to be pretty accurate.

Old April 29th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Melinda Shore wrote:

For watches with barometers and whatnot, nearly any outdoor
outfitter should have something. Campmor usually has one or
two on sale in their "Hot Deals" section - for example,
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...rId=1250022 6
I've found mine to be pretty accurate.

Cool. Maybe that's all I need. Thanks again.

--Lia

Old April 29th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Julia Altshuler wrote:

So let's say I wanted to find out the pressure on April 15,16, 17, this
year, a time when I was in a lot of pain. How would I find that?

Poke around on the local station(s) for your zip code on
wunderground.com. The software they use varies, but you should
be able to find a history on at least one of them.

I find mine by going to wunderground.com and entering my zip code
at the top of the screen. On the next screen, under the small
local radar screen, scroll down to Personal Weather Stations,
click there and you should get a list of those that are available
for your area.

On the one I view most often, just above the temperature etc.
graphs I can select the day, month and year, and the page that
comes up contains a table with temperature, BP, wind speed, etc.
recorded every five minutes. Just poke around on the web page,
and you'll probably find more history than you want.

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 30th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

FurPaw wrote:

I find mine by going to wunderground.com and entering my zip code at the
top of the screen. On the next screen, under the small local radar
screen, scroll down to Personal Weather Stations, click there and you
should get a list of those that are available for your area.

On the one I view most often, just above the temperature etc. graphs I
can select the day, month and year, and the page that comes up contains
a table with temperature, BP, wind speed, etc. recorded every five
minutes. Just poke around on the web page, and you'll probably find
more history than you want.

This is good information. As it turns out, I didn't need help googling
so much as I needed help using the webpages I'd already found. Thanks.
I'm going to spend some time, as you say, poking, to see if I can
figure out some patterns.

--Lia

Old April 30th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article 2007043008212816807-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:

Millions of arthritis sufferers will attest to the fact that there is a
correlation between barometric pressure changes and joint pain.

You bet! My knees warned me of impending storms last week.

--
Janet Boss