Only the best for my dogs

Old June 12th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Default Only the best for my dogs

I've been having a lot of work done around the house so there seem to
always be workmen around the house. One of them, Jim, has been well-
trained by his chihuahuas, much to Gunther the Attention Hound's delight.
Gunther follows him around and gets petted every time Jim has a free
hand. He is very good at petting and directing his crews at the same
time.

So the other morning, Gunther came up to me and started whining and
whimpering urgently like he does when he desperately has to go outside to
pee. This was odd since he had just been out half an hour ago and done
all the business a dog should have to do, especially after playing cover-
eachothers'- pee-spots with Sammie. I always feel it is better safe than
sorry when it comes to potty breaks, however, so I dutifully went
downstairs to let him out. He bounded out and did his galloping dance,
which really is hilarious when done by a big huge dork of an ungraceful
beast who looks even bigger and less graceful now that he is blowing
coat, across the yard. It turns out he didn't need to go potty. He'd
just seen that Jim had arrived and was in the backyard. He bounded right
up to him and pushed himself under his arm, which he is not allowed to do
but apparently gets away with with Jim, and was rewarded with full body
rubs with both parties smiling big.

It dawned on me at that moment that Gunther probably thinks that we hired
these guys just to make sure he had playmates all day long. It was
confirmed today. Jim hasn't been around today. Gunther keeps checking
for him and then giving me pleading looks when he can't find him. I
don't know how to tell him that he is going to have to get a job if he
wants to keep a crew of contractors around indefinitely. And a good
paying job at that. Maybe he could learn to fetch tools and get a job
and time with contractors at the same time.

Paula
Old June 12th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

It dawned on me at that moment that Gunther probably thinks that we
hired these guys just to make sure he had playmates all day long.

Well, you did, didn't you???

Maybe he could get a job -- as a contractor's assistant! Try selling this
to Jim, it sounds like Gunther is trying to tell him but perhaps is being
misinterpreted.

It's great to "see" you, Paula! Btw, am I a slow, unrememberful sort of
person or is Gunther a new name in your house -- yes, I know these 2
options are not mutually exclusive! I just don't remember that name.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 12th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"ceb" wrote in message
Paula wrote in
9.11:

It dawned on me at that moment that Gunther probably thinks that we
hired these guys just to make sure he had playmates all day long.

Well, you did, didn't you???

Maybe he could get a job -- as a contractor's assistant! Try selling this
to Jim, it sounds like Gunther is trying to tell him but perhaps is being
misinterpreted.

It's great to "see" you, Paula! Btw, am I a slow, unrememberful sort of
person or is Gunther a new name in your house -- yes, I know these 2
options are not mutually exclusive! I just don't remember that name.

--
Catherine

Isn't Gunther the GSD that is everyone's friend? And I'm glad I wasn't the
only person missing Paula and her stories about the girls and the dogs.

Beth

Old June 12th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Paula,
Thanks for the cute story. You will know where to go looking if he
come up missing. He will have run away to Jim's house. You better find
some more home improvements!!!!
Nice to see you again.

Be Free.....Judy

Old June 13th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

"bethgsd" wrote in

Isn't Gunther the GSD that is everyone's friend? And I'm glad I
wasn't the only person missing Paula and her stories about the girls
and the dogs.

Yes, Gunther is the GR spirit mistakenly placed in a GSD body at birth. He
is such a big galump that we call him Gumper instead of Gunther. He's not
the German concentration camp guard type, he's the Gomer Pyle of dogs. He
thinks he should be petted 24/7. We happen to think that we should be able
to take breaks and perhaps pet one of the other dogs every once in a while.
Since the other dogs are locked into rooms where they can't join the
workmen or get out in all the chaos, he gets Jim and his crew all to
himself. Being a contractor, Jim has no problem being slobbered on,
muddied up or covered in hair. Gunther has died and gone to doggie heaven.

Paula
Old June 13th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

ceb wrote in
:

Paula wrote in
9.11:

It dawned on me at that moment that Gunther probably thinks that we
hired these guys just to make sure he had playmates all day long.

Well, you did, didn't you???

Not exactly. Not that I'm against the bonus, but I was more interested
in the home improvements than the doggie spoiling. I know that's
horrible of me, but my dogs are working on the problem so maybe some day
I'll turn out better.

Maybe he could get a job -- as a contractor's assistant! Try selling
this to Jim, it sounds like Gunther is trying to tell him but perhaps
is being misinterpreted.

Jim calls him his "buddy." Gunther seems to think that is the best job
title. He doesn't think he's really cut out for work. The only job he
feels is appropriate is impersonating a bear rug.

It's great to "see" you, Paula! Btw, am I a slow, unrememberful sort
of person or is Gunther a new name in your house -- yes, I know these
2 options are not mutually exclusive! I just don't remember that name.

He's the GSD who was being beaten up by a spaniel in his foster home and
having a hard time with only visiting kids when he wanted some of his
own, so he ended up at our house. I should have known better than to
take any calls from the GSD rescue after they found out I couldn't foster
Molly without adopting her, but I'm kind of dumb that way. It has all
worked out well, though. I tend to think that things happen for a
reason. But I'm still avoiding any calls from the GSD rescue from now
on.

