Results of Jazzy's vet visit

Old June 5th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
~~ Shelly ~~

Default Results of Jazzy's vet visit

Took Jazzy to the vet this morning. Couldn't get a urine sample out of
her - I think she seriously questioned my sanity as I followed her around
the yard with whipped cream container and kept trying to stick it under her
every time she squatted... I'm also not sure I want to know what the
neighbors think, either...

Anyway, she's a lot heavier than we thought - 49 lbs! The vet tech her
temp - can't remember what it was, but I think she said it's about a degree
high. The doc came in and took a quick glance at the rash and said she'd
keep puppy until they were able to get a urine sample, but she was sure that
Jazzy had a UTI. She also said that the vulva was "too far in", but she'd
need to get the rash and UTI treated before she could be sure. Doc seemed
to be in a hurry and left, but she did tell us that she'd have someone teach
us how to trim Jazzy's nails when we came in to pick her up.

Before we left, I went to the front desk to inquire about the bill. I had
made my daughter come with me and also informed her that *she* would be
paying the bill. DD rolled her eyes, but brought her checkbook. She's the
one who begged, pleaded, bargained, and shouted for this dog. I suspect
that if I were to give Jazzy away, it would take DD at least two full days
to notice.

Anyway, I thought the bill was reasonable. DD did not. I decided not to
point out the high cost of health care at that point. DD didn't look in the
mood for hearing anything I had to say.

When I went back several hours later to get Jazzy, the vet was gone so I
couldn't talk to her, but the vet tech was helpful. She showed me how to
trim nails, DD wouldn't do it because most of Jazzy's nails are black, and
that makes it hard to see the little blood vein in the nail. I think I
could do it if there was someone to help me. Many dogs hate having their
nails trimmed, but Jazzy thought it was some kind of game to pull the paw
away, dive in for a quick lick on the face, and then see how many circles
she could turn before stopping suddenly and trying to wave her paws at us.
I apologized for not having a better behaved dog, but the VT seemed fine.
She said Jazzy'd been that way all day - constantly wanting to play and move
around, interested in everything and apparently enjoying every moment. I'll
bet the other dogs hated her happy little guts!

I asked her about Jazzy having pain, and she said she thought there might be
'some discomfort, but no real pain'. VT said it happens sometimes that way,
and if Jazzy proves to be prone to UTI's in the future, I won't be able to
count on a pain response to clue me in. She said the vet wanted Jazzy back
in 10 day's to check on her condition.

So for right now I just have to give half a tablet of Ciprofloxacin twice a
day for ten days.

Question: Will this antibiotic cause stomach upset or diarrhea in Jazzy? I
have to give my kids a couple of spoonfuls of live-cultured yogurt three or
four times a day when they go on antibiotics. Will it be OK to do the same
with Jazzy? She likes yogurt, so there won't be any problem getting her to
eat it, and if I can just toss that tiny little pill on top, I will have a
very easy way to give Jazzy her medication.

Thanks,

~~ Shelly ~~

Old June 5th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

~~ Shelly ~~ wrote:

I'll bet the other dogs hated her
happy little guts!

She sounds like an awfully sweet and gregarious dog.

I asked her about Jazzy having pain, and she said she thought there
might be 'some discomfort, but no real pain'. VT said it happens
sometimes that way, and if Jazzy proves to be prone to UTI's in the
future, I won't be able to count on a pain response to clue me in. She
said the vet wanted Jazzy back in 10 day's to check on her condition.

I had a UTI a couple of years ago, and it was intensely painful.
I'd rather have a week-long migraine than go through that again. My
mom had one earlier this spring, and she said there was zero pain.
She wouldn't have even known she had one except there was blood in
her urine. I assumed they were always painful, but I guess that's
not the case.

Question: Will this antibiotic cause stomach upset or diarrhea in
Jazzy?

It can, for sure.

I have to give my kids a couple of spoonfuls of live-cultured
yogurt three or four times a day when they go on antibiotics. Will it
be OK to do the same with Jazzy? She likes yogurt, so there won't be
any problem getting her to eat it, and if I can just toss that tiny
little pill on top, I will have a very easy way to give Jazzy her
medication.

Yes. You can give Jazzy a dollop of yogurt with each meal, or you
can give it to her separately with her medication. Did the vet show
you how to pill Jazzy? It's not hard, and is useful if she proves
to be sneaky about eating around the pill.

I stand to the dog's right side, wrap my left hand around the top of
her muzzle so that my fingers and thumb push her jaws open. I have
the pill in my right hand, and use that hand to push down on the
lower jaw. I pop the pill as far back into the mouth as I can, then
poke it a little further down with my fingers. It takes about 2
seconds from start to finish. The benefit of giving pills this way
is that you *know* the dog got the medication.

--
Shelly

For The Best Training Results, Here's What You Need To Do [email protected] Dog behavior 6 December 15th 06 03:14 PM
dog car discussion results Cate Dog behavior 0 August 23rd 04 01:25 AM
Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 29 July 21st 04 08:04 AM
Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 0 July 19th 04 01:24 PM
Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 0 July 19th 04 01:20 PM