Blue Doberman, skin problems

Old May 11th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
R D S

Default Blue Doberman, skin problems

HOWEDY, sorry, only joking.

We have a blue Dobermann, 2 years old.
Her skin is very spotty and flaky and it appears her blue fur has gone, she
is quite sparse.

We have tried special sebum shampoo at great expense from the vet but it
made no difference.
She is currently on James Wellbeloved food as it purports to have no
impurities, in case her condition was allergic.
We have tried baby oil and tea tree in the past, nothing has made any
notable improvement.

She is in no discomfort and doesn't scratch so any remedy would be mainly
cosmetic. Has anyone any idea for other things to try?

TIA,

Rick Sanderson.
Darwen
Lancashire
UK

Old May 11th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
R D S wrote:
We have a blue Dobermann, 2 years old.
Her skin is very spotty and flaky and it appears her blue fur has gone, she
is quite sparse.

Is there a pattern to it (i.e. is the hair loss concentrated
in a particular area or areas), or is it evenly distributed
all over? What tests has your vet done?

Hair loss and skin changes are frequently associated with
endocrine problems, but it tends to be concentrated on the
flanks at first and will tend to be accompanied by slackness
through the belly. Dobermans are among the breeds more
likely to be affected by hypothyroidism. Which isn't to say
that you're looking at an endocrine problem, but that you
may want to have it checked out.

Old May 11th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
R D S

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article ,
R D S wrote:
We have a blue Dobermann, 2 years old.
Her skin is very spotty and flaky and it appears her blue fur has gone,
she
is quite sparse.

Is there a pattern to it (i.e. is the hair loss concentrated
in a particular area or areas), or is it evenly distributed
all over? What tests has your vet done?

Pretty sure it is this,
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=413
I can't remember what the vet has done, I will have to ask the significant
other.

I was hoping somebody might have an idea of something we can rub on her to
stop the lumps and bumps.

Old May 11th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : "R D S"
whittled the following words:

HOWEDY, sorry, only joking.

We have a blue Dobermann, 2 years old.
Her skin is very spotty and flaky and it appears her blue fur has
gone, she is quite sparse.

Isn't this a common problem that goes hand in hand with Blue Dobermans and
something that could be anticipated?
I don't know how to treat it, but I am pretty sure that's why they are a
"Rare" color... because of the problems associated with them, people
generally avoid them.
Old May 11th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
R D S

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : "R D S"
whittled the following words:

HOWEDY, sorry, only joking.

We have a blue Dobermann, 2 years old.
Her skin is very spotty and flaky and it appears her blue fur has
gone, she is quite sparse.

Isn't this a common problem that goes hand in hand with Blue Dobermans and
something that could be anticipated?
I don't know how to treat it, but I am pretty sure that's why they are a
"Rare" color... because of the problems associated with them, people
generally avoid them.

We especially wanted one.
I wanted a Dobermann, the GF wanted a Wiemeraner (sp?) so it seemed like a
compromise, maybe we should have done more research.

That said the dog is happy and we enjoy having her so I suppose it is a
result.

Old May 12th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

She is in no discomfort and doesn't scratch so any remedy would be mainly
cosmetic. Has anyone any idea for other things to try?

Your blue doberman has a condition called Color Dilution Alopecia (CDA).

CDA is found in blue dogs of many breeds. It's a defect in the
production of melanin in the hairshaft. Melanocytes are the color cells
in the hairshaft, and in blue dogs with CDA, those melanocites clump up
instead of being distributed evenly. Because of those clumps, the
hairshaft is brittle and breaks off evenly.

There really is no cure to this condition, and your dog will continue to
lose hair throughout her life. Her hairloss seems a bit early and
severe, and you mention lumps and bumps. You will need to bathe her
quite often in a gentle shampoo to keep the follicules clean, as she may
have a case of folliculitis caused by the CDA.

You can have her thyroid tested to see if she is low (hypo) thyroid.
However, hypothyroidism does not cause CDA, nor does supplementing for
low thyroid cure CDA.

The good news is that CDA is not associated with any other major health
issues beyond the skin and pattern baldness. Your dog can still lead a
long happy life.

This page has some ideas for care and supplements for the blue doberman
with CDA.

http://www.seattle-attorney.com/storm/sup.html

Skin Problems, plz help. Frank C. Dog health 12 October 22nd 06 04:17 AM
Skin Problems Deborah Pace About this forum 0 October 20th 06 05:59 PM
skin problems [email protected] Dog health 2 October 4th 05 11:42 AM
Skin problems Suja Dog health 2 August 25th 03 03:14 PM
Skin problems Suja Dog health 0 August 25th 03 03:05 PM