travel to Greece with dog in car

Old June 1st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jane

Default travel to Greece with dog in car

Well we have our dogs pet passport sorted and off we go to greece
in August. Usually we would travel over April and come back Nov,
so the weather would be cooler.

My question, what can I do to make sure my dog does not suffer
too much from the heat while travelling. We do have air
conditioning (Range Rover - I mention this as she will be in the
rear boot area and not right near to the air con vents). I think
the car will cool all through but obviously the sun pouring
through the windows, I hope!, might make it hotter.

Should we have a draught blowing on her from an open window too,
or should she be OK if the car is cool? Should she have water
more often than once or twice during a 350 mile trip (average
each day).

Not so bothered when we get to our Greek home as it is on the
coast, has air con and nice cold tiled floors just for her !
Thanks for any info.

Jane
Old June 1st 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Jane wrote:
[...]

How often do you give yourselves water? Do you only stop once or
twice during a 350 mile trip? I'd suggest that you offer your
dog water and a walk at least every two hours; that will benefit
the other passengers and the driver as well (summer or winter).

How hot will it get in the back? If your dog is panting and
you're comfortable, that's a sign that it's too hot. It sounds
like you have some reason to believe that the air circulation
won't be sufficient. You could check into a battery-operated fan
to blow air from the front to the back; mounting one on top of
the rear seat might be tricky, but I'm sure you could rig up
something that would work for the trip.

If a fan doesn't work, you can always wet the dog down every hour
or so and let evaporation do the cooling. I've done that on a
trip across a desert when the AC conked out - soaked both me and
the dog as often as necessary.

FurPaw

--
My family values don't involve depleted uranium.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old June 1st 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jane

Thanks. Actually we usually only stop once but we have never
taken a dog before.

I am not sure of the air circulation having never sat in the
boot! However, we have now made plans to do a trial trip in the
UK in June, not quite as hot as Greece but at least I will get an
idea of the air circulation. And only 150 miles trip, but again
perhaps a good trial.

Thanks for your suggestions, most appreciated.

Jane

Old June 1st 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Ahem...

Should you need someone to carry your luggage.... raises hand

Just sayin'

Old June 2nd 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jane

Funny that Sharon, had so many similar offers !!

Travel with dog Jane Dogs - general 0 June 1st 07 03:23 PM
dog travel Blackie Dog behavior 1 June 28th 06 05:49 AM
Travel aid [email protected] Dog health 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Travel aid [email protected] Dog breeds 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Travel aid [email protected] Dog behavior 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM