Fetching toys

Old May 3rd 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

Default Fetching toys

How do I get my puppy to fetch a ball and frizbe and bring it back to
me?

Old May 3rd 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

frog wrote:
How do I get my puppy to fetch a ball and frizbe and bring it back to
me?

Start with basic obedience.
I like to recommend clicker training, though there are many methods and
it's a matter of choosing the ones that you think will work best for
your dog.
Chasing a ball in the house and bringing it back to you is a great
behavior to shape with a clicker. I've done it with my dog, and we
still have fun with the game when weather keeps us from getting exercise
outside.
I've never made the transition from getting a ball in the house to
chasing a frisbee outside, but the principles are the same.
Google on clicker training. I think you might enjoy it.
(To be perfectly honest, I'm a 47 year old adult who has never learned
to throw a frisbee. That's something I should do before I die.)

--Lia

Old May 3rd 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
frog

On May 3, 3:37 pm, Julia Altshuler wrote:
frog wrote:
[...]

What brand of clicker is the best?

Old May 3rd 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

frog wrote:

What brand of clicker is the best?

Well, they make diamond encrusted ones. Those are probably the best
quality overall, but you ought to be able to make do with a bottle cap.
I wouldn't expect the same results, though.

--Lia

Old May 3rd 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
frog wrote:

What brand of clicker is the best?

Snapple

--
Janet Boss
Old May 7th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kimber

Below are the instructions from a book that came free in the mail with a
clicker and a small frisbee. I would think you could use the same
principles with a ball. These instructions assume that your dog already
knows the command "here" so that he/she will return to you after
catching the toy. Good luck!

1. Sit on the floor with your dog in a quiet room and play with the
disc. Tease him with it, then offer it to him. It helps to have a dab of
peanut butter on it initially. Roll the disc from hand to hand. Play
“keep-away” with him. Make the disc seem like the cat’s meow.
2. Now, with clicker and treats at hand, roll the disc at him and say
“catch!” If he grabs it, click, reward, and praise. Work on this for a
minute, then stop while he is still excited.
3. Next, try rolling the disc down a hallway, then saying “fetch!” If he
chases it, click and praise, then happily say “here!” while displaying a
treat. At this stage you are bridging from “catch” to “fetch.” When you
say “here,” get low and be happy!
4. Once he’ll chase the rolling disc and bring it back, try tossing it
to him from a few feet away. If he catches it, click, praise, then call
him. Take the disc and give him a treat. Work this until he can reliably
catch it and bring it over. Remember—short, fun sessions!
5. Now to the heart of it: In a large room or garage, have the dog sit
beside you. Show him the disc (with some peanut butter on it), tease him
a bit, then toss it up and out, just a foot or two above and in front of
him. (Try to loft it up so that he can easily catch it; you’ll have to
experiment with the right positioning and techniques.) Simultaneously
say “fetch!” If you’re lucky, he’ll jump out and catch it. If he does,
click, praise, get down low with a treat, then excitedly say “here!”
When he comes over with the disc, celebrate!
6. Now move to a quiet fenced yard or tennis court. Loft it up close,
and click if he catches it. Lengthen the distance, and be sure to toss
the disc in just the right way. If he catches it and runs off, you may
need to attach a retractable lead or length of rope to him to guarantee
that he’ll return each time. The Flying Disc Fetch won’t mean much
unless he returns!
7. If you trust your dog to come back reliably when called, move to the
park. Start with short throws and use any available breezes to keep the
disc hovering. Toss it into the wind to improve his chances of grabbing
it. Be sure to get down low, happily call him ovef and remember to have
short sessions that end while his motor is still happily humming!
8. If you want to advance even further, purchase a full-size,
dog-friendly throwing disc; they fly farther, higher and slower. You
might even check out local canine disc competitions. Who knows? He could
even bring home a trophy!