Deputy Shoots Family Dog in Elkhart Indiana

Old May 23rd 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
diddy

Default Deputy Shoots Family Dog in Elkhart Indiana

This is from a Police Rag.
"http://familybadge.org/screenprint.cfm?newsletterid=18447" If this were
from a newspaper, I'd say there was a lot of misinformation, and not both
sides of the story being told. But this is POLICE info. It sounds like a
cop that couldn't be bothered to step around a confined dog. This is
outrageous.

Deputy Shoots Family Pet

Lauren Leamanczyk
ELKHORN, IN - A Walworth County family is fuming. They say a sheriff's
deputy shot their dog for no reason.

Baby, a black German Shepherd, was the Casciaro family pet for the last 10
years.

The shooting happened May 11, while Jenell Casciaro was getting her kids
ready for school. "We heard the dog bark twice, heard a yelp and then we
opened the front door and she was bleeding all over the place," Jenell
recalls.

According to Casciaro, the deputy told her he shot the German Shepherd
because he feared the dog was about to attack him. The dog was chained up
in the yard at the time.

Then Jenell says the deputy barged into her home demanding to know where a
person named "Elizabeth" was. Jenell says she doesn't know anyone by that
name.

Eventually, the deputy took her son to school, while Jenell took Baby to
the vet. But the dog had to put it down because the gunshot injuries were
too severe.

Since then, Jenell she's gotten no answers from the Walworth County
Sheriff's Department about the incident. "I don’t even know why, at that
point, he was in my yard," she told TODAY'S TMJ4 reporter Lauren
Leamanczyk.

The Sheriff's Department would not say why they were at the house, except
to say they had a dog complaint in the area. They deny looking for a person
named "Elizabeth" but say they won't release any additional information.

Walworth Sheriff David Graves would only say, "The officer was legally on
the property when the incident happened and we're investigating the rest of
the incident."

Jenell Casciaro and her family won't be satisfied until they have more
answers about their dog's death. "I would like an apology from the Walworth
County Sheriff’s Department. I would like them to pay the medical bill for
the dog. I would like to know why he was in my house, in my yard," she
said.

A captain at the Sheriff's Department said they'll release the information
once they've completed their internal investigation.