Gray muzzle

Old June 15th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Gray muzzle

Hi Y'all,
My most recent addition is Jack. He is definitely a PBT mix and some
days I think it is some kind of hound and other days I think he may be
mixed with Lab.
He is brindle. He has been called a Catahoula hound, but he sure does
have the PBT head.
He has been with us for a year and a half. My current pack of four
are all street dogs that I rescued. I have no history on any of them.
The Vet guessed he was two (when I first got him). Every other dog
has always been estimated to be one.
He is getting shades of gray right around his nose. I wonder if he
is older than I think?
He has concerned me from the beginning. He has always been S-l-o-w to
catch on. I dismissed that as never having much stimulation or
interaction with humans? He was the PBT with the pad lock around his
neck and a logging chain tied to the the fence. He seems straight in
the rear (almost stiff) and just when I say that he runs like the wind
and can turn on a dime.
Buck, seemed to get gray at what I considered a young age. He is a
Lab. The problem is I can't remember what I considered young now, as he
is 15.
Jack has become more affectionate and attentive in the year and a half
he has been here and I know all dogs are different. He just seems so
slow to learn.
Does anyone know of a dog getting gray at an estimated 3 and 1/2 years
old? Is that common or more common in some breeds than others?
Thanks...

Be Free.....Judy

Old June 15th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judith Althouse wrote:

Does anyone know of a dog getting gray at an estimated 3 and 1/2 years
old? Is that common or more common in some breeds than others?

Greying varies hugely between breeds and from one individual to
another. I don't think you can guess age based solely on the amount
of grey on a dog's muzzle.

--
Shelly
Old June 15th 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Shelly,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I kind of thought that was
going to be the answer but just wanted someone else's opinion.

Be Free.....Judy

Old June 15th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judith Althouse wrote:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I kind of thought that was
going to be the answer but just wanted someone else's opinion.

You may have a doggie Taylor Hicks. But it's often hard to
tell - I adopted a dog I was told was 5 years old and nobody
had reason to think otherwise until he had X-rays done. The
radiographer said he was actually about 5 years older than
we thought. But I know a boxer whose muzzle started greying
quite young.

Old June 15th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
And then Melanie posts
about that rescue puppy in Vancouver. Melanie knows just when
to prey upon the weak.

You're going to end up with a houseful of dogs.

Oh, wait.

Old June 15th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Judith Althouse wrote:
[...]

Molly (BC) began graying around age 4. Pretty much her entire head went
white. Her hearing failed, too. By age 10 she was quite deaf (she
lived to age 15).

I sometimes wonder if the graying was part of the deafness. Dogs with
white over the ears may be deaf due to the lack of melanin in the hairs
of the inner ear. What if her inner ear hairs lost their pigment just
like her face and outer ears?

Old June 15th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Melinda,
That would be alright (Taylor Hicks). I have always been surprised
when every rescue dog I get is always estimated to be 1 year.
I am not fond of the Vet that I took Jack to the first time around. I
asked what breed he thought he was and he responded abruptly a PBT like
I was some kind of a damned fool. I politely asked yeah and what else?
He insisted he was full PBT. When I asked how old he was he was looking
at his ass end and said 2 years old.
You mentioned having your dog X-rayed and that you had been told he
was five years old when you got him. Later X-rays proved him to be
twice that age.
I am curious about the X rays were they done for a particular reason
other than to determine age?
I guess it doesn't matter how old Jack is. I love him and was just
wondering.
Thanks for taking the time....

Be Free.....Judy

Old June 15th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judith Althouse wrote:
I am curious about the X rays were they done for a particular reason
other than to determine age?

He was having some pretty serious mobility problems.

Old June 16th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

A couple of folks remarked
as to how grey Friday is going! He just turned 6! I've noticed
grey on his ear tips, but I suppose the muzzle is getting
lighter, too.

He's only 6! I'm freakin' devasted.

Franklin too (and it really show up on a black dog). Mostly just his
chin, but definitely gray. :-( Lucy has significant gray on her face,
but it's not as easy to see, since she's relatively light golden (but
she's 10.5!). My first Golden started turning gray at TWO. Between
that and the fact that he was born mature, people always thought he was
old when he was in fact a young dog. They realized that once they saw
him react to water, a tennis ball, or such!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 16th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Janet Boss" wrote:

Franklin too (and it really show up on a black dog). Mostly just his
chin, but definitely gray. :-(

Brenin's muzzle is solid black**, and he started showing grey in it
somewhere between 3 and 4. However, he was such an over-the-top energetic
butthead at that age, nobody ever thought he was old. :-D He's now 12, and
his muzzle is more grey than black, but he's still enough of a butthead that
people generally don't peg him as old; middle-aged at the most.

The funny thing about it is, people *have* been assuming that *Morag* is
old all her life. Partially because her natural colorng is light sable with
white/cream markings, including cream-colored muzzle; plus, to many at the
park she seems sedate in contrast to Brenin (and even more so when the
contrast was to Bren AND Rocsi). I even someone come running up to me after
an agility run once, asking "How old is that dog??"; she was quite surprised
when I replied that Morag was only 5 - she'd thought she'd seen some sort of
miracle senior dog. G

Sarah F.
NATCH-2 Brenin, CGC; AD; Triple Triple Superior, TG-E, TN-E
Gwydion, Buddha Cat
NATCH-3 Morag Thistledown, Triple Triple Superior, Triple Versatility,
S-TN-E, O-TG-E
Robyn, Master of Meezer Mischief

**Judy, I don't know if you've ever seen pictures of Bren, since I've only
been on the group sporadically during the time you've been a regular; in
case not, I'll mention that he's got typical "masked" coloring -a solid dark
yellow/gold color with black muzzle and brown ears.

to muzzle or not to muzzle culprit Dog behavior 58 October 4th 05 01:26 PM
Brandys sick ? on droopy eye & muzzle Spot Dog health 2 March 10th 05 05:27 PM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 24 October 19th 03 06:55 PM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 08:36 PM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 08:36 PM