Animal Feed producers in China admit adding melamine

Old April 29th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Animal Feed producers in China admit adding melamine

An article posted by the Intern'l Herald Tribune disappeared off the net,
but not before someone captured it. Don't know if this is the entire
article.

http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/
[..]
But the leftover melamine scrap, small acorn-sized chunks of white rock, is
then being sold to local entrepreneurs, who say they secretly mix a powdered
form of the scrap into animal feed to artificially enhance the protein
level.
[..]
The man - who works in a small animal feed operation that consists of a
handful of storage and mixing areas - said he has mixed melamine into animal
feed for years.

He said he was not currently using melamine, which is actually made from
urea. But he then pulled out a plastic bag containing what he said was
melamine powder and said he could dye it any color.

Asked whether he could create an animal feed and melamine brew, he said yes,
he has access to huge supplies of melamine. Using melamine-spiked pet food
ingredient was not a problem, he said, even thought the product would be
weak in protein.

"Pets are not like pigs or chickens," he said casually, explaining that
cheating them on protein won't matter. "They don't need to grow fast."

Old April 29th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

buglady wrote:
[...]

Ay, chihuahua! Kudos to kim for copying it before it
disappeared. There's more on the petfoodtracker link that you
gave (http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/), but you captured the
worst of it... mixed melamine into animal feed for
years...cheating them on protein won't matter...

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 30th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
Ay, chihuahua! Kudos to kim for copying it before it
disappeared. There's more on the petfoodtracker link that you
gave (http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/), but you captured the
worst of it... mixed melamine into animal feed for
years...cheating them on protein won't matter...

.........Yeah, there's more, that's what the {..} are for! And someone
posted the whole article in the comment section of itchmo. Best run over
there and get a copy.
........One can only hope that relations with China would be strained over
this. Olympics coming and all.

Old April 30th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article . net,
buglady wrote:
.......One can only hope that relations with China would be strained over
this.

No more than they currently are over intellectual property
theft. We don't have a lot of latitude with China, in any
event - we owe them way too much money. We allowed them to
go ahead and test shooting down a satellite (and yes, we
knew about it in advance) - do you really think that the US
government is going to kick up more of a fuss over this?

Vote. Vote, vote, vote.

Old April 30th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 29 Apr 2007 19:41:17 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

In article . net,
buglady wrote:
.......One can only hope that relations with China would be strained over
this.

No more than they currently are over intellectual property
theft. We don't have a lot of latitude with China, in any
event - we owe them way too much money. We allowed them to
go ahead and test shooting down a satellite (and yes, we
knew about it in advance) - do you really think that the US
government is going to kick up more of a fuss over this?

Vote. Vote, vote, vote.

Yeah, vote for the dumb schmucks who actually *gave* the Chinese the
keys to our missile secrets, and who even took *money* from the
Chinese *government* just to get elected!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...4/143258.shtml
http://www.greaterthings.com/News/Cl...html#Chinagate

The Clintons!

Freakin' maroons.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

"Ni**er
Can you kill
Can you kill
Can a ni**er kill
Can a ni**er kill a honkie
Can a ni**er kill the Man
Can you kill ni**er
Huh? Ni**er can you
kill
Do you know how to draw blood
Can you poison
Can you stab-a-Jew
Can you kill huh? Ni**er
Can you kill
Can you run a protestant down with your
Ď68 El Dorado
(thatís all theyíre good for anyway)
Can you kill
Can you **** on a blond head
Can you cut it off
Can you kill
A ni**er can die
We ainít got to prove we can die
We got to prove we can kill"
Nikki Giovanni, Virginia Tech
Old April 30th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
FurPaw

Default Animal Feed producers in China admit adding melamine - new linkon IHT

This link gets now you to the story on International Herald Tribune:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/...ess/30food.php

It is now on the FRONT PAGE of the 4-30 on-line edition.

AND it is the lead story in the NEW YORK TIMES on-line edition
(at the moment):
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/bu...30food.html?hp

FurPaw

Old April 30th 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Melinda Shore

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:
This link gets now you to the story on International Herald Tribune:

AND it is the lead story in the NEW YORK TIMES on-line edition
(at the moment):

The IHT carries stories from the NY Times and the Washington
Post, and if you're trying to find stories from it you can
also check the latter two.

Also, I really like both news.google.com and news.yahoo.com
when I'm trying to find a news item.

Old April 30th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
This link gets now you to the story on International Herald Tribune:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/...ess/30food.php

Other story from S. AFrica:

http://tinyurl.com/yscv22
[..]
"The chemical plant next to us used the melamine scrap as waste for landfill
and built houses on it. Then they tore down the buildings to get the scrap
once the price rose," said a manager with Tai'an Yongfeng Feedmill in the
coastal province of Shandong.

"It is a very popular business here. I know people have been mixing this
since 1991."
[..]
"For every percent of protein you gain, you can make 55 yuan. So if you can
turn 38 percent protein soymeal into 43 percent meal, you can make more than
200 yuan per tonne," said the manager.

"Feed mills usually have poor equipment and they cannot detect the chemical
through tests, not even the big mills."

"Fake" soymeal products were widely sold in Hebei and Shandong provinces,
the manager said.
[..]

Old April 30th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
FurPaw

Melinda Shore wrote:

Also, I really like both news.google.com and news.yahoo.com
when I'm trying to find a news item.

Yep - that's how I found the NYT article - I was looking last
night to see if anyone had picked up the story that seemed to
have been dropped by IHT earlier yesterday.

FurPaw

Old April 30th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Tara

"buglady" wrote in
ink.net:

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

This TOTALLY sucks. And, nfortunately isn't the least surprising.

But doesn't it beg the question, then *what* exactly was causing the
acute kidney problems, and even deaths, of all the animals that
triggered the first rounds of recalls? Tghere HAD to have been a spike
in illness, or they never would have started the recall.

From this, it looks like this has been going on for so long that I'm
wondering what *else* was in that food that caused the acute problems.

Tara