Poop scoop pollution

Old June 18th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default Poop scoop pollution

On the one hand, I feel good that I am among the
few on my urban block to observe the rules and
to pick up my dog's leavings. But I've been using
the plastic bag that the NYT comes in every morning
and I'm thinking that this is not exactly environmentally
friendly.

I'm acquainted with some of the commercial
products like "Dispoz-A-Scoop" but that
product says nothing about biodegradability.

So maybe it's better not to pick up if I
cannot find a biodegradable product,
or should one use paper bags?

I bet that we dog lovers are also environmentalists,
so does anyone have an answer or suggestion?

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old June 18th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
A. Brain wrote:
So maybe it's better not to pick up if I
cannot find a biodegradable product,
or should one use paper bags?

Paper bag. Dog poop can contain the usual pathogens like
e. Coli but it can also contain various sorts of parasites
and parasite eggs. You don't want it washing into the
ground, into the drainage system, etc.

Old June 18th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article
,
"A. Brain" wrote:

So maybe it's better not to pick up if I
cannot find a biodegradable product,
or should one use paper bags?

I bet that we dog lovers are also environmentalists,
so does anyone have an answer or suggestion?

I read about some biodegradable bags that apparently can be flushed.
Downside is that if the consistency is not right, well..........

I solve the daily problem by having my dogs eliminate in their own yard
(not possible if you live in an apartment, I realize) and flushing. For
travel, I use bags that are meant to break down fairly quickly.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 18th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Use a paper bag then. Not picking up your dog waste is not only against the
law in most communities, but also exposes other animals and people to
possible parasites and is a huge attraction for flies and other pets.

Old June 19th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Sharon Too" wrote in message
and is a huge attraction for flies and other pets.

...............and shoes!

Old June 19th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"A. Brain" wrote in message

So maybe it's better not to pick up if I
cannot find a biodegradable product,
or should one use paper bags?

.........don't be silly. And how do you know that NYT bag isn't part corn
starch and made to biodegrade?

Old June 19th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:10:11 GMT, "A. Brain" wrote:

On the one hand, I feel good that I am among the
few on my urban block to observe the rules and
to pick up my dog's leavings. But I've been using
the plastic bag that the NYT comes in every morning
and I'm thinking that this is not exactly environmentally
friendly.

I'm acquainted with some of the commercial
products like "Dispoz-A-Scoop" but that
product says nothing about biodegradability.

So maybe it's better not to pick up if I
cannot find a biodegradable product,
or should one use paper bags?

I bet that we dog lovers are also environmentalists,
so does anyone have an answer or suggestion?

I have a Doggie Dooley (mini septic system) for dog poo. I can only use it
about 8 months out of the year, though, because temps have to be above 40
degrees, IIRC. The rest of the year, and when travelling, I use dog waste
bags that break down in heat. So when they go on the landfill, and maybe
before, they disintigrate. I know they do because I accidentally stored
some in my hot garage and they turned into flakes that looked very much
like ashes from a fire. I buy them at my local feed store. They are black
and have handles that tie.

When I use them at home, I use them on a scooper made just for attaching
bags that have handles. They are pretty large and hold about 5 days worth
of Roxy poo. I scoop every day until it's full, tie the bag and toss it,
and then replace the bag--so they are pretty economical, too.

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

........don't be silly. And how do you know that NYT bag isn't part corn
starch and made to biodegrade?

A simple solution would be for the OP to call the NYT directly and ask them.

"For newspaper delivery questions: 1-800-NYTIMES (1-800-698-4637) or e-mail
."

Old June 19th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Pegster

"A. Brain" wrote in message
On the one hand, I feel good that I am among the
few on my urban block to observe the rules and
to pick up my dog's leavings. But I've been using
the plastic bag that the NYT comes in every morning
and I'm thinking that this is not exactly environmentally
friendly.

I'm acquainted with some of the commercial
products like "Dispoz-A-Scoop" but that
product says nothing about biodegradability.

So maybe it's better not to pick up if I
cannot find a biodegradable product,
or should one use paper bags?

I bet that we dog lovers are also environmentalists,
so does anyone have an answer or suggestion?

--
A. Brain

If you google "biodegradable dog poop bags," you'll get a whole bunch of
places from which to order biodegradable bags. Probably not as cost
effective as the NYT bags, but there you have it. Around here (Austin) most
parks and public areas have them available for general use. We're on an
aquifer that supplies most of our drinking water, etc. So, it's important
here to keep picked up.

Peggy

Old August 3rd 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

"Pegster" wrote in message

If you google "biodegradable dog poop bags," you'll get a whole bunch
of places from which to order biodegradable bags. Probably not as
cost effective as the NYT bags, but there you have it. Around here
(Austin) most parks and public areas have them available for general
use. We're on an aquifer that supplies most of our drinking water,
etc. So, it's important here to keep picked up.

As it happens, I was up in Austin recently and
my rental house is near Gus Fruh Park--the
Greenbelt. So I took my little dog down there.

I found that the city supplies
biodegradable bags in that and other
parks. Also found out that
you can get them at PETCO.