ASPCA urges vigilence/treatment suggestions

Old May 4th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

Default ASPCA urges vigilence/treatment suggestions

I can't help wanting to scream a little when I read about them urging
continued vigilence as I was just thinking today, I don't want to be doing
this any more......and to wonder if Dr. Hansen has ever called a pet food
company (and not identified himself as a vet) and tried to pry the *source*
of an ingredient past the clenched lips of the company. In fact I may just
email him and ask him that. Maybe he needs to get on the phone and get a
reality check. And maybe he needs to understand that *sourced* doesn't
quite cut it. The questions should be, where is the product grown and where
is it manufactured.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...press_050307_2
[..]
“Given the fact that there is new evidence of cross-contamination in
ingredients that may have been considered safe prior to this news, we need
to be much more aware of where the ingredients in our pets’ food are coming
from,” said Dr. Steven Hansen,
[..]
“We are strongly recommending that pet parents immediately investigate, via
their pet food manufacturer’s Web site or by calling them directly, where
the ingredients—specifically protein supplements—are sourced from.”

Given the current situation and until this crisis is resolved, the ASPCA is
recommending pets be fed products containing U. S.-sourced protein
supplements only.
[..]
This also explains why animals whose symptoms were detected early enough,
and who were rushed to their veterinarians and put on aggressive fluid
therapy—as the ASPCA has been recommending—survived; since this treatment
may help to prevent additional crystals from forming, and aid in flushing
out the existing crystals from the animals’ urinary tracts, thus relieving
the obstruction and reversing the effects of renal failure.

“Patience is the key,” said Dr. Murray, who has successfully treated several
animals thus-affected with aggressive fluid therapy at BMAH. “We now
understand that we have to bathe these crystals in fluid for as long as
possible.
[..]

Oh and the FDA had a press conference today and said.......not much, though
the total number of calls received is now 17,000 and they said 50% claimed
death of a pet. Live blogged by www.itchmo.com and www.petconnection.com
Apparently this will be a Tu and Th event. Keep an eye out for a hearing by
the O & I subcommittee of the House - they'd invited the FDA.

buglady
take out the dog before replying