Addison's disease?

Old June 14th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cornwagon

Default Addison's disease?

I'm thinking my friends dog has addisons. Her dog (Tiffany) is at my
house because she wasn't eating and my friend has health problems so I
brought Tiffany home to try and get her to eat. She has been gaining
since she has been her but very slowly. I had her blood work done and
here is the results

BUN/Creatinine Ratio HIGH 40/lab range 4-27

Calcium Low 8.6/lab range 8.9-11.4mg/dl

Glucose LOW 49/lab range 70-138 mg/dl

Neutrophils HIGH 80/lab range 60-77%

Eosinophils LOW 1/lab range 2-10%

Platelet Count HIGH 626/lab range 170-400

Is this consistent with Addison's dIsease?
I'm going to take her to an internist Monday, but I would llike to
have some idea when I take her in.

Thanks so much!!

Old June 15th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"cornwagon" wrote in message
ups.com...

BUN/Creatinine Ratio HIGH 40/lab range 4-27
Calcium Low 8.6/lab range 8.9-11.4mg/dl
Glucose LOW 49/lab range 70-138 mg/dl

Here's a site to explain lab values (chemistry section only).
http://www.nwlabs.co.uk/testinterpindx.html

Had this dog fasted for 12 hours before the test? Sometimes a recent meal
can elevate Bun/creatinine. The only way to find out if it's kidney
problems is to fast the dog and get bloodwork rerun, and take in a urine
sample also (first pee of the morning - put in fridge if not going to vet
immediately). Kidney problems cannot be diagnosed solely on blood work.
And while we're on kidney problems, you are aware of the pet food recall
that went on for 2 months aren't you?

If this dog hasn't been eating properly for a while, sometimes the blood
values are all over the map.

Neutrophils HIGH 80/lab range 60-77%
Eosinophils LOW 1/lab range 2-10%
Platelet Count HIGH 626/lab range 170-400

Here's a section that explains the CBC part of the lab work:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/lab.asp

Eosinophils are only notable when they're elevated - which usually indicates
parasites of some kind. A high neutrophil count may indicate infection, but
this dog's results aren't that far out of range. High platelet count -
don't know about that one - they only seem concerned about low counts.

Is this consistent with Addison's dIsease?

........don't know - what was the Na/K ratio? Reasons could range from
Addison's, toxic food, kidney problems, hypoparathyroidism If they didn't do
that part you need to get a full chem panel run on a fasting dog. You
basically need more basic info.

good luck
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old June 15th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cornwagon

On Jun 14, 4:53 pm, "buglady" wrote:
"cornwagon" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

The Na/K ratio was fine. I'm sure Tiffany had fasted because she
wasn't eating and was so weak when I saw her, that's why I took her
home. The vet seemed to think she was very stressed and that's why she
wasn't eating ( my friend is on disability for depression), so I took
her to my house and now she is eating. I'm going to ask to get another
chem panel and make sure she is fasting and see if it is better now
that she is eating. Thank you so much for your replies, I truly
appreciate it!

Joint Disease? GoldenFan Dog health 10 March 30th 07 05:08 PM
Kidney Disease? Suja Dog health 6 March 24th 07 01:24 PM
addison's disease in dogs JULIE442 Dog health 2 November 25th 03 02:21 PM
addison's disease in dogs JULIE442 Dog health 0 November 25th 03 01:44 PM