I haven't been around much. I have been trying to do grad school, take
care of kids and deal with an outbreak of extended family drama all at
the same time. Of course that broke out after I'd already set
renovations in motion so I had being under construction to the list as
well. But I went swimming in our new pool for the first time today (my
kids have been swimming in it a couple weeks now, but I wanted it warmer
before I ventured in)and it's definitely worth it. The front yard will
be finished by the end of the week so the only project left is the sod in
the backyard. The biggest milestone was when the concrete got put in
back. The idiots who put it in didn't pay attention to slope and
drainage, so it actually sloped toward the house. So I took out the old
and had it all redone when the pool concrete was done. A couple months
of dirt and mud with kids and dogs just about killed me. I danced around
almost as much as the dogs did when the concrete was done.

Paula

Old June 13th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

Being a contractor, Jim has no problem being slobbered on,
muddied up or covered in hair. Gunther has died and gone to doggie
heaven.

That last line really messed me up for a minute -- I thought "Gunther?
Dead? The dog who was just enjoying the contractor's company YESTERDAY?

I'm glad I was misreading!

Old June 13th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

ceb wrote in
:

Paula wrote in
9.11:

It dawned on me at that moment that Gunther probably thinks that we
hired these guys just to make sure he had playmates all day long.

Well, you did, didn't you???

Not exactly. Not that I'm against the bonus, but I was more
interested in the home improvements than the doggie spoiling. I know
that's horrible of me, but my dogs are working on the problem so
maybe some day I'll turn out better.

Well, I'm glad they're on the case. I mean, really, putting your own
needs above those of the dogs!

Maybe he could get a job -- as a contractor's assistant! Try selling
this to Jim, it sounds like Gunther is trying to tell him but perhaps
is being misinterpreted.

Jim calls him his "buddy." Gunther seems to think that is the best
job title. He doesn't think he's really cut out for work. The only
job he feels is appropriate is impersonating a bear rug.

I can't get my dogs to go to work, either. Play, sleep, eat, that's all
they care about!

I'm still avoiding any calls from the GSD rescue
from now on.

Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before.

I haven't been around much. I have been trying to do grad school,
take care of kids and deal with an outbreak of extended family drama
all at the same time. Of course that broke out after I'd already set
renovations in motion so I had being under construction to the list as
well.

Wow! That is a lot! Hope things are settling down a bit. Are you working
on a PhD?

But I went swimming in our new pool for the first time today
(my kids have been swimming in it a couple weeks now, but I wanted it
warmer before I ventured in)and it's definitely worth it.

OMG, I should think so. I'm insanely jealous. And putting in a pool is
definitely a home improvement project that the dogs must like...

Old June 14th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

ceb wrote in
:

Paula wrote in
9.11:

ceb wrote in
:

Paula wrote in
9.11:

Not exactly. Not that I'm against the bonus, but I was more
interested in the home improvements than the doggie spoiling. I know
that's horrible of me, but my dogs are working on the problem so
maybe some day I'll turn out better.

Well, I'm glad they're on the case. I mean, really, putting your own
needs above those of the dogs!

I think of it more as joint needs. After all, they like having more
space to lounge around in, too. In fact, they think we should double
the size of the house so they can have twice as many sprawling spaces.
Not that they would then pick any that aren't right in my way...

I'm still avoiding any calls from the GSD rescue
from now on.

Yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before.

No, I really mean it this time!

I haven't been around much. I have been trying to do grad school,
take care of kids and deal with an outbreak of extended family drama
all at the same time. Of course that broke out after I'd already set
renovations in motion so I had being under construction to the list
as well.

Wow! That is a lot! Hope things are settling down a bit. Are you
working on a PhD?

Yep. Things may settle down for a bit soon, but I'm sure more chaos
will then come my way. I ask myself periodically if I was insane when I
decided to go back to school. The answer is definitely yes, but I am
just as convinced that it will be worth it when all is said and done.

But I went swimming in our new pool for the first time today
(my kids have been swimming in it a couple weeks now, but I wanted it
warmer before I ventured in)and it's definitely worth it.

OMG, I should think so. I'm insanely jealous. And putting in a pool is
definitely a home improvement project that the dogs must like...

Molly thinks it is her own personal giant water bowl. Sammie is scared
of it because he is convinced that it is a giant bathtub. Gunther just
sees it as a convenient excuse to have contractors at the house. Faith
can't be reached for comment. She is on strike under the papasan chair
until Anna comes home. It is a huge hit with the kids, though, and
their friends. Part of my evil plan is to make sure my kids and their
friends spend the majority of their time at my house as they are getting
closer to their teen years.

Paula

Old June 14th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

Part of my evil plan is to make sure my kids and their
friends spend the majority of their time at my house as they are
getting closer to their teen years.

That's a great evil plan. My brother and his wife are also working on
that plan -- since not every parent dreams of hosting many teenagers for
years, it seems like it should be a fairly easy plan to execute! And it's
good, not just because your own teens are at home, but because you can
have such a positive influence on their friends as well.

Congrats on starting the PhD. I'm sure that it will be worth it!