I made a little blooper

Old June 18th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default I made a little blooper

Not being used to Google's friggin "groups" interface, it turned out a
post I made to Jerry was sent as "personal reply" instead of being
posted in the group. If you're as new as me to this group, don't take
his tone seriously, look at what the guy is trying to accomplish
instead.

Here be the post:

Hi Jerry.

know what?
Despite you being rude and obnoxius and a really big
asshole when communicating with _people_,
i did check out your manual.
It makes sense.
A lot of sense.
I guess my best option right now is to
actually throw away most other litterature and magazines I have on the
issue and start implementing your method instead.
It seems a lot simpler and a good way to actually be able to get along
with my dog.
Now if you'd just linked to that friggin report in the first place,
I wouldn't have considered you the asshole you portray yourself as.

Knowing that I had some problems finding his manual, here is the link:
http://hereisthelink.com/WitsEnd

READ IT, instead of getting offended

Old June 18th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On 18 Juni, 16:02, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article . com,
What's that plonking sound I hear?

Probably the sound of your peasized brain hitting the floor.

Old June 19th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote in message
ps.com...
HOWEDY Rumble.ape,

I couldn't make hide nor hare HOWETA the link and
furthermore, it appears to be an older edition. Here's
the latests edition: http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3AD21A3D

Actually, Jerry called me a few weeks ago and we spoke for quite a while on
the phone. I was a bit surprised that he does not seem at all like his
on-line persona, and in fact was very reasonable and helpful in convincing
me to read his manual and start trying some of the exercises with Muttley.
He emailed copies to me, and I have combined the first two sections in one
text file, and have it available for easy download at:

www.smart.net/~pstech/HoweManual.txt

It is about 380 kB, and you can download it in about a minute on dialup. I
don't know if anything has been left out. There were some newsgroup quotes
that I didn't think needed to be included, and I don't think there is a
part three yet. I may convert the text to HTML for easier reading and
printing, or perhaps make it into a Word document or PDF. But, for now, the
plain text version should at least be much easier to download and read than
the Google archive.

As an engineer with a logically-wired brain, I still have some difficulty
accepting the exact procedures that are specified, but I do intend to try
them. They are gentle methods, and certainly can do no harm. Why not give
it a try?

I really don't think Muttley needs to be trained with strongarm corrective
methods or even reward-based "bribes". He responds very well to gentle
"requests", so there is no need for demanding "commands". I can sense that
he trusts me, as I can trust him to be well behaved on his own in various
situations.

I'm putting up a fence for him this week. I will probably be able to train
him well enough that it might not be needed, but I'll feel safer with a
fence for now. I know from experience that he will not "run away", because
he feels safe and happy here. However, there are many temptations like deer
and other animals, and I'm afraid he might chase them across the road and
get hit by a car.

Paul and Muttley

Old June 19th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:00:40 -0000, "
wrote:

...a
post I made to Jerry was sent as "personal reply" instead of being
posted in the group...

That's not "a blooper": it's a lucky brake for us! Until you pasted it
into your post!

If you wish to be seen here, and therefore heard, keep Jerry Howe out of
your posts.

If you need help setting up a filter, someone here will guide you
through the procedure.

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old June 19th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Michael A. Ball wrote:

If you need help setting up a filter, someone here will guide you
through the procedure.

easier to just filter both of them!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 21st 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On 19 Juni, 17:44, Michael A. Ball wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:00:40 -0000, "
That's not "a blooper": it's a lucky brake for us! Until you pasted it
into your post!

A "brake" is something you have on vehicles, to stop said vehicles.
A "break" on the other hand is what you should give Jerry. He's right.
You're not. End of story.

If you wish to be seen here, and therefore heard, keep Jerry Howe out of
your posts.

I don't really see the point in doing that. Why should I not be able
to mention the only sane person in this group? The rest of you seem to
think that physically harming and shooting animals is the "only way".

Although Jerry might seem a bit fanatical, I've always preferred non-
violent fanatics over the violent ones. Like Jesus. "Don't hurt each
other". Why would hurting a dog be better than hurting a person? Why
would hurting any animal be the "right way" of handling things?
Violence and bribery is never a good way to handle things.

If you need help setting up a filter, someone here will guide you
through the procedure.

Oh, see, I know how to set up filters, and I filter spam. Not
opinions. I like free speech. The right to hold different opinions is
very dear to me. As long as the opinions in question are not about
violence. Violence and oppression are "a Bad Thing"(tm). Freedom and
non-violence are "a Good Thing"(tm).

Whatever it takes.

Good for you.

Old June 21st 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On 19 Juni, 17:50, Janet Boss
wrote:

easier to just filter both of them!

Flamewars is what makes usenet great Janet.

Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

You like hurting your best friends, don't you?

Old June 21st 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
" wrote:

You like hurting your best friends, don't you?

On the contrary. I love training them so they can go places, do things,
have a really good life. Training opens up a big wide world for dogs -
it's really great!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 21st 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

On the contrary. I love training them so they can go places, do things,
have a really good life. Training opens up a big wide world for dogs -
it's really great!

Amen. I *love* having a dog who likes going places with me, who is
an excellent traveler, and who is well behaved wherever I take her.
And, it makes me happy whenever a self-proclaimed "not a dog
person" tells me how much they like Miss Brown. I figure that those
sorts of positive interactions are good for everyone involved.

So, yeah, training your dog so that it can be a good citizen in the
big, wide world is a Very Good Thing.

--
Shelly