Uh-oh

Old June 4th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Terri

Default Uh-oh

Carmine has much more going on upstairs in his cog wheels than I'd
expected it seems. We keep the grandkid's toys in their "toybox" when
they're not here which is an old 4.5 foot long wooden pedestal that used
to hold an aquarium It has one of those pressure hinges that swings shut
at certain points during the opening and closing of the cabinet doors.

The door to the spare bedroom was open and Carmine had watched my husband
put the stuffed toys in there and wanted them. He came into the sewing
room where I was and got my attention by whining and trying to herd me
into the next room.
When we got in there and I figured out what he wanted I told him no and
walked away, finishing what I'd been in the middle of doing. When I
returned that way roughly 10 minutes later he was still there,
standing and staring at the toybox, looking up at me than back
at the toybox. I shook my head, told him no again, he wasn't going to get
it and decided fine, he can just figure it out in due time that I'm
not going to get it for him. Later I came back and while he'd
layed down in front of the toybox, his only movement since since the last
time I checked in on him.

I went to the front of the house to fold the laundry and heard
Paul in the kitchen banging around, asked him what he was getting
(and you know where this is going, right?) and he said "nothing"
and as I poked my head around the door here comes Carmine, very happy
and pleased with himself carrying my grand-daughter's stuffed dinosaur.
And I mean insufferably pleased with himself!
He'd learned that magically wishing for it didn't make the door open,
asking me didn't work so he figured it out for himself how to open
that cabinet door and that's the noise I'd heard, not my husband in the
kitchen. The last time I had a dog that could problem solve was Darcy.
That was a very long time ago indeed.
I never expected this from Carmine.

I fear I'm in deep, deep doo-doo.
Old June 4th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2007-06-03 21:19:09 -0400, Terri said:

so he figured it out for himself

I love those problem solving dogs!

I curse those problem solving dogs!

I agree with this post.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 13th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

ceb wrote in
:

On 2007-06-03 21:19:09 -0400, Terri said:

so he figured it out for himself

I love those problem solving dogs!

I curse those problem solving dogs!

I agree with this post.

I have this thing for smart dogs. Until they use their smarts for evil,
of course. But by then, I'm already smitten because they are smart
enough not to go for the evil until after the paw-wrapping.

Paula