Crazy Dog Not So Crazy?

Old June 12th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Crazy Dog Not So Crazy?

Pan considers herself an alert dog. Half the time when she barks, there is
no discernible reason for it. Two nights ago, she started barking really
early in the morning, and wouldn't shut up. Hackles up and all. Let her
out to take a look, and all she'd do is stand near the front door and bark.
Rajesh said that when he was out there with her, the motion sensing light by
the garage went on and we figured that the deer must've set her off.
Finally, I told her to just be quiet and go lie down. She did as told, but
let out periodic low rumbling growls before eventually falling asleep.

Anyway, this morning, when Rajesh was out walking Khan, the neighbor came
running over to tell him that there was a Black Bear sighting. At the
corner of our street and the nearest major intersection. Early Monday
morning.

I bet the bear passed through our yard on the way, and that's what Pan was
going all ape over.

Suja

Old June 12th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

"Suja" wrote in
:

I bet the bear passed through our yard on the way, and that's what Pan
was going all ape over.

And if a bear isn't worth a dog going ape for, then what is???

You must bow down to her superior wisdom, and take her more seriously
next time.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 12th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"ceb" wrote in message:

And if a bear isn't worth a dog going ape for, then what is???

I totally agree with that.

You must bow down to her superior wisdom, and take her more seriously
next time.

It would be easier to take the dipstick more seriously if she didn't go ape
over something or the other on a fairly routine basis. Although, this was
more intense than just about anything else.

The government center had fireworks over the past weekend, and fireworks
must be barked at endlessly of course (we now have a routine, whereby she
finds me [and tries to sit on my lap, not part of the plan], and I sit with
her until the eeevil fireworks go away, while she only growls under her
breath). Then there is some dog that lives somewhere around here, that is
quite possibly shouting some colorful obsceneties at her, because she must
get the last word in. Then there are the people doing construction waaay
back behind our woods, probably about 1000 ft. away, and they must be warned
to stay away, since they're clearly eeevil and she must protect her turf.
And....

Left up to her own devices, she would be one of those dogs that would bark
at the wind or the rustling of the leaves. Thankfully for all concerned, I
absolutely cannot *stand* barkey dogs, so she only gets to do her job
briefly before she is thanked for it and asked to shut up.

Suja

Old June 13th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

"Suja" wrote in
:

Left up to her own devices, she would be one of those dogs that would
bark at the wind or the rustling of the leaves. Thankfully for all
concerned, I absolutely cannot *stand* barkey dogs, so she only gets
to do her job briefly before she is thanked for it and asked to shut
up.

Hey, you don't know what's making those leaves rustle. It could be
trouble, nothing but trouble!

Zoe doesn't bark a lot, but she barks at anything novel in her
environment. As I like to say, it's hard to believe it's a sign of
intelligence when your dog is barking at your new doormat!

Old June 24th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

ceb wrote in
:

Zoe doesn't bark a lot, but she barks at anything novel in her
environment. As I like to say, it's hard to believe it's a sign of
intelligence when your dog is barking at your new doormat!

But has she had a standoff with a pillow sham and then pranced around at
her prowess in keeping the horses on the sham at a scared frozen
standstill?

Paula
Old June 25th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

ceb wrote in
:

Zoe doesn't bark a lot, but she barks at anything novel in her
environment. As I like to say, it's hard to believe it's a sign of
intelligence when your dog is barking at your new doormat!

But has she had a standoff with a pillow sham and then pranced around
at her prowess in keeping the horses on the sham at a scared frozen
standstill?

Paula

No! But then, so few have! Now just who are we talking about here? I
would like for it to be the German Shepherd, but I suspect it is a
certain poodle-type.

Old June 26th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

ceb wrote in
:

But has she had a standoff with a pillow sham and then pranced around
at her prowess in keeping the horses on the sham at a scared frozen
standstill?

Paula

No! But then, so few have! Now just who are we talking about here? I
would like for it to be the German Shepherd, but I suspect it is a
certain poodle-type.

It was the chihuahua. She has since made peace with the pillow sham and
Anna's horse decor bedroom was saved!

Paula
Old June 27th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

It was the chihuahua. She has since made peace with the pillow sham
and Anna's horse decor bedroom was saved!

I forgot about the chihuahua -- of course it was the chihuahua!!

Glad the horse decor was saved! Chis are so small, I can see how even
pictures of horses could be quite threatening! Or perhaps it's more a
need to dominate them, even pictorially.

Old June 28th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

ceb wrote in
:

Paula wrote in
9.11:

It was the chihuahua. She has since made peace with the pillow sham
and Anna's horse decor bedroom was saved!

I forgot about the chihuahua -- of course it was the chihuahua!!

Glad the horse decor was saved! Chis are so small, I can see how even
pictures of horses could be quite threatening! Or perhaps it's more a
need to dominate them, even pictorially.

It's definitely a domination thing. Chis only know threatening as a
verb, not an adjective. It pisses her off when people get frozen on the
Tivo, too. She snarls at the frozen people, jumps at them, barks and is
absolutely relentless until they give in and move, dammit! We won't even
get into how she treats the California Dairy cows. Turns out she hates
talking dogs, too. There was a commercial on tonight that has a talking
dog. She was cool when the dog was sitting there, but when they computer
animated a moving mouth on it, she wasn't having any of that.

Paula
Old June 28th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

It's definitely a domination thing. Chis only know threatening as a
verb, not an adjective. It pisses her off when people get frozen on
the Tivo, too. She snarls at the frozen people, jumps at them, barks
and is absolutely relentless until they give in and move, dammit! We
won't even get into how she treats the California Dairy cows. Turns
out she hates talking dogs, too. There was a commercial on tonight
that has a talking dog. She was cool when the dog was sitting there,
but when they computer animated a moving mouth on it, she wasn't
having any of that.

I sense that there is much laughter in your home...

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
& Queenie the black gold retriever
& Max the pomeranian
& Rosalie the calico cat

Need advice/help dog is crazy Ant Dog behavior 7 March 15th 06 10:00 PM
Go crazy, folks! Go crazy! Janet B Dog behavior 5 January 20th 06 01:22 PM
My crazy mutt ceb Dog behavior 0 October 4th 04 03:29 PM
This Dog is Driving Me Crazy Leah Dog behavior 118 September 27th 04 06:14 PM
This Dog is Driving Me Crazy Leah Dog behavior 0 September 19th 04 09:25 PM