7 year old chihuahua mix with a pimple on her head

Old May 21st 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default 7 year old chihuahua mix with a pimple on her head

Hi! My little dog has a very strange growth on the top her head. It
started out like a small hard mass, no bigger that a centimeter.
About 3 months later it developed a scab. One day I accidentally
picked off the scab while trying to get a better look at what my
husband and I thought was a dog wart. It oozed a yellow puss and then
started to bleed... we cleaned it with some alcohol and left it
alone. This happened again today (about 2 weeks later) , the scab
fell off and it started oozzing some puss- not all that much... but
enough for me to be worried. I tried to get it all out, cleaned it
with some alcohol and Kaya looks fine (minus the hole in her head the
size of a pin that's bleeding alittle and inflamed). Has anyone had
any experience with this?? I'd like to avoid a costly visit to the
Vet.

THANKS!!!!!

Old May 22nd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Hi! My little dog has a very strange growth on the top her head. It
started out like a small hard mass, no bigger that a centimeter.
About 3 months later it developed a scab. One day I accidentally
picked off the scab while trying to get a better look at what my
husband and I thought was a dog wart. It oozed a yellow puss and then
started to bleed... we cleaned it with some alcohol and left it
alone. This happened again today (about 2 weeks later) , the scab
fell off and it started oozzing some puss- not all that much... but
enough for me to be worried. I tried to get it all out, cleaned it
with some alcohol and Kaya looks fine (minus the hole in her head the
size of a pin that's bleeding alittle and inflamed). Has anyone had
any experience with this?? I'd like to avoid a costly visit to the
Vet.

Sounds like a cyst of some sort. Some, like the sebaceous variety, can
re-occur. But with the pus involved and obvious lack of 'cure', it's
something a vet best look at. Sometimes these things can be a hint of
something bigger going on.

Old May 22nd 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article .com,
wrote:

I'd like to avoid a costly visit to the
Vet.

Oh darn - that's too bad, because it's pretty irresponsible to not have
a growth checked out.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old May 24th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On May 22, 7:04 am, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
I'd like to avoid a costly visit to the
Vet.

Oh darn - that's too bad, because it's pretty irresponsible to not have
a growth checked out.

--
Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet, I posted on this forum for advice. Not to be harrassed by some
strange lady selling puppy training classes. If you are here to
participate in the discussion pls constructively discuss the issue.
If you are here to promote your business and make money at least try
to be courteous to people using the board for its true and intended
purpose.

Old May 24th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Oh darn - that's too bad, because it's pretty irresponsible to not have
a growth checked out.

Janet, I posted on this forum for advice. Not to be harrassed by some
strange lady selling puppy training classes. If you are here to
participate in the discussion pls constructively discuss the issue.
If you are here to promote your business and make money at least try
to be courteous to people using the board for its true and intended
purpose.

Her comment to have the growth checked out is not a promotion to her dog
obedience website. One does not equal the other. And if a growth on your dog
concerns you enough to ask total strangers on a newsgroup (not a board) for
suggestions without considering a professional hands-on diagnosis, consider
yourself fair game.

-Sharon

Old May 24th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Personally, though, when it comes to lumps (especially first
time lumps) on my dogs, I consider the $60 for a hands-on exam
to be well spent.

And depending on the area, $60 for an exam is steep. Our exam fee is $36.
Peace of mind, or diagnosis and treatment of a serious condition is money
well spent.

However, that said, some pet owners do have financial issues that can't be
planned for. So your advice to at least call the vet is at least a prompt
and free beginning to a solution. I'll add to that, that if the OP does have
financial considerations, he/she can take the time while talking to the vet
to explain that budget is a consideration and he/she would appreciate
knowing what the options were. Some vets offer financing to established
clients, others hold checks, some refer to other vets that are better suited
to help. At least there should be options given from least expensive (but
less likely to get full picture or treatment) to the "cadillac" full work up
and treatment with best chance of outcome.

-Sharon

Old May 24th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article .com,
wrote:
Janet, I posted on this forum for advice. Not to be harrassed by some
strange lady selling puppy training classes.

A couple of things:

1) She did not try to sell you puppy classes,
2) if that was your idea of harassment [note spelling],
well, WTF?, and
3) I'm genuinely unclear on why you wouldn't want to take
your dog to the vet for something as potentially serious
as a lump, bump, or growth.

Old May 24th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

Rocky wrote:

Personally, though, when it comes to lumps (especially first
time lumps) on my dogs, I consider the $60 for a hands-on exam
to be well spent.

Amen. As the owner of a lumpy dog, I wouldn't dream of not getting
new lumps checked out, nor would I dream of asking a bunch of
strangers who I don't know, and who have never laid eyes on my dog,
to diagnose my dog's lumps. And certainly, I wouldn't do so in lieu
of a visit to the vet. Good grief!

--
Shelly
Old May 24th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

diddy wrote:
Adding Sig lines is not
peddling for business.

Actually, some newsgroups do consider that including a commercial
website in a signature is a subtle form of selling product. Some
are very vigilant (with good reason) about trying to keep the
spammers out of the group. It's a kind of local culture thing -
if a culture in a newsgroup can be "local." (Odd concept, that.)

Not saying that Janet is spamming here, only establishing
credibility. Sig line websites that spam are usually associated
with people who "drop in" to a newsgroup to sell product, not so
much with long-established participants (IME), and particularly
not with those whose goods or services can only be delivered in a
restricted geographical area.

And I will add my agreement with those who advise that the OP
should get her dog's growth examined by a vet. It her
description, it sounds rather nasty, possibly painful, possibly
cancerous.

FurPaw
--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.