A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

HELP PLEASE!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 5th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cindy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default HELP PLEASE!

The vet gave my silky terrier a antibotic today called VEDCO-
ClindaCure.
Well the receptionist printed out on the box to adminster 20 MG twice
a day until gone. It seem like alot so I gave her about 17 MG, its a
liquid form. Then I find a leflet in the pagkage saying to administer
1-6mL/10lbs body wight every 12 hours and she weighs 9.5lbs.

Did I give her too much? Please help as Ive never seen this kind of
anitbotic befor and dont know what to do and cant get hold of a vet.

  #2  
Old May 5th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,609
Default HELP PLEASE!

on Sat, 05 May 2007 01:41:24 GMT, Cindy wrote:

The vet gave my silky terrier a antibotic today called VEDCO-
ClindaCure.
Well the receptionist printed out on the box to adminster 20 MG twice
a day until gone. It seem like alot so I gave her about 17 MG, its a
liquid form. Then I find a leflet in the pagkage saying to administer
1-6mL/10lbs body wight every 12 hours and she weighs 9.5lbs.

Did I give her too much? Please help as Ive never seen this kind of
anitbotic befor and dont know what to do and cant get hold of a vet.


How much did you actually give her--how did you measure it? Did you give
20 ml or 20 mg? The medicine should be specified in mg/ml, so 20 mg
would have to be calculated based on how much is in a ml. The doctor's
office should have done that calculation and given you dosing
instructions in ml based on her body weight. If you gave 20 ml, you need
to call the emergency vet and ask what to do in the event of overdose.

Don't panic, though, antibiotic overdoses generally cause stomach upset
but aren't fatal. Sometimes doctors prescribe double dosing for the
initial dose, so you're probably okay, but you definitely still need to
check.

First thing to figure out is how much you really gave her, 20 ml or 20
mg.

--
Lynne


"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
  #3  
Old May 5th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cindy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default HELP PLEASE!

On May 4, 8:56 pm, Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 05 May 2007 01:41:24 GMT, Cindy wrote:

The vet gave my silky terrier a antibotic today called VEDCO-
ClindaCure.
Well the receptionist printed out on the box to adminster 20 MG twice
a day until gone. It seem like alot so I gave her about 17 MG, its a
liquid form. Then I find a leflet in the pagkage saying to administer
1-6mL/10lbs body wight every 12 hours and she weighs 9.5lbs.


Did I give her too much? Please help as Ive never seen this kind of
anitbotic befor and dont know what to do and cant get hold of a vet.


How much did you actually give her--how did you measure it? Did you give
20 ml or 20 mg? The medicine should be specified in mg/ml, so 20 mg
would have to be calculated based on how much is in a ml. The doctor's
office should have done that calculation and given you dosing
instructions in ml based on her body weight. If you gave 20 ml, you need
to call the emergency vet and ask what to do in the event of overdose.

Don't panic, though, antibiotic overdoses generally cause stomach upset
but aren't fatal. Sometimes doctors prescribe double dosing for the
initial dose, so you're probably okay, but you definitely still need to
check.

First thing to figure out is how much you really gave her, 20 ml or 20
mg.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech


Hi thanks for your reply..I gave her about 17 MG is mg les than ml?

  #4  
Old May 5th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 863
Default HELP PLEASE!


"Cindy" wrote in message
ups.com...
The vet gave my silky terrier a antibotic today called VEDCO-
ClindaCure.


...........what's she getting an antibiotic for? Is she really ill? If not,
just discontinue use until you can call vet tomorrow am and recheck the
dosage.

buglady
take out the dog before replying


  #5  
Old May 5th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,609
Default HELP PLEASE!

on Sat, 05 May 2007 02:01:42 GMT, Cindy wrote:

Hi thanks for your reply..I gave her about 17 MG is mg les than ml?


How did you measure 17 mg? I'm confused how you are measuring 17 mg if
it's a liquid. Liquid would be measured in ml. MG have to be calculated
based on the mg/ml in the medicine.

--
Lynne


"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
  #6  
Old May 5th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cindy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default HELP PLEASE!

On May 4, 9:38 pm, Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 05 May 2007 02:01:42 GMT, Cindy wrote:

Hi thanks for your reply..I gave her about 17 MG is mg les than ml?


How did you measure 17 mg? I'm confused how you are measuring 17 mg if
it's a liquid. Liquid would be measured in ml. MG have to be calculated
based on the mg/ml in the medicine.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech


Well its a dropper and the dropper has printed on it 12.5 mg clure up
to 25 mg. It doesnt say ml at all. Dont understand it myself. So I
gave her 17 mg. Then on the leflet it says to give 1 to 6 ml per
10lbs of body weight. Is 20mg equal to 6 ml?

  #7  
Old May 5th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,609
Default HELP PLEASE!

on Sat, 05 May 2007 02:51:49 GMT, Cindy wrote:

Well its a dropper and the dropper has printed on it 12.5 mg clure up
to 25 mg. It doesnt say ml at all. Dont understand it myself. So I
gave her 17 mg. Then on the leflet it says to give 1 to 6 ml per
10lbs of body weight.


Did the dropper come with the medicine?

Is 20mg equal to 6 ml?


If the dropper came with the medicine and there are 3.33 mg/ml, then
there would be 20 mg in 6 ml of medicine. What does the label say is the
strength of the antibiotic? Somewhere on the label or on the insert it
should say xx mg/ml.

6 ml, by the way, would be just more than a teaspoon. Is that about how
much you gave?

--
Lynne


"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
  #8  
Old May 5th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,609
Default HELP PLEASE!

on Sat, 05 May 2007 03:57:38 GMT, "Sharon Too"
wrote:

The dropper has markings for two separate doses: 12.5mg and 25mg.

http://tinyurl.com/2okzo4

Click on the picture to enlarge it.

"CANINE SERUM LEVELS: Therapeutically effective serum levels of
clindamycin hydrochloride can be maintained by oral dosing at the rate
of 2.5 mg/lb. every 12 hours."

For a 10 pound dog, 25 mg is standard. As long as you dosed by
measuring once to the 25mg mar on the dropper, you are fine.


HA! And there is the simple answer. It finally occured to me that the
dropper may have come with the medicine and might be marked in mg.

--
Lynne


"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
  #9  
Old May 5th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cindy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default HELP PLEASE!

On May 4, 10:02 pm, Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 05 May 2007 03:57:38 GMT, "Sharon Too"

wrote:
The dropper has markings for two separate doses: 12.5mg and 25mg.


http://tinyurl.com/2okzo4


Click on the picture to enlarge it.


"CANINE SERUM LEVELS: Therapeutically effective serum levels of
clindamycin hydrochloride can be maintained by oral dosing at the rate
of 2.5 mg/lb. every 12 hours."


For a 10 pound dog, 25 mg is standard. As long as you dosed by
measuring once to the 25mg mar on the dropper, you are fine.


HA! And there is the simple answer. It finally occured to me that the
dropper may have come with the medicine and might be marked in mg.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech


Thanks so much! I can go to sleep now knowing my baby is ok

  #10  
Old May 5th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,609
Default HELP PLEASE!

on Sat, 05 May 2007 03:08:22 GMT, Cindy wrote:

Thanks so much! I can go to sleep now knowing my baby is ok


Me, too!

--
Lynne


"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright 2004-2019 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.