Nursing Yellow Lab

Old May 31st 07, 04:10 AM
catmnstr catmnstr is offline
Junior Member

Default Nursing Yellow Lab

Hi,

My yellow lab had a litter of puppies 5 weeks ago yesterday. Tonight when we got home from work she was fine. Playing, eating, drinking, acting normal. About an hour later we noticed she was walking with her tail between her legs and her back legs seemed to be stiff. I felt her breasts and they were very full of milk and extremely hard. We noticed a few days ago she wasn't wanting to nurse her puppies and acted as if it was hurting (which I dont blame her, they have teeth!) lol. Anyway we were told to start feeding the puppies "puppy mush" and to slowly increase the amount we give them, which we have done. My dog seems to be in pain because she cant get rid of the milk, refused to allow the puppies to nurse. She seems to be having trouble laying down as if it's too painful. She did eat her supper and has been drinking plenty of water.

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this and if so what was the problem and what do we do? IS there a way we can help her to stop producing milk?

Thanks

Cat
Old May 31st 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cindy

--
catmnstr

You better take her to the vet, could be serious especially if she is
in pain. Could be anything.

Old May 31st 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On 31 May 2007 00:19:36 -0700, Cindy wrote:

[...]

Like mastitis, for example. Call the vet immediately.

Mustang Sally

Old June 1st 07, 03:45 AM
catmnstr catmnstr is offline
Junior Member

thank you all for your reply. She was 100% better this morning, but we took her to the vet this morning to be safe. She didnt have an infection but vet said the puppies had just made her so raw and sore that she didnt want to nurse them because it was too painful. Vet gave her some medication help dry her up since puppies will be six weeks old next Tuesday and are already eating dry food they should be fun. She was hard because she was full of milk but wouldnt nurse either...so the vet helped her release some of that pressure and told me if it happens again to just put hot packs on her to help her. Tonight she was running and playing ate all her food so she seems to be ok. Again she gave my quite a scare last night s thank you all for responding

[...]

catmnstr[/i][/color]

You better take her to the vet, could be serious especially if she is
in pain. Could be anything.[/i][/color]

Like mastitis, for example. Call the vet immediately.

Mustang Sally[/quote]