fear of men

Old May 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kimber

Default fear of men

My dog is obviously more cautious around men than women, but she does
warm up to them after she determines they're friendly. I don't think she
was ever abused by a man, but she grew up the first 5 years of her life
being only in the company of a single woman. Anyway, my dog loves my
husband to pieces when we're both home. He pets and holds her and talks
to her in a sweet voice all the time. And she loves it of course. When
he comes home, she runs to the door to greet him and is very excited
he's home. But as soon as I leave the house, she's terrified of him! She
even submissive urinates if he tries to approach her, which she never
ever does when I'm around. We've read all about submissive urination and
he knows not to bend over her, but he can't even get within 5 feet of
her when they're alone together. What should we do?

Thanks!
Amy

Old May 27th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:31:31 -0700, Kimber
wrote:

He pets and holds her and talks
to her in a sweet voice all the time. And she loves it of course. When
he comes home, she runs to the door to greet him and is very excited
he's home. But as soon as I leave the house, she's terrified of him! She
even submissive urinates if he tries to approach her,

First, I think y'all should consult with a good trainer. Your husband
should work with the trainer and the dog, to build your dog's
confidence and to build a good relationship between the two of them.

In the meantime, I think your husband should stop confronting the dog.
When he arrives home, he should ignore her. Her being very excited at
his arrival is not a good thing! You want to do what you can to make
interactions between the two of them low key and non-stressful, and
that includes good stress, at least for now.

I also think he should knock off the kissy hugging cuddling stuff,
until the dog's confidence has improved. Let the dog come to him, and
while he should obviously be nice to her, he shouldn't go overboard
with the emotive stuff. Low-key is best.

For now, when he is alone with her, he should just ignore her.
Seriously.

--
Shelly
http://cat-sidh.net (the Mothership)