crystals in a dog's bladder

Old May 26th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
kayla

Default crystals in a dog's bladder

My friend's dog just had surgery for crystals in her bladder. I have
never heard of this condition and am curious if anybody in this group
is familiar with this.

Lori
Old May 26th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lars Eighner

In our last episode, , the
lovely and talented kayla broadcast on rec.pets.dogs.health:

My friend's dog just had surgery for crystals in her bladder. I have
never heard of this condition and am curious if anybody in this group
is familiar with this.

Yes. The world-beloved late Lizbeth suffered from this condition several
times. Her symptoms, however, were so distressing that she was treated
before a stage requiring surgery was reached. The symptoms were frequent,
but not very productive urination and blood in the urine. The treatment was
urine-acidifying medication, urine-acidifying diet (from a company that now
--- twenty years later --- had products implicated in the melamine recall),
and in one case antibiotics for urinary tract infection (although whether
this was prophylactic or an infection was actually proven, I do not now
recall --- they did run culture, I just do not recall whether they were
positive). After this first happened, we were constantly vigilant for
recurrence, after the second or third occurrence, the urine-acidifying diet
was recommended and strict adherence to it seem to prevent it. There seemed
to be a difference of opinion among vets about what constituted a
urine-acidifying diet, but the Science Diet urine acidifying kibble seemed
to do it for Lizbeth. Since then I have noticed several not-so-boutique
brands that claim to be urine acidifying, but have no experience with them.

--
Lars Eighner http://larseighner.com/ http://myspace.com/larseighner
Countdown: 605 days to go.
Old May 26th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:19:48 -0400, kayla afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote:

My friend's dog just had surgery for crystals in her bladder. I have
never heard of this condition and am curious if anybody in this group
is familiar with this.

I think these are called struvites.
http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/clinp...d/struvite.htm

Here is an informative site:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...er_stones.html

_______________________________
"Some people learn something new
every day, others just get 24 hours older."
Old May 30th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
kayla

Thanks for your replies and I have passed them on to my friend. I
have also done the research and learned by it.

Lori

On Fri, 25 May 2007 22:19:48 -0400, kayla afwt_hotmail.com@ wrote:

My friend's dog just had surgery for crystals in her bladder. I have
never heard of this condition and am curious if anybody in this group
is familiar with this.

Lori

Max's Urine Clear of Crystals! Marshall Dermer Dog health 10 March 1st 04 01:26 PM
Urinary Crystals Stephen Rabinowitz Dog health 10 October 14th 03 05:00 PM
Urinary Crystals Stephen Rabinowitz Dog health 0 October 13th 03 08:55 PM
Struvite Crystals Ebthtr Dog health 0 July 16th 03 02:43 AM
Struvite Crystals Ebthtr Dog health 3 July 16th 03 12:41 AM