Hair loss

Old May 16th 07, 05:01 PM
Ron Malmstrom Ron Malmstrom is offline
Junior Member

Default Hair loss

I have a 4 year old Great Pyrennes mix. He is starting to lose his hair in spots and down his legs. Two months ago another dog of mine had the same hair loss and the vet told me it was cancer and I had to put him down. I am not a vet but I know that cancer is not contages. It is not mange, he has been tested for it. We live in the country and I am wondering if it is something the farmers have put down on the ground.

Thanks
Old May 16th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

Ron Malmstrom wrote:
I have a 4 year old Great Pyrennes mix. He is starting to lose his hair
in spots and down his legs. Two months ago another dog of mine had the
same hair loss and the vet told me it was cancer and I had to put him
down. I am not a vet but I know that cancer is not contages.

Well, some cancers are caused by viruses, but I doubt that's what
happened to your dog. How did the doctor diagnose your dog's
cancer? Do you remember what kind of cancer it was?

It is not
mange, he has been tested for it. We live in the country and I am
wondering if it is something the farmers have put down on the ground.

There are a lot of diseases that cause hair loss, ranging from
endocrine disorders to parasites. It's impossible for anyone here
to guess which one might be the cause, but with more information,
someone might be able to give you an idea of things you can research.

Have you tried posting your question on alt.med.veterinary?

--
Shelly
Old May 17th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

I have a 4 year old Great Pyrennes mix. He is starting to lose his hair
in spots and down his legs. Two months ago another dog of mine had the
same hair loss and the vet told me it was cancer and I had to put him
down. I am not a vet but I know that cancer is not contages. It is not
mange, he has been tested for it. We live in the country and I am
wondering if it is something the farmers have put down on the ground.

Shelly had good advice.

Bilateral hair loss *could* be indicative of diseases such as Follicular
Dysplasia, canine autoimmune thyroid disease, Cushings disease etc. It
could be environmental. There are just so many possibilities that we could
direct you to research, but unfortunatelyy not a diagnosis. Like Shelly
said, more information and post at alt.med.veterinary may help.