When the time is right?

Old May 8th 07, 10:51 PM posted to free.uk.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.misc,uk.rec.pets.misc
Paul[_3_]

Default When the time is right?

Hi all,

I have a 15 and half year old English Cocker Spaniel who is now getting old
and tired. During her life she has had little in the way of health problems
but over the last two years in particular has slowed down to a point where
she spends the majority of her time sleeping and only wanders as far as the
back garden. She now poo's and wee's in the house which we have learned to
cope with (Vax is very useful!) and will walk around in circles and not be
so interested in contact and been with us. Due to the leaking if is often
necessary to bath her once a day to avoid her smelling too much, we intend
to replace all the carpet once she is no longer with us.

We can no longer leave her with friends/neighbors for the day and it would
now be difficult for us to take her away in the caravan so this year we have
made no plans to go anywhere as we need to stay with her.

I will be devastated when she finally goes, she is my first and only dog and
has been a real friend to me and I will find it so difficult if I have to
make a decision at some point to have her put down.

I guess what I am asking here is am I doing the right thing at the moment, I
do not know what her quality of life is and I suppose I just want to think
its ok and let things carry on for now. It's easy for me to get emotional
over this and a number of years ago I found this poem which I have kept the
link to that brings tears to my eyes every time I look at it
http://www.la-spca.org/pet_loss/comfort/last_battle.htm

I happen to be a 43 year old bloke with a wife and two young children but
when my dog is finally put to rest it is going to be very difficult.

Paul

Old May 9th 07, 08:33 AM posted to free.uk.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.misc,uk.rec.pets.misc
Simon Finnigan

"Paul" wrote in message
I guess what I am asking here is am I doing the right thing at the moment,
do not know what her quality of life is and I suppose I just want to think
its ok and let things carry on for now. It's easy for me to get emotional
over this and a number of years ago I found this poem which I have kept
the
link to that brings tears to my eyes every time I look at it
http://www.la-spca.org/pet_loss/comfort/last_battle.htm

I happen to be a 43 year old bloke with a wife and two young children but
when my dog is finally put to rest it is going to be very difficult.

Hi Paul,
ultimately I`d say that the person best placed to make this decision is
you - you see her every day, you know how she`s been through her life and
you`ll be the best person to see what her quality of life is really like -
you`ve just got to be honest with yourself. I think we`ve all been there,
trying to leave the decision for another day.

As for being a 43 year old bloke - it really doesn`t matter. When it comes
down to things like this, everyone is the same, we all get hurt. But in the
long run, if you`ve done it for the right reasons, you will come to accept
that in time.

Old May 27th 07, 10:41 PM posted to free.uk.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.misc,uk.rec.pets.misc
ForeverArsenal

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a 15 and half year old English Cocker Spaniel who is now getting
old
and tired.

Hi Pual
I know just how you feel,have been there twice in the last 22 yrs.

1 dog 5 dogs, get no easier afraid,we now have a third dog
a Golden Retreaver,each time we've said never again.

But the love they give just can't be got any where else.

You know your dog best of all, it's now a one way road.

Your dog will feel no pain and it's over for her in seconds.

It's been of great help to myself and Wife that each time we've
had to vet out to to house and had them put to sleep in their normal
surrounding,and they don't get stressed.

I've then buried them in the garden what little we have of one,but
we still feel they are with us.

The one thing you can't do is to let suffer to much pain by trying
to hang to her ,she's been to good for that.

You've now got tears in my eyes,
Very best wishes.
Baz

Paul

Old June 15th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Paul[_3_]

Thanks all for your comments..

Things have moved on slightly now and I think having visited the vet that
today Sandy will go to sleep for the last time. Her quality of life is not
what it was, she does not go out for walks, she doesn't play ball and she is
not interested in cuddles, everything she does seems such an effort.

She finds it difficult to get up, in particular her back legs are week to
the point where I have seen her sat in her own mess as she was unable to get
up to go.

I hear her whimper at times and know it is either through pain distress

It is still very difficult, she seems to enjoy her food but finds it
difficult to eat... I hope I am doing the right thing but something inside
me this time is saying "let her go"

I feel this is going to be the worst day of my life.

Paul

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

About time that I do this Just Mel Dog behavior 0 December 25th 06 02:34 AM
3rd dog time Janet B Dog breeds 9 December 20th 05 12:27 PM
One more time... Judy Dog behavior 11 November 9th 05 12:52 PM
best time to get second dog MauiJNP Dog activities 6 November 30th 04 05:14 AM
it's that time again... culprit Dog behavior 8 October 11th 04 10:30 PM