A not so nice 'doggy rule' my dog pays attention to

Old June 4th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default A not so nice 'doggy rule' my dog pays attention to

Hi
My dog--a mixed Terrier mutt--seems to know about a dog rule that I
was not aware of.

If he is allowed to go outside without a leash for his morning jaunt
to take care of his business, he will relieve himself and leave a pile
of excrement on the sidewalk right in front of our main doorway!!
Every day--every time!

I clean it up and tomorrow it happens again. We live on aobut 2 acres
so there is a lot of green area for him to choose.

He also has a habit of leaving 'rememberances' at the bottom of the
rear steps---not as regularly but pretty often.

I would appreciate any and all information about the habit and if I
can do anything to change it.
We have 'talked' but I did not understand his response!

Thanks in Advnance.
Joe

Old June 4th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jun 4, 2:47 am, Mark Shaw wrote:
wrote:
My dog--a mixed Terrier mutt--seems to know about a dog rule that I
was not aware of.
If he is allowed to go outside without a leash

There's your problem right there.

Take him out, on-leash, at the appropriate time, to whatever place
it is you wish him to defecate. Wait there with him until he does
so. Praise him, and return to the house. Let him out again later,
if you wish.

Repeat, repeat, and repeat again.

Oh, and in the interim, wash the sidewalk where he's been defecating
very well, and finish it off with some bleach. And don't let him
go near it for a while.

We have 'talked' but I did not understand his response!

It'd be nice if we had a common language, wouldn't it?

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Of course dogs can see television, but they have

Well, he tries to explain but I am not a good Dog Listener...
Thanks for the time--I will revert back to the trusty old leash.
Take Care
Joe