Pet food and behavior -- is there an ingredient in pet food equivalent to sugar or caffeine?

Old June 3rd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
JimD

Default Pet food and behavior -- is there an ingredient in pet food equivalent to sugar or caffeine?

In the spring of last year, we had to put our 10 year old Golden
Retriever down. A tumor had ruptured in his gut and even the vet said
that there was nothing they could do that would be any kind of
guarantee. All of my family was crying as we left Jesse in that vet's
office after watching him breath his last breath. That is one of the
hardest decisions that I have ever made.

After moving to a new city for work and being without the wonderful
clutter and mess of a good family dog for 4 months, we adopted a
beautiful blue weimaraner puppy.

My wife is convinced that many of the "helpful" drugs that we fed our
golden contributed to his early death. We know that goldens have a
history of cancer problems but maybe that is just a congenital
weakness that we aggravate with heartworm poisons and tick poisons and
flea poisons. Does any one else have that opinion?

Is it possible that some of the behavior problems are food related
just like some of the behavior problems of children is food related.
Sugar and caffeine are the main culprits for children and adults. Is
it possible that some of the additives in pet foods have similar
effects on our pets?

We are also concerned about the recent pet food recalls. I have set
up a blog at http://feedingmydog.blogspot.com/ to talk about that. Are
we guilty of putting our pets at risk with our good intentions? Do we
cause some of the hyper pet behavior with the stuff that we feed
them. I sure hope not.

Old June 4th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
JimD

On Jun 3, 1:41 pm, Rocky wrote:
JimD said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have set
up a blog athttp://xxxx.com/

Dang, but it's annoying to see spammers try to jerk tears.

I am sorry that you feel that is all this was. Every bit of what I
said was true about the both the old dog and the new dog.

You seem to know a lot about dogs and their health from the other
posts you have made. Do you think that I am that far off base on the
speculation that food (or at least inappropriate food) may cause
behavior problems?

As for the comment about spamming, I truly hope not. Shopping can be
thought of as the process of looking for a solution to a problem.
Marketing or selling can be thought of as the process of a solution
looking for a problem to solve. I can not and do not force anyone to
do anything here. However, I have offered them a solution that might
fit their problem. If not, no one is harmed.

One thing that I am grateful for -- you did prove that people do read
these messages.

Thank you for the input.
Jim D

Old June 4th 07, 09:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
JimD wrote:
Marketing or selling can be thought of as the process of a solution
looking for a problem to solve.

It can also be thought of as a major annoyance. I don't buy
anything advertised on Usenet, ever. The world is not your
billboard.

One thing that I am grateful for -- you did prove that people do read
these messages.

Do it again and be killfiled, jackass.